How to connect a Subwoofer to a Stereo setup?

sometimesuk

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
Alright guys, I think I know the answer but I thought I would ask for advice / to confirm.

System: Musical Fidelity A3 Cd player and Amp. Audiovector mi1 Signature speakers. Nordost cables.

I would like a bit more bass weight with my Hifi setup and after reading about AVI’s small stereo speakers with a subwoofer, I would like to try adding a subwoofer to my system. Before I buy one, I plan on borrowing my father’s subwoofer just to see what effect it would have.

I am unsure about the different ways to connect a subwoofer. My amplifier does not have a Low Frequency output on it and only one set of speaker outputs. It does have a pre-amp output thought; can this be used in someway? I know that one possible way is to connect the speaker outputs straight from the amplifier to the Subwoofer and then use the speaker outputs on the subwoofer to connect my speakers.

Personally, I don’t like the idea of using this method as I would use my Nordost cables to connect to the sub, but I would have to buy another set of cables to connect my speakers up. I know that I need another set of speaker cables anyway, but if I could connect the sub direct to the amplifier, or off the speakers, I would just buy cheapish speaker cables.

Is there a way of using the Pre-amp output of the amplifier to connect to the subwoofer? Any help / advise would be much appreciated.

A

Anonymous

sometimesuk:
Alright guys, I think I know the answer but I thought I would ask for advice / to confirm.

System: Musical Fidelity A3 Cd player and Amp. Audiovector mi1 Signature speakers. Nordost cables.

I would like a bit more bass weight with my Hifi setup and after reading about AVI's small stereo speakers with a subwoofer, I would like to try adding a subwoofer to my system. Before I buy one, I plan on borrowing my father's subwoofer just to see what effect it would have.

I am unsure about the different ways to connect a subwoofer. My amplifier does not have a Low Frequency output on it and only one set of speaker outputs. It does have a pre-amp output thought; can this be used in someway? I know that one possible way is to connect the speaker outputs straight from the amplifier to the Subwoofer and then use the speaker outputs on the subwoofer to connect my speakers.

Personally, I don't like the idea of using this method as I would use my Nordost cables to connect to the sub, but I would have to buy another set of cables to connect my speakers up. I know that I need another set of speaker cables anyway, but if I could connect the sub direct to the amplifier, or off the speakers, I would just buy cheapish speaker cables.

Is there a way of using the Pre-amp output of the amplifier to connect to the subwoofer? Any help / advise would be much appreciated.

Just wire it to the back of the speakers. Any old cheap wire will be fine.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Assuming the subwoofer has low-level inputs, then yes you can use the preouts on the amp.

If not, connect it in parallel to the speaker outputs of the amplifier either using stacking banana plugs or with bare wire connections to the amp's terminals.

What's the sub you're going to borrow, and what are you thinking of buying...?

sometimesuk

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for replying.

I'm glad that I can use the Pre-amp output on the amplifer to connect the subwoofer.

I'm assumming the electronics within the subwoofer will make sure that mid / high frequences wont get through to the woofer unit, to damage it. (Is this correct)

Andrew: I was planning on borrowing a yamaha sub. I dont know what model it is, but I do know it does have low level inputs (I think, from memory). Its an upright model, about 500mm ish high, 200 wide.

If I find that I can get some additional weight from the sound, and get it to blend reasonably well (Whole point is to just get an idea). I would proberly audition subwoofers around the £500 mark, if I decide to pursue further. I propberly should spend more, to suit the speakers, £1000 say, but I would rather put the money towards upgrading my amplifer.

I'm not sure how much audiovectors subwoofers are, but they would make a logical starting point, or Dynaudio have a similar sound characteristic.

Any advise?

sometimesuk

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for replying.

I'm glad that I can use the Pre-amp output on the amplifer to connect the subwoofer.

I'm assumming the electronics within the subwoofer will make sure that mid / high frequences wont get through to the woofer unit, to damage it. (Is this correct)

Andrew: I was planning on borrowing a yamaha sub. I dont know what model it is, but I do know it does have low level inputs (I think, from memory). Its an upright model, about 500mm ish high, 200 wide.

If I find that I can get some additional weight from the sound, and get it to blend reasonably well (Whole point is to just get an idea). I would proberly audition subwoofers around the £500 mark, if I decide to pursue further. I proberly should spend more, to suit the speakers, £1000 say, but I would rather put the money towards upgrading my amplifer.

I'm not sure how much audiovectors subwoofers are, but they would make a logical starting point, or Dynaudio have a similar sound characteristic.

Any advise?

sometimesuk

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
Well, I've just set up my my farthers Yamaha subwoofer, Model SW305.

I found an article written by Jason Kennedy on how to correctly setup a subwoofer and followed his instructions using a number of different CD's

Verdict: What a disapointment. I'm not sure if its because the subwoofer isnt setup correctly, but turning on the subwoofer while adding bass to the lower end, seems to just completly muddle on the bottom and it sounds a if I just have "one note bass" that is very slow.

I'm think this isnt because the subwoofer isnt correctly setup, or producing too much output, as the volume is in proportion to the music, it just sound as I said above if its just "one note" and sluggish. Switching off the subwoofer seems to bring far more detail and speed to the lower midrange and bass. (although this could be the crossover is set to high, prehaps?)

Is it the setup, or just that subwoofer isnt very musical? What do you think?

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i would say its because its not a musical sub and is prob designed to just supply one note or a thump for movies as opposed to following notes - i run a sub that i think is pretty musical and fast. setup takes a little while but once volume sorted the sub sould be set to crossover slightly above where your main speakers finish.

also not a lot of room really in that box for the two 20cm drivers to move

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts