How to add digital streaming to my existing analogue system

RichD1

Aug 23, 2020
Visit site
I‘ve had the following analogue system for over 30 years and it has served me well.

Rega 2 with Ortofon MC25E cartridge, Arcam Alpha plus CD, Naim NAC62/NAP140 playing into PRO9TLs.

But it’s time to add a proper music streamer/DAC to the system. I currently have all my music ripped and stored on a NAS and play it via my iPad to an Apple Airport Express into a DACmagic and into the NAC62. This gets a bit tedious when we just want to listen to a quick bit of music so have bought resorted to a Bose Soundwave.

What would you recommend to add to my front end to provide digital capabilities which matches the rest of my system?

Richard

Jimboo

I‘ve had the following analogue system for over 30 years and it has served me well.

Rega 2 with Ortofon MC25E cartridge, Arcam Alpha plus CD, Naim NAC62/NAP140 playing into PRO9TLs.

But it’s time to add a proper music streamer/DAC to the system. I currently have all my music ripped and stored on a NAS and play it via my iPad to an Apple Airport Express into a DACmagic and into the NAC62. This gets a bit tedious when we just want to listen to a quick bit of music so have bought resorted to a Bose Soundwave.

What would you recommend to add to my front end to provide digital capabilities which matches the rest of my system?

Richard
Why did you rip your cd collection to a nas and then make the cd player redundant and then decide a streamer is more convenient?
I never seem to get an answer from hi fi enthusiasts as to why they rip and stream?
What's the point?

Reactions: dallasjs

record_spot

Yep, the Arylic S10. About £50-75, great little box. Does up to 24/192, no DSD or MQA, but that's no biggie, great app, great interface, bargain of the year. Had mine just over a week now and love it.

iMark

I never seem to get an answer from hi fi enthusiasts as to why they rip and stream?
What's the point?
The point is that you have your music collection at your disposal without having to go to your collection, get the disc out of the case, start the CD player etc. All our CDs are in my iTunes library. We can use iPhones and iPads as a remote control for the library. The music is on an external hard drive of the Mac mini in another room. The music is streamed via Airplay to our Yamaha Network receiver. We also have a Logitech remote hub to control all audio/video equipment in the living room.

The only music left near our listening spot are our LPs, SACDs, DVD-As and BDs. All our CDs are in boxes, stored in the attic.

Another advantage of ripping CDs is that you can transfer the files to a phone or other music player. That works great with CarPlay in the car.

RichD1

Aug 23, 2020
Visit site
Why did you rip your cd collection to a nas and then make the cd player redundant and then decide a streamer is more convenient?
What's the point?
It‘s simple, the word is convenience. We have a motorhome so like to take our music with us. If we sit down to listen to music then it’s thro’ vinyl or CD but when it’s background say over a meal or for a party the ability to create a playlist Is brilliant. When the weather is good like it has been over the past 3 or 4 months then we like to eat and entertain outside and this is where the Bose comes in.

Regarding budget it rather depends on what quality the product is to match the existing sound through the Naim. But I would say up to £1000 for a DAC or around £2000 for an all-in-one system like the products from Naim. But I would prefer to maintain my NAC62/NAP140.

Richard

Yeah but you can create playlists on,..................
Ah, forget it. If there is a way of spending money on more boxes and formats etc it just feels more , audiophile.
In a motor home you're not actually gonna get a good WiFi connection.
Streaming is Not the be all and end all.
I occasionally like to listen to music in my car as well.....

Jimboo

Um , why do you need a WiFi connection for download compiled playlists?
streaming is a lot simpler than ripping or the absurdity of leaving physical copies in the attic and then buying a storage solution when none is needed. Given the fact you are in a car you are not going to be using speakers that will give you fantastic sound quality are you.
It's happening chaps the unavoidable fact that soon everything will be available to stream in cd quality or higher and it will be available from one hand held pocket sized device that pairs with your car stereo, active speaker or old style hifi , actually it's already available
unlimited data , WiFi etc bye bye cables ,collections , Nas etc. Just the ability to type or ask your app and bingo!
I will stick with my records because I am old and I will play c.d because I have so many.

Um , why do you need a WiFi connection for download compiled playlists?
streaming is a lot simpler than ripping or the absurdity of leaving physical copies in the attic and then buying a storage solution when none is needed. Given the fact you are in a car you are not going to be using speakers that will give you fantastic sound quality are you.
It's happening chaps the unavoidable fact that soon everything will be available to stream in cd quality or higher and it will be available from one hand held pocket sized device that pairs with your car stereo, active speaker or old style hifi , actually it's already available
unlimited data , WiFi etc bye bye cables ,collections , Nas etc. Just the ability to type or ask your app and bingo!
I will stick with my records because I am old and I will play c.d because I have so many.
Downloading onto what?
You mentioned streaming not downloading so don't change the subject when you cannot answer the questions.

D

Deleted member 108165

What's the point?
It gives me more options. I've done it purely out of laziness, convenience and a wish to keep my CDP in a working condition as long as possible. I like my current CD collection, and I also like my CDP immensely - it does see some use for classical or SACD playback. Personally I don't find streaming sites very convenient.

Reactions: iMark and Gray

Gray

What's the point?
I can understand that first question Jimboo.
It does seem like an illogical thing to do.
Nobody is more anti-complication (and anti unnecessary spendout) than me. But I'm another one who's done it.
Never even owned a computer (still don't own a smartphone). Bought a laptop to FLAC my CD collection.
Still got a Marantz KI CDP, which sounds great. But must admit that my latest little £100 DAC makes files (streamed from dirt-cheap RPi) sound that bit better.

I'd never go for convenience at the expense of sound quality.....but it is quite nice to bung your next fancied track on the end of the current playlist by just touching the screen of an old Nexus 7 tablet.
These days you can have convenience and better than ever performance for 'no' money.

Having said all that, I like the look of the new NAD M33 - good touchscreen display - decent class D amp.
Trouble is it costs double what I consider to be too much :(.

Last edited:

Jimboo

It gives me more options. I've done it purely out of laziness, convenience and a wish to keep my CDP in a working condition as long as possible. I like my current CD collection, and I also like my CDP immensely - it does see some use for classical or SACD playback. Personally I don't find streaming sites very convenient.
I like the old cd player too Doug.
However they are slowly going the way of the dodo. Off the top of your head or with a couple of days research name 10 affordable new c.d players and then spend 10 minutes looking for affordable streamers.

Jimboo

It's the way of the world Jimboo.
I would call you a dinosaur, if I weren't one myself.
Quite, I have said on here numerous times that Linn and naim etc, etc are all making streaming app based hifi . If that doesn't prove that the old ways are on their way out I don't know what does.
As usual the rippers have done little to convince me of the value of their efforts.

Gray

Quite, I have said on here numerous times that Linn and naim etc, etc are all making streaming app based hifi . If that doesn't prove that the old ways are on their way out I don't know what does.
As usual the rippers have done little to convince me of the value of their efforts.
Yep, whether they liked the idea not, those old firms would just miss out on sales if they didn't go with the trend.
Though ATC have just brought out a new £2000 CDP.
Play CDs is all it can do - only real dedicated CD fans need apply for that.

Get yourself a streamer - you know you want to :LOL:

RichD1

Aug 23, 2020
Visit site
Please can we get back to my original question.

BTW Jimboo, I don't buy whatever is the latest fad in hi-fi. I've not changed my music system for over 30 years.

Richard

Reactions: Friesiansam

Jimboo

Yep, whether they liked the idea not, those old firms would just miss out on sales if they didn't go with the trend.
Though ATC have just brought out a new £2000 CDP.
Play CDs is all it can do - only real dedicated CD fans need apply for that.

Get yourself a streamer - you know you want to :LOL:
I own kefls50w speakers and I am (for now) covered.
The naim qb in the living room is mainly used by the wife for her playlists.

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts