I am confused..

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
PeterDs said:
Do you mean I had to change the Audio input and output figuresin the Audio midi application BEFORE I added the sample high rez file I downloded to the Itunes library?

That would explain why i am still getting the same 16/44 info for all the files!

If you added the file to iTunes only, rather than converted it in iTunes, then it should still be in the original format, it is just that iTunes can only output at 16bit until those setting are changed. I had some stuff that I assumed had been 'downgraded' that once I changed the midi settings, was back to 24bit on output.

Itunes can convert hi res to apple lossless at up to 24bit also, once the midi settings are changed, so that you can embedd artwork etc in the file.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
gregvet said:
PeterDs said:
Do you mean I had to change the Audio input and output figuresin the Audio midi application BEFORE I added the sample high rez file I downloded to the Itunes library?

That would explain why i am still getting the same 16/44 info for all the files!

If you added the file to iTunes only, rather than converted it in iTunes, then it should still be in the original format, it is just that iTunes can only output at 16bit until those setting are changed. I had some stuff that I assumed had been 'downgraded' that once I changed the midi settings, was back to 24bit on output.

Err, I believe if you change the output settings to 24bit iTunes will output EVERYTHING at 24-bit, even if it's only 16-bit, so you really need to check what bitrate the original files are.

And people still ask me why I don't use iTunes...

A

Anonymous

Finally managed to get hold of a proper 24/96 album, Pink Floyd's Dark side of the moon.

The files were in flac format, so I went through my normal procedure for playing flac files over my Squeezebox touch > Mdac>optical cable>amp>speakers routine.

First, go to XLD on the Mac, check preferences to see it it is set to AIFF, and use same bit depth as original files, done, then convert the folder with the 24/96 flacs to AIFF. Next step, go to Itunes and add to Library, create a playlist, and then go to the SBT and play the new playlist! 24/96 music at all!

Not so fast. The SBT won't play my 24/96 files. I have no idea why. I went back and redid the conversion. No luck. Tried Apple lossless, this time itunes wont add it. Ideas guys?

A

Anonymous

Desperate to hear the 24/96 quality, I copied the flac folder to an sd card then played the sd card on the SBT.

IT WORKS!!

Sounds wonderful. But I am not familiar with the music, and dont have a CD to compare.

But really like the quality of what I am listening now.

One question: when I use the SD card in the SBT and connect the SBT to the Mdac via optical, is the dac in the SBT beig used at all, or is the SBT just passing the original file to the Mdac, and the Madac does all the work?

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
PeterDs said:
One question: when I use the SD card in the SBT and connect the SBT to the Mdac via optical, is the dac in the SBT beig used at all, or is the SBT just passing the original file to the Mdac, and the Madac does all the work?

The MDAC will be doing the DAC bit. Try the SBT on its own, as an idea of how it sounds.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
PeterDs said:
Finally managed to get hold of a proper 24/96 album, Pink Floyd's Dark side of the moon.

The files were in flac format, so I went through my normal procedure for playing flac files over my Squeezebox touch > Mdac>optical cable>amp>speakers routine.

First, go to XLD on the Mac, check preferences to see it it is set to AIFF, and use same bit depth as original files, done, then convert the folder with the 24/96 flacs to AIFF. Next step, go to Itunes and add to Library, create a playlist, and then go to the SBT and play the new playlist! 24/96 music at all!

Not so fast. The SBT won't play my 24/96 files. I have no idea why. I went back and redid the conversion. No luck. Tried Apple lossless, this time itunes wont add it. Ideas guys?

I'm pretty certain the SBT can play FLAC files, so I don't understand why you're bothering to convert them to something else?

A

Anonymous

Hmm.. good point.

But my music is organized in itunes, and itunes wont recognize flac.

My solution hence, was to bypass my computer/itunes, and play the flacs directly via sd card. It works fine then.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
PeterDs said:
Hmm.. good point.

But my music is organized in itunes, and itunes wont recognize flac.

I don't think the SBT cares about iTunes though, so you could still test it over the network using the FLAC files.

My solution hence, was to bypass my computer/itunes, and play the flacs directly via sd card. It works fine then.

Fine but if it was me I'd still want to know if the original files will work over the network, if they do I'd be ditching iTunes if I had no other use for it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts