Hypothetically (for time being...) PM66KI upgrade?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
If things go to plan there's a possibility I might have some spare cash to replace my ageing PM66KI around Xmas time or thereabouts. I love it and there's nothing wrong with it, but with about £500-600 to spend would I get anything better these days? By better = more revealing, tighter control maybe, I do like the warmth and I don't want to lose that. But is that too low a budget to expect something clearly better and not just different?

You've probably known me long enough to know what the script is with the rest of my system; I've got all sorts of bits of kit of varying vintage that pop in and out the system now and again, from a TD160 record deck to a MkII Cyrus tuner to a Nakamichi DR-1, but my primary source remains a HTR II+ DAC and on the other end are the actual EB2 loudspeakers as modelled by Tom Parsons in 2010, sat on 18" Foundation speaker stands.

Any great ideas or am I expecting too much for too little?

TYVM

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
this is a tricky one - maybe a Brio R could clinch it - however if you use headphones then keep the Ki- Sig

I owned a Ki-Sig late 90s but i have no idea how one would sound now against a Brio R

They are lovely amps, built like tanks but i think maybe the Brio R phono stage would trash the marantz

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Steve

stevebrock said:
They are lovely amps, built like tanks but i think maybe the Brio R phono stage would trash the marantz

Possibly. The Marantz is from an era where the phono stage was a definite second and IMO it's comfortably thrashed by the phono stage in my long-sold Cyrus II. But to be fair the quality of the phono stage is of secondary importance to me these days; in the last year I can probably count on both hands the number of hours I've listened to vinyl.

EDIT: forgot to mention I don't listen on headphones from my main system so the fact the Brio R lacks a socket is of no consequence, so definitely on the 'audition' list so far. Thanks for your input.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
The problem is that your amplifier (and Marantz in general) have a rather distinctive sound so you may find it difficult initially to 'acclimatise' to other options. (I had a KI Sign amp and cd player for a long time).

A brio-r may well be a slight shock to the system but persist and you most likely will find it better the Marantz in quite a few areas but may lack that silky midrange. Personally I'd pay that price for better dynamics, a firmer bass and a more defined treble but your mileage may vary.

However, dont forget that the Rega is still only a 50w/ch amplifier.

The £500 amplifier area is a little bit a funny one. You get a little bit more than with entry level NAD's, Marantzes et all but these £500 amplifiers are still relatively constraint by manufacturer budget plus there are not that many to choose from. You are unlikely to find high end sound and/or numerous facilities.

Better imo to either up the budget to around £800 where you have more choice, more power on occasions, better build and in some cases an upgrade path or look for second hand amplifiers around £500 though I would certainly listen to a Brio-R too. Many are happy with it.

As to not having a Headphone socket or phono stage, you may not use them at present but both are very handy to have just in case.

My 2c's

rainsoothe

Hi. I think the perfect partner would be XTZ A100 D3. It does 60w in class A and 110 in ab, and has a nice full and warm sound, and is a real bargain. Others you should consider are Arcam A19 and Marantz PM8005 used or on offer, or Marantz PM7005. But the XTZ would be the one to give a go imo.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the ideas. XTZ is a new brand to me, I'm not sure where I'll get a listen. In fact come to think of it I should probably have had a look at what brands my local dealer carries before even approaching you all for ideas. But at least now I've got some really good leads. Can't make my mind up whether I want to buy used or not. I know you always get more for your money but my track record buying used electrical gear blind is no better than about 60/40 in terms of whether it works properly or not.

rainsoothe

XTZ is a sweedish brand that sells online, much like EB Acoustics without the delivery delays. They don't have a lot of dealers, but they offer 2 (or 4, can't remember) week moneyback guarrantee - although you'd be highly unlikely to need to use it, and on the plus side you get to audition in your home. Couple of negatives would be lack of tone controls (same as Arcam), headphone out, it's big and heats a lot in class A use(well, class A amps get hot). Plusses are phono stage and dac (no usb though). Oh, and amazing sound :)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
For the Major's budget I can buy second hand Accuphase, Primare, Copland, Electrocompaniet etc. Lots of kit that outclasses anything mentioned typically on these forums. But if you're not looking, you wont find any.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
An equally imposing option to the XTC would be Abrahamsen.

Coming from the Marantz you wouldn't notice to much difference in size and the monolithic looks would probably make it immediately familiar :)

I would guess it is a completely different sound, probably for the better and iQ will polish it personally before shipping.

My other recommendation would be to source a s/h cyrus 8series integrated and add a PSX-R either immediately or in the future but I am obviously biased.

The afromentioned Naim XS is also a lovely amplifier. I really enjoyed an extended dem with it. It will sound different to the Marantz (and Brio) but is, imho, a much better product.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
For the Major's budget I can buy second hand Accuphase, Primare, Copland, Electrocompaniet etc. Lots of kit that outclasses anything mentioned typically on these forums. But if you're not looking, you wont find any.

Yup and if you buy wisely, they are easy to sell on if not suitable.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Vladimir said:

If you can find it second hand in budget, definitely.

Another thought I had was something 2nd hand from Marantz's premium range. For all the talk on the forum about the budget range, I get the impression that not many people have seen a review of, much less listened to, any of the amps in the premium range.

Silky Marantz sound with a bit of grunt on hand. e.g. a 2nd hand PM-14SA with 100W at 8 Ohms and 200 at 4 Ohms.

record_spot

Try the speakers I use just now. Revealing, musical and a joy to use. Amp problem solved, £449 delivered and a leap forward in sound quality that probably canes the competition into a long distant second.

Yes, it's a different approach, but it brings you bang up to date and they'll work well assuming your DAC can double as a preamp.

Biggest hassle? Looks potentially, though no worse than the EB2, and somewhat better IMO and the minor fiddle with new cables - XLR or 1/4" jack - but adapters and mixed terminations are easily had and work well.

For me, they're the best move I made in hifi in years and quite possibly ever.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Sadly my DAC won't double as a pre-amp, it would need a passive volume control in the chain. I'd be reticent to change the EB2s for something else at the moment unless it was a huge step up. I have given actives some serious thought, and were I starting from scratch with the budget I have expended on god knows how many minor upgrades and sidways moves over the last 30 years, it's the route I would take. But I have too much money invested in traditional kit that realistically will give me very little in return should I sell it. Hoping to get between £100-£150 for my PM66KI when the time comes, which will form part of my £500 budget. Stashed away and unused-for-ages is a CD63KI that also cost me a lot of money back in the day, but it too is comparatively worthless now and I may as well just keep it for sentimentality's sake. The most valuable piece of kit I own is probably my Nakamichi DR-1 which can fetch a few hundred on a good day with a following wind and with the right two people fighting over it, but it took me nearly 20 years to afford to buy one so bu**ered if I'm selling that now.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
<snip>

Hoping to get between £100-£150 for my PM66KI when the time comes, which will form part of my £500 budget. Stashed away and unused-for-ages is a CD63KI that also cost me a lot of money back in the day, but it too is comparatively worthless now and I may as well just keep it for sentimentality's sake.

I have exactly the same kit as you stashed in my attic with some speakers I used from yesteryear. I won't let them go - the PM66KI is every bit as good as the PM6005 I am currently using. At some point in the future I'll hook it up to a streamer and plan to use it for many years.

Good luck with your search.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts