Question How to play digital audio from HDD / USB stick through Stereo amp

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
What about something like a Sony Media player which is within your budget?
IMG-3504.jpg

DG…
He would still need his computer to transfer the files off of the USB stick....

good_enough

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I have one of these https://www.majority.co.uk/radios/fitzwilliam-3/ which I use mainly for Internet radio, but it also has a USB port that you would be able to plug a stick into, or (I guess - haven't tried) a USB hard drive. It also has bluetooth if you ever want to play direct from your phone.

New, they're about £150 but there are ones on fleabay. Makes best sense when you have the undok app on your phone as source selection, volume control etc are all on that and you can drive it all from your sofa.

Reactions: Al ears

Jasonovich

I own a few pieces of old equipment, comprising Hamaha R-S202 amp, Advance acoustic CD player, TEAC dual tape machine W-790R and a turntable. I realised only much later that I should have bought an amp with USB port, which I didn’t.

I now have a stock of music in hundreds, which I’m itching to play through my Yamaha speakers but can’t, because there’s equipment I have that would allow me to play hard disk based or SSD / USB stick based digital audio.

The amp only has RCA analogue inputs.

Any tip on this direction will help me decide. However, I am not in favour of playing music from a computer. Music for me is for listening in a relaxed mood, and a computer makes me unstable.
I play my music through USB/SSD, I use digital transport for the SSD/USB and have it connected to my DAC/Streamer. I suspect you need something less complicated, I would suggest the Eversolo DMP-A6, it has secret SSD slot at the bottom and USB connections at the back.
It is a touch screen Streamer DAC, allowing you to subscribe to Spotify, Tidal, Deezer, Amazon etc.

I'm not sure your budget, Peter Tyson's price is competitive, though cheaper on AliExpress. If you're UK base better to pay the little extra and go with PT, where you will get better product support.

You can also go for the WiiM Ultra which is much cheaper but more finicky with the USB. I'm sure there are other alternatives you can find in the comments.

Also worth mention both WiiM and Eversolo can work off NAS server.

1728400540548.png

1728399956645.png

Last edited:
Reactions: DiggyGun

daveh75

As for budget, I do not have an idea but may be between £100 - £200 as a wild guess.

All under or well within your budget, you could look at the Arylic S10/S10+ and S50+ streamers.

Yes. They all have the ability to playback from USB storage

good_enough

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I have one of these https://www.majority.co.uk/radios/fitzwilliam-3/ which I use mainly for Internet radio, but it also has a USB port that you would be able to plug a stick into, or (I guess - haven't tried) a USB hard drive. It also has bluetooth if you ever want to play direct from your phone.

New, they're about £150 but there are ones on fleabay. Makes best sense when you have the undok app on your phone as source selection, volume control etc are all on that and you can drive it all from your sofa.
Out of curiosity (I'd never used) I tried copying some wma lossless files onto a USB stick to see if I could play - not seen!

Only when I converted to mp3 could I play on the Majority - looking at the online manual, this appears to be a limitation. Had I bought it for this function I would have been disappointed! Nota Bene!

Reactions: DougK1 and Al ears
Out of curiosity (I'd never used) I tried copying some wma lossless files onto a USB stick to see if I could play - not seen!

Only when I converted to mp3 could I play on the Majority - looking at the online manual, this appears to be a limitation. Had I bought it for this function I would have been disappointed! Nota Bene!
Well spotted. Not sure anyone would want something that only played back mp3 files these days.

Reactions: DougK1

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts