How To Transfer i-pod Classic Library To Ext Hard Drive?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone!

I've an i-pod Classic 160GB with my entire music library on (135GB). I've deleted the library from my computer to save memory, however i'd like to save the music library on the Classic to my external hard drive. How do i go about this?

If you answer please bear in mind i'm not tech minded so in layman's terms would be greatly appreciated thankyou!

Kind Regards

Dave

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
idc:Open up the hard drive and drag and drop the files into it. It will take time to transfer. That was how I did it.

Haven't some of the newer models had that functionality removed? I know I can't do it with my iPhone

idc

No idea Lee, but I did do that about 18 months ago when I switched computer. I dragged and dropped the old laptops itunes onto the hard drive and then onto the new laptop from the hard drive.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Edited/deleted after thinking through what I'd actually read and written.

I didn't know you could do that. I thought apple prevented transfers of files from the iPod to a computer (unless the data was stored using the iPod as a USB memory device). Interesting. So you might not be able to transfer from the iPod to the new computer, but maybe you can transfer from the iPod to your iTunes on the old computer and then transfer to the new computer?

iMark

For the Mac there is at least one software option. It's called Senuti. This will enable you transfer files from your iPod to your iTunes library.

http://www.macinstruct.com/node/74

The trick is however to set up the iTunes library first to the external hard drive. Plug the external hard drive to your computer and use the preferences in iTunes to have library on the external drive. In iTunes preferences go to Advanced and change the location of the iTunes Media Folder. There are clear instructions on how to set up your library on an external drive on the Apple website.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1751

After that use Senuti to transfer files to your Media Folder.

I'm sure it works roughly the same on a PC. I did do a Google search on options for the PC but I don't know any of the software options. I'm sure someone else on the forum can tell you more about this.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts