i/c match for Nad/KEF set-up - Chord/Atlas/VanDenHul

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello all, this is my first post on this forum. Love all the opinions and debate!!!

My set-up is NAD C350, NAD C541i, KEF iQ3s, MJ Acoustic Ref100 sub, Chord Carnival Silver Plus speaker cable. I've currently got a QED qunex1 i/c and I swapped it out for a cheap no name i/c which revealed much more detail and separation!!!!! Boy was I... upset. I want a new i/c and so far my choices are between:

Chord Chorus 2 (out of my budget)

Altlas Titan (some great deals out there)

Atlas Voyager (more my price range!)

Chord Chameleon Silver Plus

Van Den Hul The Bay

I would like my system to be as transparent as possible and I don't want to lose any of the mid/treb clarity/detail. I will be auditioning the Chorus cables but can't audition the atlas where I am. Please give e any feedback and experiences you have had with these cables and which are over-kill for my system.

Thanks a buch, best wishes,

Skin

Adnams

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
Try Audioquest as well, I have used Atlas previously and the Audioquest cables work much better for me in my system.You also get some goods deals as well, sorry to confuse you further, but if you can try as many as you can in your system making sure the dealer has run them in.

Good Luck.

A

Anonymous

Thank you, I've checked them out. Is the diamondback over-kill?

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I like the chord chameleon silver plus, tried vandenhul found them a little bland sound, lacked sparkle at the top end. Some like Atlas, I talked to the local shop that sell both chord and atlas, they overall said they prefered chord on about 80% of the systems they sell. Chord speaker leads with chord interconnects usually are a good match.

I also like kimber timbre, pbj and Nordost blue heaven - Nordost will certaintly brighten a dull system. It can be a little lean though.

Cheers

Steve.

A

Anonymous

My local shop has a used Chord Chameleon Silver Plus that is in perfect condition but well used for 70 quid. Is that a good buy?

Adnams

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
Daimondback is an Excellent cable and never overkill, your system will start to realise its full potential with a great I/C.Go for it!

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
It is worth striking up a good relationship with a (local) shop - they will usually be keen to discuss matters with you and let you try/audition kit. Speak to your local shop and see if they will let you give the Chameleon a listen; at least it will be well run-in by now.

Also, you mention the Atlas products. I assume you have seen the deals from Weymouth Hif-Fi? They seem very helpful and obliging. They have sent me several different Atlas bargains on a sale or return basis for a couple of weeks. Bear in mind the cables are supposed to take at least 48hrs burn-in.

A

Anonymous

Hey ESP2009,

Which Atlas cables did you get and did you like them? The Weymouth Hif-Fi deals are awesome! Thanks for the post.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
I am working my way through the Navigator, Titan, and Opus I/Cs. These are up against my existing Merlin Chopin, SHB Avatar, and Atlas Compass I/Cs. I intend to post a more detailed recounting of the saga when I have finished my listening at the end of next week. However...

...The Opus is definitely going to be kept - improves on the Compass (and the Compass goes onto the Blu-ray to DACMagic.

The Navigators are most likely to be returned because they don't seem to give anything the Chopin and SHB Avatar aren't already. They do perform well, though.

The Titans, though a tad expensive, are certainly providing that extra performance which boosts my listening experience. Value for money? That's a whole different argument! The step up in performance is not a major one. But maybe a good investment for the future?

If you can afford it on your plastic, give them a go - you can probably get the same sale or return agreement. Remember, it's a matter of matching the cable type to your system and your own preferences in terms of the sounds that it makes. By now I imagine you will have read that the Van den Hul cables tend to be more mellow and warmer, reining-in any excess brightness on some systems. The SHB products are cheap and very cost-effective, but can bring out too much brightness in some systems (they have certainly done so in mine on occasion). I have found the Merlin and Atlas products to be more balanced overall, but that may not apply to someone else's set-up.

Try before you buy is often emphasised in these pages - with good reason. Sale or return is a good way forward if offered.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts