How to replace a Linn Kairn

Tecumsea

May 27, 2024
Visit site
My Kairn has just given up and power supplies are no longer available. I have an LK140 amp , lp12 with Ekos arm and MC cartridge driving Naim CD5! and Lynn Majik 140 speakers.

What do I replace the Kairn with? -most new preamps if they have phono stage it is MM-so do I buy an integrated amp and add a seperate phono MC stage like the Rega or is there an alternative amp with MC phono stage?

I'm UK based, there is a recapped and new Power supply Kairn on Ebay, but with linn no longer supplying the parts this could be a problem again in a few months time.

My budget if needed is about £3k

I mainly play cd's but would like to keep the LP12 if possible

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:
So is buying a second-hand Linn Kairn out of the question?
If it is then a different preamp and a step up transformer for your MC might be the answer.
That or the Musical Fidelity M6S PRE, yours for £1599

Last edited:

Tecumsea

May 27, 2024
Visit site
Thanks for the prompt reply, I'm not against buying a second hand Kairn but it is a risky strategy given the lack of spare parts. If there was an alternative I would probably use modern replacements. Would I be able to link my LK140 Amp to a modern pre-amp such as Naim Nait XS3 or XS5?

Gray

Thanks for the tip on Musical Fidelity, I'm going to get a demo of the new M6si integrated amp, it seems to be getting good reviews
If you only really need a preamp, the new Neutron from Leema might be worth considering for £1500.
13 inputs, including MC, according to the Hi-Fi News review.

(Matching Graviton power amp also £1500, but package price for both £2800....minus any other discount you might negotiate)

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts