How to augment Quad 909/CDP2 system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a Quad 909 and CDP2 based system, with matched Quad floor standers. The system is also used to drive output for DVD and tv audio. Can anyone recommend some additional kit to add to the system to make it even better? eg, I was thinking, would I need the matching 99 series pre amp, or is that not necessary, given the CDP2? What about some external MP3 input device? I have masses of mp3/flac files on external drives; could these be rationalised by some addition to the system?

Many thanks,

Tony Ryan

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Often in hi-fi: less is more. Simpler systems tend to sound better than more complex systems. But this isn't always the case.

By all means try a 99 pre-amp in your system. You might prefer the sound with your CDP2 straight to your 909, or you might prefer it with the 99 inbetween.

If I had a load of mp3/flac files on external drives, I'd simply connect them to my PC or laptop and then connect that to an inexpensive audio interface and then connect that to my amplifier.

Quad electrostatics would be a good way to make your system sound better. There are also a few other proper sized non-Quad speakers that you may or may not prefer to the electrostatics - depending on your tastes.

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
afryan said:
I have masses of mp3/flac files on external drives; could these be rationalised by some addition to the system?
A NAS and a Squeezebox Touch.

Transfer all your files onto the NAS, keeping the external drives as backup, and stream to the Squeezebox Touch connected to one of the digital inputs on your Quad CDP-2. Both the Squeezebox and Quad can handle upto 24bit/96kHz files, so you can enjoy higher resolution downloads too.

This will give you access to all your MP3/FLAC files (as well as thousands of internet radio stations) via your Hi-Fi setup without the need to have a computer running.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts