Question I bought a 180g album but it's too heavy for my "Music Center Hi FI System. Is there anything I can do ?

The hi fi is a basic, inexpensive, 30 year old hi fi. It has absolutely no problems with lighter weights of vinyl.
Is this a wind-up?? :)
Is it a Heavy Metal album?

Please explain exactly what happens when you try to play the 180gm LP.
These are only 30gm heavier than a standard LP so cannot see why it would not play it

Oh!, welcome to the forum by the way.

DCarmi

Your posting suggests that the turntable either does not spin or spins slowly. Sounds like it could be a motor issue. Time to replace, methinks.

I have seen speaker and turntable packages on Az for a couple of hundred quid. Search for AT-LP60X (the turn turntable). I am guessing that is probably about the equivalent value your vintage music centre was. You can go cheaper but..

An AT-LP60X package will certainly be an upgrade.

pgowen

Mar 18, 2021
Visit site
Is this a wind-up?? :)
Is it a Heavy Metal album?

Please explain exactly what happens when you try to play the 180gm LP.
These are only 30gm heavier than a standard LP so cannot see why it would not play it

Oh!, welcome to the forum by the way.
It plays the record very slowly. I tried a lighter album, it plays normally. Could the reason be a stretched drive belt (if it has one)?

pgowen

Mar 18, 2021
Visit site
Your posting suggests that the turntable either does not spin or spins slowly. Sounds like it could be a motor issue. Time to replace, methinks.

I have seen speaker and turntable packages on Az for a couple of hundred quid. Search for AT-LP60X (the turn turntable). I am guessing that is probably about the equivalent value your vintage music centre was. You can go cheaper but..

An AT-LP60X package will certainly be an upgrade.
If it has a drive belt, could this be a stretched belt? Lighter albums play normally.

Gray

If it has a drive belt, could this be a stretched belt? Lighter albums play normally.
It almost certainly has.
You can soon check to see how stretched it might be.
It is certainly possible that, even a small amount of extra weight could cause slippage of an old, loose belt.
(One way or another there's a torque problem by the sound of it).

DCarmi

If it has a belt then worth a try.

Sometimes these devices use a rubber wheel against a motor spindle, which in turn spins the platter. The spindle has varying thicknesses to it to allow the rubber to turn the platter at different speeds. It is possible the rubber edge is a bit worn and smooth, causing it to slip. It might just need the edge surface roughing up a bit (very evenly to keep it round) with some fine sandpaper.

pgowen

Mar 18, 2021
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I now have to find someone who can take a look at "the Old Girl". It may be difficult with lock-downs etc. Nevertheless, you've all been very helpful.

Reactions: Al ears

Gray

....Nevertheless, you've all been very helpful.
Helpful? :unsure:
We haven't even started yet.
As Al said, at least give us the make / model, feel free to add your own pictures.
Your issue is likely to have the easiest of remedies.
As soon as you take the rubber mat off, you might even see the belt through hole(s) in the platter.
If it's got the idler drive, you won't see it until the platter is removed.
Either way, the platter needs to come off - and that will be very easy - worst case, you'll just need to remove a clip from the centre spindle first.
Really no need to get anyone to look at it - unless you're totally incapable and / or you've got money to burn.

pgowen

Mar 18, 2021
Visit site
Just out of interest what make / model is the 'music centre'?
Helpful? :unsure:
We haven't even started yet.
As Al said, at least give us the make / model, feel free to add your own pictures.
Your issue is likely to have the easiest of remedies.
As soon as you take the rubber mat off, you might even see the belt through hole(s) in the platter.
If it's got the idler drive, you won't see it until the platter is removed.
Either way, the platter needs to come off - and that will be very easy - worst case, you'll just need to remove a clip from the centre spindle first.
Really no need to get anyone to look at it - unless you're totally incapable and / or you've got money to burn.

pgowen

Mar 18, 2021
Visit site
Well, silly as this may seem, there isn't any makers identification (i.e. "JVC" or "Panasonic") it just says "Music Center Hi Fi System". I (obviously) haven't got the manual that came with it. It was a present from my (now) wife.

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts