I held Donna in my hands.....

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
DougK, I held her CD in my hand it was a best of CD....

Went through the tracks in my head each one familiar, reminded me of the 80's - but I could not bring myself to buy.

Instead bought Gregory Porter's Liquid Spirit deluxe edition, Portico Quartet and John Medeski (falsely listed as jazz - it's more like classical /Piano solo).

Liquid Spirit is ok but could do with a bit more resolution in the mix.

But 'Musical Genocide' works well (a Marvin Gaye rework - good track) should have extended the instrumental bit at the end)

The others - will have to grow on me.

But Donna, maybe next time..... :)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
Instead bought Gregory Porter's Liquid Spirit deluxe edition, Portico Quartet and John Medeski (falsely listed as jazz - it's more like classical /Piano solo).

Yes but he's a recognized jazz keyboardist, so you can understand the classification. It's lovely but very different to what he does with Medeski, Martin and Wood (never mind DRKWAV!).

Liquid Spirit is ok but could do with a bit more resolution in the mix.

It could do with a change of pace occasionally as well...

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Lol......

Anyway just to add that Gregory Porter is settling in nicely, it sounds nice now. Took a while to aclamaitise to the production. The Marvin Gaye reworks (there are a few) work for me and I'm appreciating the muscians now. Some of the tracks have a very 'old school' feel to them from another time. But the sets working with it.

Just thought I'd share.

Lhc - the John Medeski is 'A Different Time' - Youtubed him, this is vey different from his other stuff. Its in my collection now so maybe one day it'll get another chance or see what tracks can find its way onto a mix cd for the car. It was a random/impulse buy (something I have to do)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
Lhc - the John Medeski is 'A Different Time' - Youtubed him, this is vey different from his other stuff. Its in my collection now so maybe one day it'll get another chance or see what tracks can find its way onto a mix cd for the car. It was a random/impulse buy (something I have to do)
Yeah I've had it since it was released (got pretty much everything of theirs I think), apparently it's a very early French wooden framed grand piano, gives it a different tone (it says here on the sleeve notes...).

TRENDING THREADS