hum from TV when using HDMI

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Bought the Sony 370 Bluray player just before Christmas, for £99.99 in Tesco. reasonably happy with it so far, although not tested the BD part as I don't have any discs. Tried out the iPlayer and LoveFilm, and both look better than when using the PC, even if iPlayer did tend to pause a bit more than usual during one program.

The player is connected to a Panasonic 26" LCD, the recent X20 model. I know that's not full HD and so I won't get the full benefit of BluRay but I got the player more for the upscaling of DVDs and the extra functionality (although the TV does a very good job of upscaling from the old Pioneer DV-530 DVD player I've been using).

There is one minor technical issue which I can't quite get to grips with, which hopefully a couple of the more knowledgable on here can assist with. When navigating the Cross Media bar, and playing anything accessed through it, eg iPlayer or USB port, there is an audible hum from the TV. This hum is more noticable from the back of the TV than the front, and is present when the TV is on Mute. It goes away when the player is turned off, but only after I change to another input on the TV. It doesn't initially start until the TV input is changed to the BD player, so isn't present when the player is first switched on, unless the TV is already on that input. However, the hum disappears completely when playing DVDs, and reappears again when the player goes back to its menu bar. Also, terrestrial TV reception is poorer while the player is on, but again only if I go back to TV mode after using the player, and goes back to normal when the player is turned off. I can turn the player on, and as long as I don't switch the TV over to that input, there is no hum or interference.

The HDMI cable is from Tesco's own Technika range as it wasn't convenient at the time of purchase to go somewhere else for one. I thought that may be the cause, as there's no mention of any shielding on the packaging, but I'm thinking that the hum should be there all the time if that was the cause. I also don't think it's the TV for the same reason. I've tried various options to no avail, eg, tried all 3 HDMI inputs, kept the HDMI cable as far away as possible from the aerial lead, ensured the power lead and HDMI cross at 90 degrees. The only conclusion I can come to is the hum is related in some way to the circuitry running the player's Media bar, and that it doesn't use this circuitry during normal disc playback.

So, any thoughts? I was considering contacting Sony, are they likely to be responsive? There is a Sony centre near where I work but based on previous experience I don't think they'd be any help, probably even less so as I didn't buy from them.

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Have considered changing the HDMI cable with an at least a double shielded one, but I've read in several places that lack of shielding in the cable should not really make any difference to digital signals.

A

Anonymous

Ive heard a quiet and very directional whine from my 370 on occasion. Not everyone seems to hear it but I have fairly sensitive hearing. I dunno if that is what you're hearing. I suspect ill get myself a cabinet with a door so I cant hear it.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Check for something called 'Quick Start' mode on the S370. (When enabled it makes the S370's fan work a lot harder which might be the source of your humming noise.)

I leave the 'Quick Start' mode off because I don't want the fan noise.

As for TV reception being affected by the S370 then I can't help you. That's just plain bizarre.

A

Anonymous

It's certainly busy in this part of the forum, had to dig this up from page 9. Sorry for the lack of reply but I've now changed the HDMI cable to the QED Profile and the hum is still there, although most of the TV reception interference has gone. And now I've played a couple of bluray discs it's present during playback of them as well. So the only time the hum is not there is when playing DVDs. The hum is definitely from the TV and different to the noises the player itself makes, which are not that noticable or offputting. Quick start mode is off. I even tried moving the TV and BD player to another room so there would be no other factors to account for, to no avail. For the most part I can live with this hum, as most of the time it's drowned out, but now I'm aware it's there I do tend to notice it more. Next stage I reckon is to take the player back and get it changed, and hopefully the replacement won't be one of the other noisy ones.

A

Anonymous

Sorry, I don't have a solution, but I sometimes get a hum from my tv too when playing DVD's. Strangely it goes away when I tthe TV off and on again. It'll be interesting if your one does the same.

A

Anonymous

No, that doesn't work either. Only thing that does is to turn the Sony off and unplug it, as even in standby the hum is there, which sort of defeats the point of having the player in the first place. I have considered a faulty HDMI port on the TV but I've tried all 3 and it makes no difference. I also considered connecting the two devices with component and audio cables instead, as the TV doesn't display 1080p, but don't see why I should go to more expense. First opportunity I get the player's going back for an exchange.

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Just purchased a S370 today. Whilst loading Avatar it started 'whining', hoped this wouldn't continue into film. Watched for 30mins, picture locked, got disc out and now it won't load BD discs. Machine can't even find/ read any BD discs. Strangely DVD still works!

Back to shop for me.

A

Anonymous

Other than the odd fairly quiet clunk as the player adjusts the laser, mine has been pretty much noiseless. Certainly much quieter than the elderly DVD player below it which, while it stays plays discs fine, does tend to spin them a bit more noisily than it used to (and occasionally likes to close the drawer immediately after it's opened).

Back to the original problem, was able to connect a PC to the TV today, via HDMI into the socket on the side and lo and behold....the hum from the TV is still there and the TV reception went askew. And the Sony wasn't even plugged in. So looks like I need to go back to Currys and replace the TV. Or I might be tempted by the 32" Panny G series they're selling for £500 if they have one and will let me upgrade (I was sorely tempted by it when I went in to get the 26" but found the £650 price tag harder to justify then). From what I can see from the specs it looks to be basically a non-LED backlit version of the award winning D model.

A

Anonymous

No, don't have a PVR. The router is behind but that's not the cause as I took the TV to a different room, well away from any other electrical equipment, to test it. Only other thing I can think of is if it's somehow picking up intereference from the mains electric and the HDMI connections are somehow amplifying it. There's the usual faint hum that I notice from most TVs and monitors, but this one is much more audible and mid-frequency.

I've renamed the post as testing seems to be implying the player is not to blame.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts