how to bring sparkle to my system

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
Hello all,

Have not posted in a long while. I have had my current system (see below/my sig) for a good few months now and i'm not sure i'm entirely happy with it. Its an entertaining listen in some respects but sometimes it seems a bit flat, lacking life and one dimensional. My listening room is quite small, maybe 3mtr wide and 7mtr long. Lots of soft furnishings. I think it might be my amplifier at fault because its an oldie ? Id like some more sparkle and life injected but not sure what i can do to achieve this ? Ive thought of swapping my amp for something a bit brighter and livelier, but then folks say the Genki is a very forward player so maybe not ?

Ive never been any good at identifying sounds like warm, bright, forward, restrained and so i usually struggle when trying to identify a problem in a system. Am i just having one of those restless hifi moments ?

Funds are tight too. I love vintage kit as you can see.

Hope someone can help me with this !

idc

Hi, I would start by moving your speakers and you and rearranging your soft furnishings and making sure that is not the issue. Then how are your speakers supported? Reducing any wobble should tighten up the bass and make it more dynamic.

Once you have tried all those options, then look at your kit.

A

Anonymous

Treble is directional so if you toe the speakers in towards your listening position then you should hear a more forward sound. What's the distance between the speakers? Can you try them closer together as it might help the imaging and the apparent openness.

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
Cheers idc, igglebert. I will have a tinker with the positioning of my speakers over the next week or so and see if this improves things. My room is small so there's not much room to move things if you know what i mean ! But toe-ing in my speakers is do-able.

A

Anonymous

i had my speakers toed in , but i found a touch of sibilence from time to time , and after reading a post of the record spot , i put them facing straight ahead as he said this can tame a little brightness , it worked
emotion-21.gif
, all sounding fine now ...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts