How to set gains

ntune

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I have this kind of equipment:

speakerconnections.jpg

I don't have the slightest idea how to set gains. Each part in my equipment has it's own gain knob.

My speakers (Cerwin-Vega XLS-12) are 6 ohms each and can handle 150W RMS and 300W peak. Power-amp gives 2x240W RMS to 8 ohms and 2x440W to 4 ohms. How should I set power-amp's gain? When I set power-amp gain to 3/4, it sounds good, but gets loud, when I set receivers volume above 3.

And about the Line-out converter... It also has it's own gain knobs for each channels. I don't recognize it has any effect to the volume, until the volume suddenly goes to zero at one point, at either directions of the knobs. Also, the input signal indicator of EQ and power-amp doesn't light up, until very, very, very loud listening levels.

How should I adjust all the gains for most optimal result. Also, is there any risk that I damage my speakers when experimenting with my equipment, things I should avoid etc. ?

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't know. maybe it would be easier to say something useful if you gave the brands too...

for me it's a little perplexing when you say your amp has gain ctrl. is it really power amp or an integrated one? as for gains; I'd avoid multiple gain controls. make one device control the volume and set other devices to full volume. see what it does. you could also try to by-pass the EQ and feed the signal from AVR straight into amp and see/hear if you get any distortion at higher volume levels (if you get any distortion at all, it's not clear from your post). and I think you shouldn't worry about the speakers with an amp as powerful and stable.

ntune

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
the t.amp E800
the t.amp E-800 stereo amplifier - output power: 2x 450W into 4 Ohms, 2x thomann 300W into 8 ohms (@1kHz, THD<=0.1%). Bridged mode: 1x 800W into 8 Ohms (please check cable configuration for bridged on rear of unit). Frequency response: 10Hz-20kHz; damping factor: >120; inputs: XLR, balanced jack, Speakon & Binding Post outputs; DC, short circuit, temperature and thomann limiter protection. Power Supply: 230V~50Hz. 19"/2U rack. Dimensions (WxDxH): 482 x 375 x 88mm, 19", 2U Weight 11,3 Kg

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
ntune said:
I have this kind of equipment:

speakerconnections.jpg

I don't have the slightest idea how to set gains. Each part in my equipment has it's own gain knob.

My speakers (Cerwin-Vega XLS-12) are 6 ohms each and can handle 150W RMS and 300W peak. Power-amp gives 2x240W RMS to 8 ohms and 2x440W to 4 ohms. How should I set power-amp's gain? When I set power-amp gain to 3/4, it sounds good, but gets loud, when I set receivers volume above 3.

And about the Line-out converter... It also has it's own gain knobs for each channels. I don't recognize it has any effect to the volume, until the volume suddenly goes to zero at one point, at either directions of the knobs. Also, the input signal indicator of EQ and power-amp doesn't light up, until very, very, very loud listening levels.

How should I adjust all the gains for most optimal result. Also, is there any risk that I damage my speakers when experimenting with my equipment, things I should avoid etc. ?

First off your speakers should be fine with your power amp driving them loud as long as the amp is not clipping and you can do more damage to a speaker if they are underpowered.

You say the gain on the power amp is set to 3/4, how many settings are there?

It will be hard to answer your question convincingly and you may have to do some trials untill its right.

Give this a whirl:

Turn the EQ down to zero. If the LOC is having no effect on the volume set it half volume. Turn the power amp and the AV amp up to half. Now adjust the EQ untill it loud but not distorting.

If that works you can leave all gain as they are and use the AV amp to contol the volume.

If it doesn't work come back
smiley-laughing.gif

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
ntune said:
the t.amp E800
the t.amp E-800 stereo amplifier - output power: 2x 450W into 4 Ohms, 2x thomann 300W into 8 ohms (@1kHz, THD<=0.1%). Bridged mode: 1x 800W into 8 Ohms (please check cable configuration for bridged on rear of unit). Frequency response: 10Hz-20kHz; damping factor: >120; inputs: XLR, balanced jack, Speakon & Binding Post outputs; DC, short circuit, temperature and thomann limiter protection. Power Supply: 230V~50Hz. 19"/2U rack. Dimensions (WxDxH): 482 x 375 x 88mm, 19", 2U Weight 11,3 Kg

I had a feeling that your amp would be some sort of PA audio amp. I see it has some sort of gain ctrl on the front fascia. I suspect it's a simple passive attenuator. therefore your amp is more an integrated than pure power amp. anyway, now you have to decide what device you want to make volume controller for your system. I suspect it'll be the AVR as you'll get the convenience of a remote. in which case set the amp gain to full - that way it'll behave like a pure power amp.

what bugs me in your set up is the use of the LOC. why would you need it in the first place? isn't it better to connect the AVR with the EQ straight through pre-out sockets (by-passing the LOC?)? anyway, if you need this box set its gain to full as well.

you might double check with the manual for the amp or with the manufacturer but I'm pretty sure that if you use such an amp with an external pre-amp you'll be safe to set the gain at full. that way you'll have only one gain ctrl - in your AVR, which is optimal.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts