Humax freesat pvr annoying me !

bullitt

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Theres a few things that are getting on my nerves with this freesat box

1.When wanting to record a WHOLE SERIES i.e F1 thats about to start on sunday it not only records everything but also the highlights, so both qualifying live and coverage and same with the race.

2.After watching a recorded a program like corrie you cant delete it straight away.

3.When you get a prompt for retuning adding more channels you select yes but it never tells you which channels were added !

4.When you press the opt+ button to delete files etc why do you get duplicate files on both sides of the screen ?

Im seriously thinking about getting sky hd, the picture quality on humax is great, but not as user friendly as sky.Any help with the above would be great.

A

Anonymous

1) I agree about the "series" recordings. I've had several duplicates recorded, but I have a feeling it's probably not a fault with the box so much as the way the Freesat EPG is set up.

2) Not got this problem with my box. I can delete at any time, including while the recording is playing, although if I'm watching the live broadcast and want to delete the recording as the credits are rolling then I have to stop the recording manually first. You can't delete a file while it's actually being written to.

3) I agree about this too, but since so few channels are being added it's not a concern, and I just have a quick look through the List afterwards. Most of them have been minor channels that I never watch.

4) Not noticed this. I just delete and be done with it, but I wish there were a simpler way to copy files to an external Hard Drive. Currently it's a bit tedious.

I'm on a fixed income so Freesat has been great for me because Freeview doesn't ven start in this area until next year. There's no way I'd want to pay Sky money every month, when, free of charge, I can record more good programmes on the Humax than I have time to watch. They might have more HD content, but at the end of the day it's the quality of the programmes that matters most.

I'd like something like the History Channel, or Discovery, but I wouldn't pay Sky £16.50 per month for them. I can buy one of the latest BluRay discs every month for that much, or two of the older releases for just a little more.

bullitt

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
What i meant about point 4 is when i have the FILE MANAGER page up and where it says HDD:/VIDEO then i have a list of stuff ,well i have all that twice, a page on left and on the right why is this?

Yes i wish they would dedicate BBC HD to something or other, nature or history and the odd HD film thrown, and im really cheesed off F1 isn't in HD, im sick of seeing all those arty farty programs on there, but on a positive note the picture quality even in SD is far far better than sky.

A

Anonymous

I have an external Hard Drive connected so on the right hand pane I get a list of the folders for that, with the Humax Hard Drive folders on the left hand side. Have been to the theatre tonight but will disconnect second Hard Drive tomorrow and see what I get then, but I don't think I get the duplicates that you do. Very strange.

I find the SD picture quality to be even better when viewed as a recording instead of a live broadcast, which I don't understand.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Yes. I was going to do a mini review on this pvr (from the perspective of someone who already owned the freeview version).

I've delayed and delayed because, at the moment, I really don't like it. I hoped this would wear off over time. But it hasn't. The only good things about it the HD pictures and sound. Other than that, I prefer the old 9200T.

Perhaps Hummy need to do a OTA software update.

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
bullitt:Theres a few things that are getting on my nerves with this freesat box

1.When wanting to record a WHOLE SERIES i.e F1 thats about to start on sunday it not only records everything but also the highlights, so both qualifying live and coverage and same with the race.

Maybe its because I don't watch F1 but I'm not sure what exactly your complaining about here. Its recording too much or not enough?

bullitt:2.After watching a recorded a program like corrie you cant delete it straight away.

You should be able to delete it straight away provided your box isn't actively recording anything else.

bullitt:3.When you get a prompt for retuning adding more channels you select yes but it never tells you which channels were added !

Fair comment.

Don't know if this will be addressed or not. However, if you join certain blogs / forums such as Join freesat or Digital Spy then you'll know in advance of any additions being released and have details of what channels are being added. eg. the recent update added CNN, Rural TV and JML Home and DIY.

Sky news have reserved a slot and should be joining in the future.

bullitt:4.When you press the opt+ button to delete files etc why do you get duplicate files on both sides of the screen ? Im seriously thinking about getting sky hd, the picture quality on humax is great, but not as user friendly as sky.Any help with the above would be great.

Its confusing at first but its because the interface at this part was designed for copying files to USB memory stick. You don't need to use this to delete - see my comment in the para below. With OPT+ Basic rule is if you want to eg move a file into a folder. Select the folder on the left, then the file on the right, then press the move button (colour codes at top of screen). the file will move into the selected folder.

You don't need to press OPT+ and go into that menu to delete a file.

Simply go into the media list, press the central OK button on the remote when the file is selected in the media list and you'll find a delete option in the little box that pops up. Simply select that to delete.

Sky HD is good but will cost you an arm and a leg. If you don't continue to subscribe to Sky ie go FTA, you lose both HD and the recording facility.

There is a major firmware update due that will hopefully address many issues, bugs and add more functionality to the HDR. However, we have been waiting for months simply because theres a lot to cram in there I think. It will come eventually no doubt.

bullitt

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
But if i want to delete a folder i have to go into file manager via opt+ if its a series im wanting to stop recording.

And im complaining that when recording a series (f1 was just an example), that it records too much, i know its better than not enough , but it means i have to mess about deleting highlights !

Thanks for blog info on freesat, im really not up to scratch with blog but i'll give that a go.

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
If its a folder you want to delete you have to use file manager (as its a file you're managing!). But just press opt+, select the folder and press delete (red button from memory) its that simple. Then exit. Deleting the folder won't stop the recording though, I presume you know that, it only deletes the folder. If there are still programmes left in the series it will create a new folder next time the programme is recorded.

If you simply want to cancel a series recording, press "Schedule", select the name of the programme, press OK (this puts a tick in the box next to it), a delete option will appear at the bottom of the screen assigned to one of the buttons (I can't remember which but it tells you). Simply press the delete button and the series recording is removed. Its very quick and easy, I've just explained it in detail which is why it took 3 lines. Takes about 5 secs in practice.

BTW the Freesat Blog is just like a forum its not one of these silly email things.

Join Freesat is here: http://www.joinfreesat.co.uk/

Digital Spy Forums are here: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Hope this helps,

Al.

bullitt

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the info regarding freesat, ive also joined freesatblog, the digital spy forum costs £5 unless you use an isp email.
cheers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts