Humming from Sub RSW-12

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Folks,

Hoping you can help. I have purchased the Monitor Audio R90 AV-12 speaker package & have noticed a humming from the sub since purchase.

It is a low level hum, that isn't noticeable when the sub is being used; but it can be heard in a quiet room when the sub is either in the on / auto or off position. The only way to stop the noise is to use the mains switch above the power input.

A few questions - firstly, is this normal? Secondly, is there a way to stop it as its becoming a bit of a PITA to remember to keep turning it off fully at night vs leaving it on auto. I have tried it with different sockets in the lounge but have had the same issue.

Not entirely sure what else to try - have I got a dud sub, or is it picking up signals from elsewhere in the house? Think I have read that freezers / fridges can cause this sort of noise, but not too sure!

Thanks

Matt

A

Anonymous

I recently borrowed a sony home cinema sub to add on to my system, the results are fantastic, but I too get a hum from the sub which is increased as the level gain is increased.

Fiddled with all connection and using a new sub cable too but no joy, although the owner did confirm that he experienced a similiar hum.

I read on a trouble shooter it may be dirty connections, have cleaned what I can, but it still persists.

Any help would be appreciated.

A

Anonymous

Last night I tried removing the sub cable, so all that was left was the mains & the hum remained.

Would a new shielded power cable solve this issue? Loathed to spend the cash just to find out!

Matt

A

Anonymous

Hi Matt, sounds like a ground loop problem to me. If you google ground loop you will get some info. I was able to get mine to stop by using a power cable that ran the arial through it....not sure why but it seemed to clear up my sub hum

Dave

A

Anonymous

[quote user="mj2k"]
Folks,

Hoping you can help. I have purchased the Monitor Audio R90 AV-12 speaker package & have noticed a humming from the sub since purchase.

It is a low level hum, that isn't noticeable when the sub is being used; but it can be heard in a quiet room when the sub is either in the on / auto or off position. The only way to stop the noise is to use the mains switch above the power input.

A few questions - firstly, is this normal? Secondly, is there a way to stop it as its becoming a bit of a PITA to remember to keep turning it off fully at night vs leaving it on auto. I have tried it with different sockets in the lounge but have had the same issue.

Not entirely sure what else to try - have I got a dud sub, or is it picking up signals from elsewhere in the house? Think I have read that freezers / fridges can cause this sort of noise, but not too sure!

Thanks

Matt
[/quote]

Most likely transformer lamination buzz which is nothing at all to worry about. Listen to the speaker unit itself close up to confirm it. It's a good idea to totally disconnect it from the mains at night because it's still using power even on standby. If it does it with nothing else connected to it it can't be anything external.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="mj2k"]
Would a new shielded power cable solve this issue? Loathed to spend the cash just to find out!

[/quote]

In a word, no. Mains cables don't affect the sound of a hifi.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Zoot - I'll just stick to switching it off each night fully & reduce my carbon footprint slightly.

It has certainly put my mind at rest more now knowing it is normal. Had a bit of a panic when I first noticed it!

Matt

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts