I Have 3-4k to spend on a AV and speaker kit-please advise

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Evening; Ladies and Gent;

im moving to a new flat in London ( yes flat- key word there ) so i am looking for a system which is small and discreet yet punchy enough that between reasonable hours of the day i can watch films and enjoy the system.

I have thus far settled on a Bose Acoustimass 15 for the speakers and Onkyo TX-NR709, But having descreetly haunted the forumn i have noticed that Bose are regarded with an element of contempt? I do enjoy the styling of it though.

Ideas?

drichardb

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
With 3-4k to spend you can do a bit better than that!!!

Go have a look at the reviews section to see what I mean.

But just to get you started an Onkyo TX-NR1009 receiver along with Monitor Audio's R90 HD10 package would still leave you with enough for a quality TV to go with it.

Don't take my word for it - go do some reading! :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
If you like a musical presentation, look at Arcam + Kef (R series) or PMC

If you prefer a more forward and exciting presentation, look at Pioneer + Monitor Audio.

A demo is essential to see which you prefer.

For a sub, possibly look to one from BK.

XSnPX

May 14, 2008
Visit site
You have a great budget to buy a very decent system, and as the others said, a demo is a must!

I recently purchased, and listened to 3 or 4 pairs of speakers on two different amps and the difference was immence at half your budget.

Make a good selection of speakers first, 3 or 4 and a couple amps and have a good mornign or afternoon at the hifi shop... :)

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Ben.

XMB

Jun 13, 2009
Visit site
As others have already said you need to start with the speakers and arrange a listening session as these are the key to your system.

I would look at the Monitor Audio Radius R270HD10 package as the R270HD floor standers are nice and slim but pack a real punch, even at low volumes. You could also look at the Apex AV if your budget will stretch.

Yamaha receivers (RX-A2010 or older RX-V3067) pair nicely with the Monitor Audio speakers but also consider Denon (AVR3312) and Pioneer (SC-LX75).

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi Laurieg

The automatic thing for most to do is rubbish the Bose brand, as many people just repeat what they've heard someone else say, which chances are, they heard someone else say it. Whether any of these have actually listened to Bose is another story...

Bose products, while cleverly marketed, are generally purchased after a demo - very few people just walk into a store and buy Bose because someone else told them it was good, or because they have seen an ad. Some people even compare to alternative brands, but still come back to the Bose because of it's compactness, even if they feel it's not the best sounding product they've heard. While the Bose Acoustimass sounds fine for movies, you will get better sounding speaker packages for music, but these are generally going to use larger speakers, take up more space, and be more noticable. The Monitor Audio Radius HD range will be the main alternative (and one of the smallest), reproducing movies and music to a higher quality. The thing to do is go and have a listen for yourself and see what you think - while it might not be to the liking of an audiophile, it may just well be exactly what you're after.

The Acoustimass packages are easy to drive, and the 709 will do the job just fine. If ever you move to a larger place, the 709 will stand you in good stead with larger speakers, if required.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
For small, punchy and discreet my thoughts would be a Paradigm Millenia 5.1 pack with the Anthem MRX-300. The speakers are about the same size as a Bose double cube and the sub ( that can be wall mounted if you wish ) is a third of the size with lots of punch. With one of the finest room equalisation systems going in both the sub and the amp your system will sound first class for movies and music even if your room is less than ideal. Our system works surprisingly well on the shop floor.

The system is bang in the middle of your budget so there is still room for a bluray, apple TV, cables and a few bottles of beer.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
For small, punchy and discreet my thoughts would be a Paradigm Millenia 5.1 pack with the Anthem MRX-300. The speakers are about the same size as a Bose double cube and the sub ( that can be wall mounted if you wish ) is a third of the size with lots of punch. With one of the finest room equalisation systems going in both the sub and the amp your system will sound first class for movies and music even if your room is less than ideal. Our system works surprisingly well on the shop floor.

The system is bang in the middle of your budget so there is still room for a bluray, apple TV, cables and a few bottles of beer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts