I am interested in some Emotiva Airmotive 6S

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Unfortunately, the UK Distributor does not carry the range so I contacted the U.S company.

Airmotive 6S $699 + $278.87 UPS

Airmotive 5S $499 + $224.40 UPS

Shame, they look good value without shipping cost. Bigger issue could be that the UK Distributor can't repair these. Would have to ship back to US.

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
drummerman said:
Unfortunately, the UK Distributor does not carry the range so I contacted the U.S company.

Shame, they look good value without shipping cost. Bigger issue could be that the UK Distributor can't repair these. Would have to ship back to US.

I never heard those. Are you planning on buying blind?
Recently I bought a pair of Adam A5X, they're very good. The A7x are even better. Maybe you can demo those.

insider9

They look really good but with import duty and tax plus postage looks far too much likely to be £1,200 or so. And then if anything goes wrong postage back to US.

I think Adam A7X would be a safer bet and easily available even second hand.

insider9

Pedro said:
drummerman said:

Recently I bought a pair of Adam A5X, they're very good. The A7x are even better. Maybe you can demo those.
How are your Adams?

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
insider9 said:
Pedro said:
drummerman said:

How are your Adams?

I love the speakers. The ribbon tweeter is really something, airy and without a hint of harshness. Instruments timbre seem spot on. And you can push these things really hard if you want. :)

insider9

Pedro said:
insider9 said:
Pedro said:
drummerman said:

How are your Adams?

I love the speakers. The ribbon tweeter is really something, airy and without a hint of harshness. Instruments timbre seem spot on. And you can push these things really hard if you want. :)
Excellent! Glad to hear it. I'm really tempted to get a pair at some point :)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I have had A7xs at home, they are really great at about £1k a pair. Actually a bit smaller than you might think and relatively easy to place.

As Pedro said, the X-Art tweeter really is amazing and they sound superbly open, even at quite low levels yet, should you wish, they can be as loud and punchy as you could ever want.

Only downside is the slightly industrial appearance, but if the Emotivas are acceptable, I think the A7xs would be too.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
It's the controls on the front of the Adams ... can't say I am enamoured by them.

Quite understand.

It is one of the reasons I opted for the rather elegant Artist 6, the A7x has greater bass extension but the Artist is actually quite pretty.

Out of production now and rare on the s/hand market, but should you find a pair, I recommend them highly.

20160818175118_701338.jpg

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
If you can live without grills, then take a look at the Dynaudio LYD models. Quite sophisticated with some rather clever bass eq and fairly smart but plain looks.

Around £750 for the 5 inch version. Front panel is available in white or black.

LYD5-large.jpg

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
drummerman said:

If the shipping cost puts you off, you could use MyUS. Their lowest shipping rate is 174.83 USD (using FedEx Economy). I had a pair of Maggies shipped from White Bear Lake (and some smaller stuff too), and all went excellently.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
The Dynaudio I would consider. Also 2 x Sonos Play 5 and Genelecs M040.

Shame about Airmotives, they seem great value ... If you live in the US.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
The Dynaudio I would consider. Also 2 x Sonos Play 5 and Genelecs M040.

Shame about Airmotives, they seem great value ... If you live in the US.

The M040 are out of production and although there may be a few left in the supply chain, the major dealers are sold out.

Given that they cost around £1400 pair, I would take a look at the 8330APM. Not only do you get a pair of the excellent 8330 5inch monitors but you get the full digital eq setup with measurement microphone, GLM2.0 software and all necessary hardware and cabling that allows you to virtually eliminate the effects of your room.

This is a serious pro solution, used on much bigger and better models than the 8330 yet packaged with them for just under £1500, amazing performance, and value too.

genelec-8330-apm-pack.jpg

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
On a completely different note (apologies to OP for the thread drift), have you considered Kef Ref 1s to replace the LS50s?

Hi Cno!

No, that’s not gonna happen...

Actually, the Devialet system is mainly used for TV and my son’s Playstation, these days. A crying shame, I know! A couple of months ago, I was about to swap the Devialet for a second hand pair of active LS50s in mint condition (+ a pile of cash), but I got SWMBO’s veto: she didn’t like the blue drivers... So it all stays as is...

(The main system is in another league entirely, anyway. I’m totally satisfied now! Haven’t demoed any hardware in months — though it’ll start nagging again some day, I’m sure.)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
DocG said:
Hi Cno!

No, that’s not gonna happen...

Actually, the Devialet system is mainly used for TV and my son’s Playstation, these days. A crying shame, I know! A couple of months ago, I was about to swap the Devialet for a second hand pair of active LS50s in mint condition (+ a pile of cash), but I got SWMBO’s veto: she didn’t like the blue drivers... So it all stays as is...

(The main system is in another league entirely, anyway. I’m totally satisfied now! Haven’t demoed any hardware in months — though it’ll start nagging again some day, I’m sure.)

Thanks you for getting back, my friend.

Totally satisfied is always good.....and some Acive LS50s could come up in an acceptable colour at some point (which I think is a great idea).

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
ellisdj said:
DocG yours is a system I would like to hear, never heard any electrostats and been intrigued by the Hypex for a while

Maggies are planar magnetics, actually. They're very current hungry, which suits the NCores very well.

You're always welcome for a listen. Whenever you're in the Brussels area, that is.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
ellisdj said:
DocG yours is a system I would like to hear, never heard any electrostats and been intrigued by the Hypex for a while

If you want to try Hypex then Colin at Nord Acoustics is your man. *smile*

He is a top bloke and very knowledgeable about all things Hypex, there is a very good chance that he might loan you some amps to review as well . *good*

https://www.nordacoustics.co.uk/

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts