HQV of the Yamaha RX V2067.... Worth it...??

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

bigboss:

the RX-V1900 & RX-V2067 are the same (the 2067 is more expensive for its extra features).

Are they exactly the same except for the extra features? I would've thought there would be some improvement on sound quality year on year and different components used.

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
Also worth noting that whatever sonic perception your mate had about the US A1000 and A2000 is completely irrelevant as they will sound completely different to Euro models. Yamaha has always tuned its AVR's very differently for US and Euro listening tastes. In the US Yamaha's are known for a digitally-clean "bright" sound that is very different to the warm character they evoke over here.

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
The 2067 is 2 generations newer than the 1900 - surely Yamaha have made some improvements in the sound quality in teir receivers in that time? Features are obviously improved so for not much more than the 1900 you'd be daft not to give yourself at least some future proofing by going for the 2067. Can't see any sense in buying in to the past.

grdunn123:The 2067 is 2 generations newer than the 1900 - surely Yamaha have made some improvements in the sound quality in teir receivers in that time? Features are obviously improved so for not much more than the 1900 you'd be daft not to give yourself at least some future proofing by going for the 2067. Can't see any sense in buying in to the past.

There may have been sonic improvements with the 2067 as compared to the 1900, but I couldn't notice any. The OP is not bothered about the extra features, or 'future proofing' (based on all the threads he has started over the past few months just on this). He's getting the 1900 for the price of the 1067, which, in my opinion, is a better value than 2067, especially for someone who's not bothered about all the extra features.

rana_kirti: Kindly keep only one criteria in mind.... "Sound Quality"

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
bigboss:
grdunn123:The 2067 is 2 generations newer than the 1900 - surely Yamaha have made some improvements in the sound quality in teir receivers in that time? Features are obviously improved so for not much more than the 1900 you'd be daft not to give yourself at least some future proofing by going for the 2067. Can't see any sense in buying in to the past.

There may have been sonic improvements with the 2067 as compared to the 1900, but I couldn't notice any. The OP is not bothered about the extra features, or 'future proofing' (based on all the threads he has started over the past few months just on this). He's getting the 1900 for the price of the 1067, which, in my opinion, is a better value than 2067, especially for someone who's not bothered about all the extra features.

rana_kirti: Kindly keep only one criteria in mind.... "Sound Quality"

BB, you own a 1900 so I can accept that you're going to recommend it. It's over 2 years old now and things have moved on in both sound quakity and sound processing. I can think of no good reason not to spend a little extra to get the 2067 which, if the OP waits much longer, will be supercede by the next gen mdel which will cause both him and I suspect many forum subscribers more unwanted anguish.....Please Rana....BUY AN AMP!
emotion-9.gif

I'm only saying what I've personally heard when I demoed the 1067, 2067 & the 1900. Even I expected things to have moved on in 2 years, but to my ears, I struggled to notice a difference between the 2067 & 1900. Maybe a better speaker combination would have brought out the difference....What was your experience?

A

Anonymous

Hi,I just wanted to say,that a friend of me also had the same problem.He couldn't choose what amp he was going to buy.I have a rxv 1065 in combination with a 5.1 set Elac's(fs range)I let him hear mij set and when he finally heard it he rushed to the store to order the same.I mean,when he heard it,he was blown away by it and said that's all you need!And he found one for a nearly for free,think he paied around 400 euro for the amp.With the money he saved,he could spend a little more for a set of speakers and now hes got the B&W 685's-684's and the 62 center-)

rana_kirti:
grdunn,

i value david's feedback and also everyone else's as well. i'm 99 steps there.. just 1 step away from making my choice.

Rick,

Thanks for your input and insight.... I'd like to share with you my dilemma so you may better understand my situation and guide me towards the right choice...

I'm getting the V1900 for the same price as V1067 where i live. My research tells me that 1900 was followed by 2065 followed by 2067. The 1900 was a class act as per reviews and 5 stars here at WHF. Where as the 1067 ( also 5 stars) replaced the 1065.

So 1900 should be a class higher than 1067. Is that correct to you ?

All the more it has 130 w to 1067's 105 w.

I dont need the new 3d, networking, and other fancy features. I just need a AVR between these 2 which has better "Sound". That's all i pretty much care about. And that's all i want from my AVR. Anything else is a bonus.

The 2067 is available for slightly more than the 1900 here where i live. But WHF just reviewed 2067 and gave it 4 Stars only. Some might call it silly but i believe in this Stars System and dont want to buy a anything less than a 5 Star. ( I know it might sound crazy to some )

Now you must have heard all 3 of these AVR multiple times and i'm sure you are in the most suitable place with your knowledge to give me a honest opinion.

Kindly keep only one criteria in mind.... "Sound Quality"

1. Is the 1900 better than the 1067 sound wise ? or is the 1067 better ?

2. Is the 2067 better than 1067 ?

3. Is the 1900 better than 2067 ( although it has only 4 stars ) ?

3D, 2 hdmi outs, HQV, 8 Hdmi ins, are not of any importance to me. I just care about the "Sound Quality"

Kindly tell me which is the best of the 3 so i can have closure on this.... :)

Hi rana_kirti

I am sorry for my late reply as i've been very busy.

The RX-V1900's quantity, quality of power and performance is superior to that of the already impressive RX-V1067.

The RX-V2067's quantity, quality of power and performance is superior to that of the already impressive RX-V1067.

As good as the RX-V1900 is i don't feel its performance can match the RX-V2067's. The RX-V2067 sounds even firmer, has greater depth, dynamics, timbre and overall sounds even sweeter then the RX-V1900. If the RX-V2067 is available to you for effectively the same price as the RX-V1900 then the RX-V2067 is simply a no brainer.

Btw, where do you live?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

rana_kirti

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
my sincere thanks to all members who have contributed to this thread... without your suggestions, arguments, counter-arguments, lol. i would not have been able to come to sort this out.... So Cheers to you all... :)

Rick,

Thanks a lot for being able to describe to me in detail how each of the 3 AVR's sound and how one is better than the other.

I live in New Delhi. And the prices here as equivalent to UK pounds after conversion is as follows...

1067 - £ 900

1900 - £ 1080

2067 - £ 1140

rana_kirti:
my sincere thanks to all members who have contributed to this thread... without your suggestions, arguments, counter-arguments, lol. i would not have been able to come to sort this out.... So Cheers to you all... :)

Rick,

Thanks a lot for being able to describe to me in detail how each of the 3 AVR's sound and how one is better than the other.

I live in New Delhi. And the prices here as equivalent to UK pounds after conversion is as follows...

1067 - £ 900

1900 - £ 1080

2067 - £ 1140

H rana_kirti

Your welcome.

Looking at these prices i would still definitely recommend the RX-V2067
emotion-2.gif

Btw, i was born in New Dehli. It is a small world
emotion-1.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Dear Rana

See my response below to the WHF mag. Stars are very subjective. Will the 1900 get 5 stars in 2011? I doubt.

I have the RXV2067 and Yamaha Blueray 1067 player. They pair up very well. I use the old Wharfedale 8 series speakers and their subwoofer. Listening to Trace Chapman and Fourplay Jazz Band is WOW!!! Movies, exploding. Some told me not to buy the Wharfedales in 2006, but I auditioned them. The 8.4 Warfedale received 4 stars and the 8.1's 5 stars. I think it was WHF's best speaker in the year the 8.1's were launched, 5 stars plus. Well, the sound great on my Yamaha. In fact, I auditioned the B&W 683 and 684 series as well as their more expensive CM9 series in November 2010. The question I had to ask: My Wharfedale's cost me approx £250 (2 x 8.1, 2 x 8.4 and 1 x centre speaker) in 2005. A pair of CM9's currently goes for about £1400 in South Africa. The sound difference did not justified the price for me, althought the looks of the CM9's did. So why spent the money to upgrade? Now I know that some will lol about this statement, but one does have to ask the question: How would you respond about quality of sound if you listen to different speakers without seeing it, i.e. listen to it blind folded and then make your choice. If one know which speaker you listens to, that (and the opinion of the salesman/friends) could play a huge bias role. The point is that one could sometimes hear things (subjectively) because one do think you hear it. I am of the opinion that there are not really bad yamaha/onkyo/pioneer/denon amps/receivers and speakers, just look at what people write: some love speaker A, some say it is OK, some say it is bad. What scientific knowledge do one have when one say that product A is better than product B? Is there any stats involved?

Well just my penny's worth.

Kind regards

Andre

See letter below

Dear WHF Team

There is something I cannot understand! In the Nov issue, the RXV1067 got 5 stars when it was tested with the Onkyo TX-NR808. The review sounded that they were virtually on par.

I then went to audition both the Onkyo 808 and Yamaha 1067 at the dealer. In the end, I settled for the Yamaha RXV2067. My ears told me without even using a sub,that the 2067 had a much cleaner and musical touch than the Onkyo. Movies are delivered with a hack of a punch. Jazz (Fourplay albums) sound unreal!!!

The 2067 also cost R1000 (approx £100) less in South Africa than the Onkyo.

Thus, I am just wondering how thorough the test was? It would be interesting to have a head on test between the Onkyo 808 and Yamaha 2067 head on using the same music/dvd's etc.

Years ago (1992) the NAD, Rotel and Yamaha music amps were both highly recommended by a dealer in my twon. NAD and Rotel were pushed. I then listened blindfolded to each. The result: Yamaha.

Just wonder what would happen if one (including WHF) listened in reviews without knowing which components are playing and then make a judgement. That could be extremly interesting.

The blindfolded trick was my answer.

Keep up the good work.

I still LOVE the mag, despite my comments.

Kind regards

Andre du Plessis

rana_kirti

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
Dear Andre,

Welcome to WHF Forums...
emotion-1.gif

I appreciate your feed on this and your view point on this subject.....

I agree that maybe the V1900 would not get 5 stars in 2011 as far as features list ( 3D, 8 hdmi in, 2 hdmi outs, etc ) goes... but i'm sure it's still a 5 star as far as "Sound Quality" goes which is pretty much all i'm really interested in from a AVR.

That being said many members here agreed that the V1900 would be superior "Sound Quality" wise to the V1067.

I was confused between for a while coz i was getting V1900 for a little more than the V1067. But would have picked the V1900 over V1067 just for the "Sound Quality".

However the V2067 is for only slightly more than the V1900 here where i live.

You mentioned in the letter to WHF that you went to test the V1067 vs. Onkyo 808. And found that the V1067 had more detail and better sound and that you eventually bought the V2067.

1. I'm keen to know your comparison and the differences that you found out between the 1067 vs. 2067.......!! And why you choose 2067 over 1067...?

2. That would really help me out a lot. looking forward to hear from you...

Regards,

Rana
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Dear Rana

Again, that is what my ears told me. The RXV2067 had more punch/power than the 1067.

In fact, the salesman just contacted me to ask if I consider to upgrade to the 3067 for another £180 (R1800), as I indicated that I would when they arrive in South Africa. I am considering it. He will be coming to do a home demo at my house probably next week. If it happens, I will inform you.

Regarding the V1900. I will rather go for the later 1067 or even 2067. New technology, and I think Yamaha would rather improve their sound quality than going backwards. Also, the sound quality of the 1900 is superior in whose scientific opinion? If I had to choose, the decision would be on the latest one. Remember, if the price difference is not big, why not the later model?

Regards

Andre

rana_kirti

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
Hi fellas,

I'm sure you'll be amazed but not really surprised that i still haven't bought an AVR. :)

But that's about to change...

my very good friend invited me over to check out his new setup with the RX V 3067.

So he's newly setup his Yamaha RX V3067 with 10.2 speaker setup. So besides the regular 5.1 there were 2 front height, a center back surround and 2 rear height. He's using his older V3900 to power the 4 Presence speakers.

He first played music which sounded fantastic and smooth. Yamaha has changed their sound signature little this year. The result is a an superb well rounded sound with excellent details. Just fantastic.

Next he showed me the video capabilities of the HQV chip inside the 3067. There was a huge difference in the picture with and without the HQV engaged and dis-engaged. The HQV made the picture much much better with better colors, contrast and skin tones. It's fantastic.

Next he played the movie Signs. He played a lot of scenes in which involved a lot of information in the surrounds. This is where the Rear Height speakers truly shined. They created this superb environment and ambiance. It gave a feeling of being in a much larger space with distinct effects and sound coming out of the Rear Height speakers which acoustics had placed at the top corner of the room on either side.

I've heard many demos of home theater systems and have heard a lot of excellent demo with the surround material from side surrounds but the Rear Heights is just on another level. I've never heard or experienced anything like it in my life. It created this amazing sound field during the movie and me and my brother felt we were actually inside the movie with the on screen characters. It was amazing.

That scene where the the winds was blowing and the dogs were barking it felt if i was in the crop circle and the wind was blowing around and above me and it sent chills down my spine....

The scene where the actors were looking up at the roof from outside the house because they thought something was on the roof, it felt like there was actually someone walking over over acoustic's roof. That was a incredible experience and gave me goose bumps.

I wonder how Yamaha calculates and processes which sound to send to the Rear Height surrounds but it results in a fantastic effect. You have to hear it to believe it. It's just amazing.

You have to hear it to believe it. Any hifivision members in delhi must take a chance to call acoustics and check out what the Rear Heights can do. It'll change the way you perceive home cinema.

I was keen on waiting for the new AVRS with DTS Neo X. but that does not have Rear Heights. So now i'm keen on the Yamaha RX V3067.

i was really impressed with the smooth sound signature, excellent channel separation, clean sound at high volumes and the dynamic sound of this avr. It's fantastic.

As good as the 2067 is the 3067 beats it with it's Rear Presence trick which just creates another dimension behind you. It has to be experienced to be understood....
smiley-laughing.gif

Cheers

rana_kirti

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
Hi Rick,

Hope you doing well and business is good
smiley-wink.gif

m ready to jump on the 3067 as i write this. There are 2 things stopping me....

1. I want to hear out the Onkyo 3008.

2. DTS just launched DTS Neo X. Now i know that Audessey DSX and Dolby IIz have been around for years and Yamaha has not cared/bothered to add them to their AVRs probably because they feel thier Presence is superior but i wonder if the next line of Yamaha AVRs will have DTS Neo X.

If they do have DTS Neo X in the next Yamaha seires then i'll be gutted. I understand that new stuff/technology will keep coming out but i'm sure after DTS Neo X there's not really major game changing technology coming out.

So if i can have Presence and DTS Neo X in the same AVR ( probably next Yamaha series ) then that will be cool.

What's you take on this..?

Regards,

Rana.

( P.S : New Delhi is hot as hell right now. )
smiley-laughing.gif

KiwiMoto

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Aha!Now you've gone and done it.Just go and buy the 3067 since it has obviously rocked your world.If we all contemplated what was coming up next model release no one would ever buy anything.And dont say you can't afford the 3067,because if you buy a lesser receiver now you are going to regret it every single time you use it.I know this because a couple of years ago i listened to a Lexicon MC12HD and ZX-7 (300w x 7) pre/power combo when i was just about to buy Denon.
So the Lexicon totally broke the bank at the time,but i have never regretted it :)

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
Shockeroonie, he hasn't bought an AVR and has returned asking about next year's models and new features that haven't been implemented.

You're wasting your breath folks!

See you in 2012, 2013 and 2014 (probably).

KiwiMoto said:
Aha!Now you've gone and done it.Just go and buy the 3067 since it has obviously rocked your world.If we all contemplated what was coming up next model release no one would ever buy anything.And dont say you can't afford the 3067,because if you buy a lesser receiver now you are going to regret it every single time you use it.I know this because a couple of years ago i listened to a Lexicon MC12HD and ZX-7 (300w x 7) pre/power combo when i was just about to buy Denon. So the Lexicon totally broke the bank at the time,but i have never regretted it :)

Hi kiwimoto

Please don't mention Lexicon ;) :D

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts