How to get 5.1 surround sound from games AND blu rays

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I cant get both. If i want surround on my xbox one i have to plug it into the avr directly. Plugging it into my one connect box then tv to avr via ARC it doesn't give me surround sound only pseudo sound via dolby surround which basically is terrible and should not have to use that.

If i plug my blu ray into tv then again tv to receiver via ARC i don't get surround sound on my blu rays played on my 4k player just dolby surround which doesnt work well at all.

Does anyone know of a fix that allows me to have best of both without a comprimise?

I could have both by having blu ray and games console plugged into the avr but then the picture is messed up. I need game mode for low lag but then switching to blu ray its the same source so game mode is still on with all the settings that makes films look terrible so that's not a good option either.

Samd

nugget2014 said:
I cant get both. If i want surround on my xbox one i have to plug it into the avr directly. Plugging it into my one connect box then tv to avr via ARC it doesn't give me surround sound only pseudo sound via dolby surround which basically is terrible and should not have to use that.

If i plug my blu ray into tv then again tv to receiver via ARC i don't get surround sound on my blu rays played on my 4k player just dolby surround which doesnt work well at all.

Does anyone know of a fix that allows me to have best of both without a comprimise?

I could have both by having blu ray and games console plugged into the avr but then the picture is messed up. I need game mode for low lag but then switching to blu ray its the same source so game mode is still on with all the settings that makes films look terrible so that's not a good option either.

Don't know whether or not you have a smart remote but with Harmony you could have a second instance of your BDP with different TV settings?

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I tried plugging my blu rays video to my tv and audio side via other hdmi to avr still dolby surround not proper formats. Would i use bitstream in that method or not from player settings?

D

Deleted member 2457

And you call me a lost cause!
regular_smile.gif

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
First of all it's the first of a problem this big I've ever had. Secondly i ended up using my brain and found out a fix.

The dual hdmi on the player fixed this for me. 1 (audio) to receiver and 2 (video) to tv and then xbox straight into the receiver so both work properly and i get proper surround formats not rubbish dolby surround upmixed which i was actually foolishly using for a month watching films. No wonder surround sound was terrible

D

Deleted member 2457

nugget2014 said:
First of all it's the first of a problem this big I've ever had. Secondly i ended up using my brain and found out a fix.

The dual hdmi on the player fixed this for me. 1 (audio) to receiver and 2 (video) to tv and then xbox straight into the receiver so both work properly and i get proper surround formats not rubbish dolby surround upmixed which i was actually foolishly using for a month watching films. No wonder surround sound was terrible
I was actually not referring to that.
regular_smile.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

gel said:
nugget2014 said:

I was actually not referring to that.
I am not fan of gamers or playing games mind you you are still quite young.

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Sorry gel but whether you like gamers or not, i play racing games online most days with people that are over 50... I race people i know up to the age of 78 & as young as 16.. so it's not ageist!!!

Back to the main point... Personally I would connect everything to the AV receiver via HDMI & bitstream or use PCM if possible to the amp for everything to get the best results, it works for me with the ps3 & 4, sorry I don't use xbox stuff but it can't be that different & the same goes for the bdp. As far as i can see the ARC channel is just adding an extra connection for the audio back to the amp you are bypassing if usng the HDMI sockets on the tv for your equipment connection. Although you would still need the main connection from the amp to the arc HDMI on the tv for the picture to be correct, but would of course not be returning the audio as the amp would be supplying it to your speakers direct.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts