Hum from Arcam amp

6and8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
This morning noticed a low hum coming from somewhere in my system, it stopped when I switched off the amp. So the culprit would seem to be my (about) 5 years old Arcam FMJ A19. Never noticed it before. The hum doesn't increase or decrease when I turn the volume knob. I've checked that the interconnects and speaker cables are tightly connected. It doesn't matter which channel I select, the sounds stays the same. Any thoughts on what it could be - old age? Or what needs fixing?

6and8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your replies and your suggestions, although the hum is not audible through the speakers. Phoned my nearest hifi shop who suggested plugging the amp directly into a wall socket, it's currently (no pun intended) plugged into a six way socket board. I'll give that a go tomorrow.

Thanks for your replies and your suggestions, although the hum is not audible through the speakers. Phoned my nearest hifi shop who suggested plugging the amp directly into a wall socket, it's currently (no pun intended) plugged into a six way socket board. I'll give that a go tomorrow.
That’s a good tip. Is it possible you’ve introduced a new source of mains interference, like Christmas tree lights, a charger of some sort, a DECT phone, new LED light etc?
Many years ago I had a coffee machine which made my Musical Fidelity power amp buzz mechanically. It’s essentially something unwanted in the mains, but your transformer may need a tightening up.

matthewpiano

I've got something in my mains which makes my MF amp emit a small mechanical buzz. It's not unusual, particularly with toroidal transformers. I've experienced it with a whole range of amps and in several different homes over the years. There's plenty of potential sources - internet router, Alexa-controlled lighting, boilers, cookers... Even if I could find the source, it's unlikely I'd be able to eradicate it without resorting to some expensive mains conditioning that I simply can't afford. As long as it's only present when I'm right next to the amp, and not from my listening position or through the speakers, I've learned to live with it.

Reactions: 6and8
D

Deleted member 160668

If bought new.... FMJ's have standard no quibble 5 year warranty. Arcam are excellent and I sent my A29 back twice. Check purchase date and get in touch with them asap if nearing the date just to be sure.

You're local dealer will ship it to them. Arcam also pick up all postage fees.

Excellent service if there is a post sale issue.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts