How to connect TV Toslink out to old 5.1 speakers?

So, I have an old Panasonic 5.1 DVD home-theater system. It has 5 speakers and a subwoofer that is not amplified (it uses the same wired connection as the other speakers). Each speaker is rated at 3 ohms and 110w, as well as the subwoofer.

I put it aside long ago because it uses a wireless system to connect to the rear speakers that always messed up my wifi (and there is no way to wire the rear speakers directly without going throug the wireless adapter) and also because the DVD + amplifier unit is dying off (weird fan noises going around).

But now I have a smart TV that I use with Netflix, and I want to recycle the speakers (all 5+1 of them) because they sound great. The TV has a Toslink audio out. If I understand correctly, I can use it to send the 5.1 signal to a receiver / decoder. So my question is: how do I connect the Toslink out to my old 5.1 wired speakers? What would be the simplest way to do it? What I have in mind is a receiver / amplifier with an optical Toslink in and 6 traditional speaker outs. Is there such a thing?

Thank you!

Lourenço

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
But you may be better off using an HDMI cable and the Audio Return Channel (ARC) within it to bring sound back to the receiver.

HDMI cables can be used to connect DVD / Blu-Ray etc. players to the reciever as well.

Your old speakers may be up to use as the surround back and sides, but the subwoofer and head unit are probably trash. Get rid of them.

You should budget for a new pair of front speakers and a powered subwoofer as well.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts