How much will I need to spend to notice improvement on current set up?

jamescg1972

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

I currently use an HRT Microstreamer with either DT880 250ohm or Soundmagic HP100 headphones. With my birthday coming up next month, I had a plan of spending about £1000 on a non portable DAC Amp set up (considered something like the new Oppo HA1or the Fostex HP A8).

However, my wife decided that she wanted a new (to her) car for her 40th this month so my budget has pretty much vanished (and then some!). I started to look at alternatives, such as the Schiit Magni/Modi combination, or using the microstreamer as a DAC into the little dot iii or even a Maverick Tubemagic D1. I also weighed up the new NAD amps (1050, or 3020)

This made me start to wonder what is the minimum I need to spend before I started to see a real improvement in sound quality over my current set up. Do I spend a couple or so hundred now or would it be better to stick with my portable gear (which I use either with my ipad via the lightning connector, or lap top) for a few months while I build up a pot of money to treat myself at Christmas.

cheers

James

jamescg1972

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, but it's so hard to wait.

If there was a figure I could spend now that wouldn't break the bank but improve the sound quality noticeably...

Problem is, I don't know what that figure is to decide if I can afford it or whether I'll need to wait.

(Not sure what happened in first post. There wasn't meant to be a smiley there. Should have said HP A8.)

Cheers

James

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I would avoid a separate DAC and amp, because the slight improvement in sound you might get would be lost through the DAC output wiring and jacks, the interconnect cable, and the amp input wiring and jacks. One bargain DAC/amp that sounds great is the O2 plus ODAC by JDS Labs, and possibly others.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts