How to connect an active sub to stereo amp?

chelstondave

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Subs like the Rel T zero have a neutrik speakon socket which you attach by the included lead to the speaker sockets on the amp in addition to the speaker cable already there. I have used this high level connection and it works fine

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
kukulec said:
A simple active one. Like a JBL Arena 100.

That sub has only one line-level connection (cinch), so Dave's solution won't work here... There's no high-pass line-out either.

So the only way I see for this particular combination is to connect the 'RecOut' on the Pioneer to the sub (using an analogue RCA cable), low-pass filtering the signal to the sub, and sending the full-range signal to your main speakers.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
So basically, there's three ways to connect a sub to a stereo amp without a dedicated "subwoofer out", depending on the sub's connections:

1. line level, as I described above.

2. speaker level (or high level), as chelstondave described. If the sub has the "high level in" connections, that is. Often works very well.

3. Connect the preamp to the sub only, let the sub use the low pass signal, and send the high pass signal through to the power amp and to the main speakers. This way your main speakers are relieved from the bass duties, often resulting in better clarity and midband. But it requires "line level in" and "high pass out" connections on the sub.

Hope this helps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts