How much should I put my hi fi up for

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
If everything goes well with the AVI demo, I'll be getting rid of my hi fi. I'd prefer it to go as one and as a Buy It Now on eBay. I know we are all optimistic about what we can get, but I want to be realistic too. An Auction listing will be far too stressful.

As follows (I'm keeping the Sonos)

Roksan Kandy K2 CDP
Roksan Kandy K2 amp
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC (asynch version)
Monitor Audio RS6s

Chord Chameleon SP RCAs
Chord CrimsonPlus RCAs
Chord Optichord

2 x 5m of Chord Rumour 2 with QED Airlocks

Blok Stax 400 stand

I was thinking around £1500 - £2k

All boxes etc

PS please remove this thread, if you think of it as trading, however I won't reveal my eBay id on here.

crang

Feb 17, 2008
Visit site
I would be upset if I didn't get at least 2K for that lot! Cables Ic,s etc are about 300 on their own! Good luck don't forget ebays rip off charges though!

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Personally I'd take my time, look at completed listing on BIN and auction to work out a fair price (taking into account condition etc) then put each component up individually for 30 days with a BINOBO. Less stress than auction and almost certainly higher income than putting it up as one.

WinterRacer

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
I sold a whole load of hi-fi recently on ebay. I took my time and sold each item on auction, I started each one with a low reserve and fair delivery charges, on a Thursday evening to finish on Sunday evening (10 day listing) so as to be live over two weekends. Each time I listed something, they followed the same pattern, some early activity, speculative (low) offers to end the auction early and then a final round of bids that took the item up higher than any early offers.

I agree it's stressful doing it this way, but probably the best way to get most value. As everything you've got is pretty recent, boxed and well reviewed, I personally don't think you'd be taking much risk with an auction...

Whichever you do, good luck and enjoy your new ADMs :)

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
I've found it more exciting that stressful. I've quite a few bits on eBay (and bought too). Sales that conclude on Sunday evening do best (as mentioned above).

I was bidding on two Sonos Zone bridges - one sold on Sunday for £22, and one at 11 last night (went for just £12.50). Maybe try selling some interconnects first too whet your appetite.

You will get a lot more by selling separately (but include links to your other items). There may be 20 people interested in your amp, but only 2 interested in amp, speakers and cd player...

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
I have sold whole setup via ebay and did really well. Sold each item seperately but at same time which shows auction more genuine to me. Take care to describe items in best possible light (whilst being honest).

Example advert, worked for me which might help. These went for nearly £700 from memory.

Spendor S5/E Speakers in Mint Condition

The Spendor S5/E is a 2.5 way floor standing loudspeakers 3D linear flow reflex, finished in Maple veneer. Owned from new, brought from Rayleigh Hi-Fi Colchester 2005, serial numbers 303A01645 & 646. Currently retail for £1225. These speakers are in perfect, unmarked mint condition and always used respectfully. I have these partnered to a Naim CD5i player, Naim Nait 3 Amplifier and Audioquest Bedrock speaker cable and simply sound superb. These are also up for auction!

These are great full range speakers which sound natural, smooth and an uncoloured sound that suits all styles of music tastes. It also is quite compact and looks stunning with great build quality. In addition they are easy to drive and are not fussy about placement close to a wall.

This award winning speaker including What Hi-fi previously best speaker in £1000 - £2000 category and reviews comments from Stereophile “I’ve never heard anything near this size and price that has the Spendor S5/E comination of strengths. I can’t recommend it strongly enough”

Comes in original packaging, user manual, registration card, floor spikes and screw plates for single wiring. The gold plated binding posts allow for bi-wiring or bi-amping.

See full specification at http://www.spendoraudio.com/exp1024.htm

See http://www.homecinemaimports.com/links.html for a range of in-depth reviews.

Preferred payment by Cheque, Bank Transfer or Cash but will also accept Paypal on request. Due to Weight (18kg each) and size it is preferred for collection or arranged delivery to house at agreed costs subject to location but will also arrange postal / courier delivery as preferred.

Very sad to be letting these much loved speakers go, which is forced by house move and room logistics.

Good luck bidding!

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
The thing about selling as one job lot is that you only get hit with one lot of Ebay fees, maximum £40.00 I believe.

A figure of £2K was mentioned above, so just say that you were very lucky and got a buyer then you'd only pay £40.00 which isn't too bad really. Sell them seperately and you're paying 10% of every sale, then it starts to add up.

Recently I sold my entire turntable set-up on Ebay, tried it at first as an all in package at a BIN price of £500.00. I had plenty of interest but no bids, which is what I thought would happen to be honest. Then I broke everything down (deck, arm, cartridge,phono stage, mat, scales, knosti, cleaning brushes etc ) and sold everything for just over £500 in total. Pretty hassle free apart from one idiot who bought my 2nd hand Goldring 1042 for £185.00! Considering a brand new one is £230.00 and similar 2nd hand carts were going for the £100-£120 mark I half expected him not pay up, and I was right. Never heard from him again until I raised a dispute with Ebay and then he eventually sent me a message to say that someone had bid on his behalf, and he knew nothing about it.

Do your research and watch what similar items are going for and pitch yours accordingly. Some items are only going to be of interest to a very small number of people so don't start it too low if using the auction method otherwise you'll find it being sold for far less than it's worth. In the case of my phono card for my old Creek Evo 2 amp, that was up for about 40 days before I eventually sold it to someone in New Zealand no less. He was the only who showed an interest, so sometimes you just have to bide your time and wait. Someone, somewhere will eventually want it.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
One other thought, have you tried selling it all privately on one of the other hi-fi forums? There's several to choose from, you might get better prices(or at least as much as on Ebay) less the fees. Over the years I've bought and sold plenty of stuff this way, as well as on Ebay.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I've bought and sold loads on eBay but nervous about the possibility of a 2k hi fi going for £500.

That's a really good point about eBay fees (max £40).

I'll prob put it all up for a 2k BIN, just to test the water.

And investigate selling through another forum.

I hope I'm not jumping the gun, but I'd like to have everything geared up if I go ahead with the order.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts