Question How to know the effection of acoustical panels before you build your home cinema?

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Acoustic materials will generally reflect, absorb or diffuse.

where_to_put_acoustic_panels_-_understanding_the_type_and_design_of_acoustic_panels_600x600.jpg

The image comes from this article, which is pretty good & not too long/complex (compared to other ‘beginner’ guides online): https://www.soundandvision.com/content/room-acoustics

Gray

Always confussed about effection of different acoustic materials.
Making sure that you're not in one of those (all too fashionable) rooms with hard, bare wooden floors....is a good start.
(Left hand image of the 3 shown above).
I don't care if they are "easier to keep clean".

NEVER anything less than wall-to-wall carpet in my listening room.

Any treatment is better than nothing - it doesn't have to be too expensive.
I had disastrous fluttery echo before adding a few tiles, cork on walls, polystyrene on ceiling.
I'm now living in an ugly fire hazard of a room, but it was by far the best improvement to the sound that I've ever made.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stuart83 and DougK1

May Leitong

Nov 14, 2023
Visit site
Making sure that you're not in one of those (all too fashionable) rooms with hard, bare wooden floors....is a good start.

I had disastrous fluttery echo before adding a few tiles, cork on walls, polystyrene on ceiling.
I'm now living in an ugly fire hazard of a room, but it was by far the best improvement to the sound that I've ever made.
What kind of carpet? Thickness? Can you share a photo of your listening room?

Gray

What kind of carpet? Thickness? Can you share a photo of your listening room?
If I told you how old, worn, thin and cheap my carpet was, you would think I'm joking.
But when I tell you that it was £77 fitted by MFI (the old furniture retailer) you'll understand.
But it's wall-to-wall and any carpet is better than no carpet.

It was the wall and ceiling tiles that killed the horrendous reverberance for me - and really focused the sound - made listening easy.
If you've ever taken a Bluetooth speaker into a bathroom, you'll know how tiring it can be to listen to anything.
Listening in reverberant rooms causes fatigue that people often blame entirely on 'bright' systems.
IMG_20220625_122916_MP.jpg
IMG_20220628_211455_MP.jpg

Reactions: DougK1

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site

"now living in an ugly fire hazard of a room, but it was by far the best improvement to the sound that I've ever made"

Love that "Grey".......
Ahhhhh for the love of hifi 😁it's just like me.

I nearly trip over one floorstander in the living room to get out of one room to walk/bump into another bigger one to get into the adjacent bedroom 🤣🤣

I wouldn't have it any other way as love my music that much that even stubbing my toe and we all know when it's the little one it hurts like ????
But its like bumping into a cute girl coming out of the pub, it's all instantly forgiven.

Attachments

• 1000006488.jpg
    1000006488.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 1000006473.jpg
    1000006473.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts