how to transfer music library from old iMac to new iMac?

ontheline

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
sounds simple which it prob is but what is the easiest way to get the music from my iTunes library on my old iMac to my new iMac iTunes library, I googles it and read "If you get a new computer, you can transfer your iTunes library by connecting computers " ? it doesn't tell me how.

Paul.

When you boot up a new mac it usually asks if you would like to transfer data from another machine, I think it just hi lights other computers on the network, your old machine asked for confirmation and away you go

Paul.

depending on the age of your mac you may be able to boot in to target Disk mode where your old mac will behave as a mass storage device, just plug it in with usb/thunderbolt/FireWire. This is a good option if you want to start from scratch with a clean install on your new machine.

abacus

I would love to say thanks but what a mistake after the migration assistant finished my songs which Is all I wanted over to my new iMac was there but the whole system has duplicated itself so now looks like I'm running the old 2008 iMac on my 2017 iMac its transferred everything? can I undo it?

All the features etc. of your 2017 computer are still there and can still be used, however most users like the familiarity of something they are used too when moving to a new computer. (If there is something you no longer need then get rid of it and use the new)

If you don’t want to do the above, you can reset your Mac and just copy the files you need from your old computer, however it is not that simple as doing a full migration (And then getting rid of what you don’t need) and so is easy to miss things.

If you do want to reset and copy individual files, read this first https://www.intego.com/mac-security...hould-you-migrate-or-do-a-clean-installation/

Have fun

Bill

ontheline

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
ok thanks, the songs I want that are on my old computer are also on my iPod touch, can I get the songs from my iPod touch to my new computer? then I don't need to copy individual files

abacus

ok thanks, the songs I want that are on my old computer are also on my iPod touch, can I get the songs from my iPod touch to my new computer? then I don't need to copy individual files

Yes you can, (All Apple products work seamlessly with each other) your computer will recognise your iPod Touch (Either wirelessly over the network or via a Bluetooth Connection) and you can copy and paste any files (You can select multiple files at a time) between them. (Note if you have both computers and the iPod Touch connected to the same network they will all recognise each other so that you can copy & paste between any of them)

Have fun

Bill

TRENDING THREADS