Question How to connect powered subwoofer to Yamaha RN-602?

CrystalFizz

Apr 18, 2020
Visit site
I have a set of Logitech Z333 speakers which has a powered subwoofer and I have my Yamaha RN-602 reciever, which has a powered subwoofer-out port.

My question is what cable do I need to connect my powered sub to the Yamaha? I have a cable (advertised as a subwoofer cable) which has RCA red and white on one end, which joins to a single RCA on the other end, like this. My subwoofer has this RCA input, and the Yamaha amp has this RCA(?) output.
What I did was connect the single end RCA to the sub-out on my Yamaha, and the red and white RCA end into the Logitech subwoofer input, and it did not work.

Anyone know why it isn't working? Is there something I did wrong / a step that I missed out? Do I have the wrong cable? Is it the subwoofer that doesn't work in this setup? I'm thinking it's the subwoofer that isn't right for this setup.. which if that's the case, I'm going to have to look into getting a budget sub that will work!
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

iMark

I don't this sub will work with the powered out of the Yamaha. Your Logitech unit is designed to get the full range of audio from a computer or other device. What might work however is to connect Line out 2 (or 3) with the Logitech subwoofer with a standard RCA cable. The Line outputs are normally used for a recorder but they will carry the signal of the input source being played.

I have no idea how this will sound. I have a Logitech sound system hooked up to my computer and I have just noticed that the subwoofer has an auxiliary stereo audio input. Never thought of hooking that up to the Yamaha!

CrystalFizz

Apr 18, 2020
Visit site
I don't this sub will work with the powered out of the Yamaha. Your Logitech unit is designed to get the full range of audio from a computer or other device. What might work however is to connect Line out 2 (or 3) with the Logitech subwoofer with a standard RCA cable. The Line outputs are normally used for a recorder but they will carry the signal of the input source being played.

I have no idea how this will sound. I have a Logitech sound system hooked up to my computer and I have just noticed that the subwoofer has an auxiliary stereo audio input. Never thought of hooking that up to the Yamaha!
Thanks for the reply! Yeah I thought I could just give it a try since I had the Logitech speaker already, before thinking of investing in a new separate subwoofer!

I gave it a try through the Line Out on the RN-602 and it did work!
The only thing is however, since I still use the Logitech unit for my PC, it is pretty impractical as once the Yamaha is connected to the input, the sound from the Yamaha not only plays through my bookshelf speakers, but also through the small Logitech speakers connected to the Z333 sub that're on my desk.
This meant that, to use the sub with the Yamaha only, it requires me to unplug my Logitech desktop speakers from the subwoofer unit each time I want to listen to music through the Yamaha, and plug them back in once finished. So I think I will invest in a new separate sub for ease of use!

Just out of curiosity I'm looking at some (pretty budget, being a student!) subwoofers for use with the RN-602. The one I have in mind is the Cambridge Audio SX120, which is powered and has RCA L+R input on the back. Do you rekon this will work with the Yamaha RN-602 reciever setup by plugging it in with the RCA cable that I mentioned before?

Thanks again for your help and thank you for your suggestion of using the Line Out on the Yamaha, I can use it as a bit of a makeshift until I get a proper setup going!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts