• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

How to set up and position your speakers

Markmaguire

Mar 8, 2012
It always puzzles me that speaker manufacturers specify to put speakers on stands and a certain space away from the wall and each other. But their publicity photos often show them positioned on a single piece of furniture - often with a turntable, and pushed back against the wall with a parallel focus - not toed in.

eoc69

Dec 7, 2019
In my opinion, speakers always sound best when firing straight ahead, toe in only makes the speaker sound brighter

Hifiman

Apr 17, 2020
I wonder if anyone has performed a proper controlled study of ‘running in’ hifi equipment whether it be speakers, electronic equipment or analogue sources? While it seems more plausible that components which move, such as speaker cones, could benefit from doing this than, say, electronic ones (ever ran in a laptop?) I have yet to be fully convinced of its benefit in any situation.
I say this because I wonder if it is actually our ears/brains which are being ‘run in’ rather than the equipment, by which I mean we simply become more accustomed to the characteristics of the component over time and wrongly ascribe this ‘improvement’ to the equipment bedding in.
I have observed this most often when changing back to headphones I have previously used. Suddenly the original raw edges are there again until I get used to them once more.
It would be fascinating to conduct a study which objectively tests this.

Reactions: DougK

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts