How would the Panasonic TH42PV500 stand up against todays TVs?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have had this HD ready TV for 5 years now and have been considering an upgrade, but just how much better are today's TVs? It cost me £2500 at the time and was the premium Panasonic model.

I look forward to hearing your comments and especially from WHF as I believe this was a 5 star TV back in 2005!

StanleyAV

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I'd at least wait til next Spring, Fish2000, you may be none to happy with the 50hz issues on the 2010 models.

I'm reasonably happy with my Z1. I suspect there have been many improvements in contrast, black level, scaling etc etc since your model but recent years models haven't been without problems.

A

Anonymous

Not that much has happend on plasma since the 500, better black level and the new brighter cells. If you watch a lot of SD, you will find present models poor performers. I have the PX600.

2010 is kind of a "walk-over" year, 3D is first generation and with glasses, only two TV sets supports full internet even we are in the year 2010. Many models have quality issues such as buzzing - they dont make models like the 500 and 600 any more ( except perhaps for the Z1 wich also has its issue ).

If HD is good on the 500, I would spend the money on changing what you view to HD, and give the old 500 1-2 years more. How is HD on a 500 ?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
brendonw:
and the 600s had the purple snake issue too!

Guh! The 600s series had rubber skin, everybody knows that!

That is/was widespread :(

Yeah but they were easy to spot...

brendonw

May 24, 2010
Visit site
emotion-15.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the responses guys. I do get the impression I should wait a while before upgrading!

I have always been pleased with the HD, although I haven't been able to make many comparisons. Motion is faultless and the colour balance is just right, in fact I have never had to adjust any of the picture settings. The TV is hooked up to Sky HD and a PS3 for BluRay.

When you say they don't make models like this anymore - what is missing from today's TVs?

A

Anonymous

I was thinking of product quality and SD quality. You gave 2500 back in 2005 - today they put more features in the set for less than half the price - this must clearly have some consequences.

Back in 2005/2006 the flagships were focused on performing on SD, using high quality SD scallers. Todays TV sets are focused at Blu Ray performance, SD has low priority.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Not to mention the fact than in 2005 the exchange rate was around 210yen/£1. Now it's 130yen/£1, and yet prices are still much lower, when they should actually be at least 30% higher.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts