How to integrate iPod with Separates system ??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a separates system with an ARCAM Alpha8 amplifier. Is it possible to get an iPod dock that I can use as a source/input to my amp so that I can play ipod tracks through the amp. I am looking for a unit that I can place on top of my hi-fi stand and looks ok. I'm trying to avoid the standard iPod docks that have their own speakers etc. as I don't really need those. I can't seem to find anything that fits the bill . Suggestions most welcome.

A

Anonymous

why not just use a good quality 3.5mm to 2 RCA cable - surely this is the best way, quality wise, to connect the ipod to an amp...?

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys - I'll look into those options in more detail. Thanks for your advice.

A

Anonymous

I thought the best way was to connect using a dock. My understanding is that If you use a 3.5mm to 2 RCA plug cable, the signal is routed through the earphone circuitry, by using a dock I believe you may receive a better signal and hence sound quality???? Not sure if I could tell the difference though.

I assume this works on the same principle as amplifiers with tone controls having a switch that allows you to bypass the tone control circuitry????

I may just be talking Cack though!!!

A

Anonymous

no, not at all. you are completly right. connectors on a dock are at line level, and therefore you cannot change the volume using the ipod, as it is not going through the headphone cicuitry.

A

Anonymous

In most cases, its marketing gimmick. Let us face it, using a dock doesn't cause the DAC to change. The MP3 to electric signal conversion is still done using the mass produced chip onboard the Pod. The max benefit that can be achieved is: like jay mentioned, some clarity in reproduction.

I really really don't think you would be doing justice with your separates system by using an iPod as a source. There are many convergence products coming up. Some products you may want to consider Arcam MS 250, CA Azur 640H, Squeezebox etc.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts