Hey guys I am new into this

I am going to buy the FOCAL 948 and it is confirmed.

Would you guys please give me some suggestions about the AMP? Because here the amps that I can see from Dealers are quite limitied, and sometimes I don't feel good when they push you to buy expensive but probabaly something wrong.

At this moment what I have done was THOR III, which I think it is a bit 'thin', although it says enough power on the paper,

Then it is the MF M6si, however I have been getting the negative feedback from online saying that this brand is not what it used to be.

Next, it is the ELECTROCOMPANIET ECI-6DS, which looks good but I doubt the power is not enough.

I mainly listen to the pop, that's 80%. 20% of the time I will have light music. I do care about the quality of the bass, not something can make the earthquake, but punchy one & something bouncy.

My budget for the amp will be MAX 5k.

Thanks guys, I am looking forward to hear good advices from you guys.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Hello Garnett, welcome to the forum.

I bought a pair of Focal 936 at Christmas, and paired them with a Yamaha RX-A1020.

The speakers are used in stereo mode, for both the TV and normal music listening.

For TV use, the speakers perform well, and you forget that the speakers are there, because the sound seems to come from the TV screen.

For normal music use, the speakers produce a good soundstage, and you can tell the different physical placements of each of the instruments. The notes are clear and precise, and the bass notes are much improved compared to my previous speakers. The only issue that I have, is that the music seems to be missing a certain 'spark'. My assumption is that these speakers have revealed the limitations of the Yamaha RX-A1020, so I am starting to consider that I may need to upgrade my amplifier.

I am in no urgent need to perform this upgrade, but when I do, I shall probably start by investigating the amps mentioned in this review about the Focal 926. https://andreweverard.com/2013/08/31/review-focal-aria-926-loudspeakers/

It seems that that quite a lot of the final development of this range was done with Naim’s DAC-V1/NAP 100 DAC/preamp and power amp, and the implication is that similar sounding amplifiers, would best suit your 948s. As ever, you can only tell for sure, by auditioning the kit yourself.

Nevertheless, I hope that this may give you a few ideas, to start your search for the right amplifier.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts