HTPC/Receiver/Projector - sound question

mannenigata

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Hi all.

I am having a issue with my setup that I hope you can help me with.

My setup:

Receiver: Yamaha Z7
Speakers: KEF XQ40
Projector: Benq W5000
HTPC: AsRock Core100-HT BD running Windows 7

The Htpc is connected using Hdmi to Hdmi input port 2 on the Receiver (dvd).

Initially I had some problems getting sound over Hdmi, but when I set W5000 as default device (in the Windows 7 sound settings), I got both sound and picture.

Sound_settings_win7.jpg

Now, the problem:

I have a large music collection on the htpc that I use XBMC with the xbmc iPhone remote to play.
The iPhone remote lets you browse your entire music library by artist, album .. etc from the phone, so I have no need for the projector to power on and display my computer screen.

The way it works now is that I power on the htpc and receiver. If I now try and start playing some music using my xbmc remote, I get no sound. If I power on the projector I get sound, and can now turn the projector off again, and everything works the way I want it to.

So my question is, is there a way I can configure my system so that I can avoid turning my projector on in order to get sound?

Is there some setting in windows 7, or maybe some tweaking that can be done on the receiver?
Or can I solve the problem by using spdif, and if so, how will this affect the sound quality?
Any other steps I can take in order to solve this?

I would really appreciate any input.

Br

Geir.

A

Anonymous

I'd probably look into what filter or ffdshow is doing for audio? Ac3 filter installed? It might just need the hdmi associated with flac, wav, mp3 etc

I have a pc which was used as htpc and a popcorn hour beats it hands down

A

Anonymous

I've got the same Asrock HTPC as you. In Windows 7 in the audio devices section on your screen shot I get a Sony AV Receiver option which is what I use for my sound. Not sure why your projector is showing in windows, all my components including the HTPC are connected to my av receiver via HDMI and then HDMI out from receiver to my tv.

I cant really make out whats on the screenshot you posted, do you have a better image ?

mannenigata

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Hi, and thanks for the reply´s.

The screenshot i posted showed the following Audio Devices,-

1. W5000

Intel(R) Display Audio

Default Device

2. Speakers

VIA High Definition Audio

3. SPDIF Interdace (TX0)

VIA High Definition Audio

I have done some more "Debugging" today, and here is what I have done and found out.

A.

I disabled device 2 and 3 from the list above, as I will not be using the 3.5 mm audio jacks or spdif connection.

B.

Powered of the Htpc and Receiver/Projector

I disconnected the projector from the receiver, and restarted the Htpc and Receiver.

I then, using remote desktop, could see that the Yamaha Receiver showed up under the Audio devices in Win 7, and I set it as the default device. The Projector was now gone from the device list. And the audio was working correctly while playing music.

C.

Powered of all devices.

Connected the Projector to the Receiver again, and then powered on the Receiver and Htpc (Not the Projector).

The projector is still gone from the Audi device list, and the Receiver is still listed as the default device.

D.

Powered of all devices.

Powered on the Receiver, projector and htpc.

The Projector is now back as the default sound device, and the Receiver is now gone from the list.

Further testing showd that in order to use the Yamaha receiver as sound device again, I would have to power of all devices.

Then,-

first power on the Htpc, before I power on the Receiver.

The moment the Projector is turned on, it takes the Yamaha´s place as default sound device. I was not able to have both the Projector and Receiver powerd on, and at the same time have the Receiver showing up in the sound-device-list..

Can it be a setting or tweak somewhere that might fix this.. ? In windows or the Receiver it self? The best thing would be if the Yamaha Receiver was the default sound device all the time.

Best regards

Geir.

A

Anonymous

Thats strange, are you just connecting the the projector to the HDMI out on the AV Receiver ?

mannenigata

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Yes.
The projector is connected to the Receiver using hdmi to "out2", as the Z7's manual recommends..

The htpc is connected to hdmi "in2 dvd" on the Receiver.

A

Anonymous

Not sure whats happening there then, have you tried connecting the projector to HDMI out 1 ? If not the HTPC seems to be passing straight through the receiver and only seeing the projector when its connected on turned on.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
See Yamaha manual p84: check that the HDMI audio output is set to 'Amp'. If it's set to 'Amp+TV' or just 'TV', it's possible the amp won't give any sound unless it can 'see' a connected display device.

mannenigata

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the tip Andrew. I will check this once I get back from work to night.
Hopefully it is a 'minor' setting like this that solves the problem.

Br

Geir.

mannenigata

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Hi again.

I just verified that the HDMI audio output was already set to ´Amp´, so unfortunately that was not the solution.

I also tried connecting the projector to HDMI out 1, but with the same result. Also no luck in changing HDMI-in port on the the Htpc connection to the Receiver...

mannenigata

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Hi again.

I have been in contact with Yamaha support, asking them about this. The reply I got:

Support:
"I really do not know how to affect this. But I know that
there is no setting in the DSP-Z7 that will fix the problem"

Me:
"So you see this as a windows problem?"

Support:
"Yes, it could be a problem with windows"

Not much help there, so I will try and contact Microsoft..

A

Anonymous

I was having a similar problem with my setup. I suspected it was something to do with the HDMI passthrough, but I (stupidly) didn't think of changing this particular setting (I was concentrating on the other HDMI passthrough settings).

Your suggestion worked a treat. Thank you from Australia.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts