How to connect a subwoofer to a yamaha A-S500

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

im wondering if someone can help me. ive just bought a yamaha a-s500 stereo amp and i want to buy a wharfedale 10 sx sub to go with it. i have 2 pairs of speakers connected to the amp and want to add the subwoofer. on the back of my amp, i have a sub woofer out.

What im really confused about is, how do i connect this to the wharfedale sub?! with an av receiver u just need a single sub cable but is this the same for a stereo amp?

the back of the wharfedale 10 subs have line level input/outputs with L and R channels and also have speaker level inputs. Would i have to use a Y connector or just a normal cable?

bit confused what to do as im a noob when it comes to subs!

any help is much appreciated!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
All you need is a single phono-phono cable to run from the AS500's subwoofer pre-out into either the left or right input of the Wharfedale - if one of those inputs says LFE or mono, then use that input.

It will be plugged in in exactly the same way as into an AV receiver.

A

Anonymous

thanks alot for your help. answered my question very fast! :D

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
No problem
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

On a similar topic, I have an old boom-box type of sub from an old purchase that has speaker connections only...and wondered (if) and how I should connect it to a Cambridge Azure 640R av amp? The speaker outputs are all taken with my 5 speaker setup and there is a dedicated subwoofer out but my box doesn't allow this type of connection...

Should I even bother I wonder...?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
You can't connect that sub unless you put a power amplifier of some sort between the 640R and the sub. The one you have is a passive design (ie no built-in amplifier), whereas what you need is an active sub.

Given the price of a power amp to go between the two, and unpredictable results given the fact the sub you have probably has very low impedance (as is usual with subs of this kind), the most cost-effective route is going to be a budget subwoofer such as the Wharfedale SW100, which you can pick up for around £100.

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys, literally covering the bases from A to Z eh ??!! sorry it's early !!!

TRENDING THREADS