How much does the cd player matter?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
It means your rip is not bit-for-bit 100℅ accurate compared to their reference rips (in the plural - they check multiples just to be sure).
The inaccurate rip may not be noticeable at all. If it's not noticeable, don't worry. On the other hand if you suddenly heat The Smurfs singing backing vocals for Alex Harvey's you might want to buy (or borrow) a replacement CD or download a replacement FLAC file from the web.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Benedict_Arnold said:
It means your rip is not bit-for-bit 100℅ accurate compared to their reference rips (in the plural - they check multiples just to be sure). The inaccurate rip may not be noticeable at all. If it's not noticeable, don't worry. On the other hand if you suddenly heat The Smurfs singing backing vocals for Alex Harvey's you might want to buy (or borrow) a replacement CD or download a replacement FLAC file from the web.

Cheers. I was just curious why every other track was ripped Bit Perfect and just the odd one wasn't.

BTW if you know your Alex Harvey then you would't be too surprised if The Smurfs suddenly came on
regular_smile.gif

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:
Gazzip said:
NSA_watch_my_toilet said:
I now heard hundreds of cd players in my hifi part of life. And I must say that they don't matter that much. You are finding excellently sounding cd players for a couple of hundred bucks. Used, a good cdp will cost your nearly nothing.

On my accuphase set, I have a simple denon dcd running that I found on ebay for 200$. I liked his classy face and get for it. I miss nothing, even with high resolving gear and good prepared room. Had some Accuphasee, Audia, Rega, Luxman and other Wadia running in the same conditions before of that.

I have a completely opposing point of view to this. I use my CDP as a transport only in to a DAC. Having recently switched from a Bel Canto CD2 with outboard power supply (Phillips Pro 2 transport mechanism), to an Esoteric X-03SE (VRDS-NEO transport mechanism) the differences are night and day. My research leads me to the conclusion that clocking anomolies are responsible for this.

Check out the link below for the science bit explaining how jitter not dealt with in the transport stage can effect SQ.

http://www.whathifi.com/hi-fi/esoteric-sacd-player?page=1

So what are these night and day differences?

Just sounds much better to me.

I went to restaurant X last week. How was it? Oh, wow! It was night and day compared to restaurant Y. Did they serve you food? Yes. Then you a wrong.

Hopefully you get my point. You need to stop being quite so literal.

D

Deleted member 108165

DIB said:
+1

As easy to use as it gets, well worth the money if you've got a large collection to rip.

What is actually meant by Inaccurate Rip? For example, I've just ripped my new 14 Disc SAHB Last of the Teenage Idols collection, and there were one or two tracks where Inaccurate Rip was indicated. Those tracks played and sounded OK to me when played back on Foobar2000, but I deleted them and re-ripped just those tracks again. Same result, they were showing as Inaccurate Rip but again played fine to my ears so I just left them as they were.

Download EAC (freeware) rip it again and compare the results.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
DIB said:
Benedict_Arnold said:
It means your rip is not bit-for-bit 100℅ accurate compared to their reference rips (in the plural - they check multiples just to be sure). The inaccurate rip may not be noticeable at all. If it's not noticeable, don't worry. On the other hand if you suddenly heat The Smurfs singing backing vocals for Alex Harvey's you might want to buy (or borrow) a replacement CD or download a replacement FLAC file from the web.

Cheers. I was just curious why every other track was ripped Bit Perfect and just the odd one wasn't.

BTW if you know your Alex Harvey then you would't be too surprised if The Smurfs suddenly came on

Huge Alex Harvey fan here. What he did to Tom Jones "Delilah" made Joe Cocker (who I also love immensely) and his cover of "I Get By" look like Dana covering the Pogues :)

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
DougK said:
DIB said:
+1

As easy to use as it gets, well worth the money if you've got a large collection to rip.

What is actually meant by Inaccurate Rip? For example, I've just ripped my new 14 Disc SAHB Last of the Teenage Idols collection, and there were one or two tracks where Inaccurate Rip was indicated. Those tracks played and sounded OK to me when played back on Foobar2000, but I deleted them and re-ripped just those tracks again. Same result, they were showing as Inaccurate Rip but again played fine to my ears so I just left them as they were.

Download EAC (freeware) rip it again and compare the results.

I've tried EAC in the past and I much prefer dBPoweramp. I've listened closely to the so called Inaccurate rips and I cannot for the life of me hear anything amiss so that will do for me.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Gazzip said:
BigH said:
Gazzip said:
I now heard hundreds of cd players in my hifi part of life. And I must say that they don't matter that much. You are finding excellently sounding cd players for a couple of hundred bucks. Used, a good cdp will cost your nearly nothing.

On my accuphase set, I have a simple denon dcd running that I found on ebay for 200$. I liked his classy face and get for it. I miss nothing, even with high resolving gear and good prepared room. Had some Accuphasee, Audia, Rega, Luxman and other Wadia running in the same conditions before of that.

I have a completely opposing point of view to this. I use my CDP as a transport only in to a DAC. Having recently switched from a Bel Canto CD2 with outboard power supply (Phillips Pro 2 transport mechanism), to an Esoteric X-03SE (VRDS-NEO transport mechanism) the differences are night and day. My research leads me to the conclusion that clocking anomolies are responsible for this.

Check out the link below for the science bit explaining how jitter not dealt with in the transport stage can effect SQ.

I went to restaurant X last week. How was it? Oh, wow! It was night and day compared to restaurant Y. Did they serve you food? Yes. Then you a wrong.

You were the one who said "night and day differences", now all you can say is its sounds better.

Maybe you need to stop making statements you can't substantiate.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
No!

Make sure you have at least THREE separate copies with one of them stored off site. Anything less and it's not safe.

Which is why I said make at least one.

Even making just one duplicate backup is more than most newbies think about until it's too late, be it music, digital images or any other data. Many newbies will rip their media to the PC they intend to view / listen it on, and they won't think twice about that itself being a risk because likely as anything they don't back it up. Microshaft(ed) don't help the situation, with non-pro versions of Windows 7 onwards, they have deliberately disabled their built-in back-up tool from backing up to network-based storage, though I realise there are various third-party options which will.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
steve_1979 said:
No!

Make sure you have at least THREE separate copies with one of them stored off site. Anything less and it's not safe.

Which is why I said make at least one.

Even making just one duplicate backup is more than most newbies think about until it's too late, be it music, digital images or any other data. Many newbies will rip their media to the PC they intend to view / listen it on, and they won't think twice about that itself being a risk because likely as anything they don't back it up. Microshaft(ed) don't help the situation, with non-pro versions of Windows 7 onwards, they have deliberately disabled their built-in back-up tool from backing up to network-based storage, though I realise there are various third-party options which will.

I also keep an 'offsite' backup external HDD at work (bootable 'SuperDuper!' image from the Mac*) and 'rotate' that, about once a month, with my latest home backup. (My other 'work from home' system is backed up remotely twice a week - or on-demand - but I don't keep music or photos or other personal stuff on that.)

* I occasionally test that I can still boot from one, usually after major Mac OS upgrades.

DIB said:
Benedict_Arnold said:

?

No silly blue hats just some bloke in a black and white striped top. ;-)

BigH said:
Gazzip said:
BigH said:
Gazzip said:

You were the one who said "night and day differences", now all you can say is its sounds better.

Maybe you need to stop making statements you can't substantiate.

We can all say it sounds miles better but that means only to ourselves. Others may think we are talking ballcocks, but isn't that what it's all about?

There is absolutely no point in doubting what others hear or how they care to describe it.

It's purely an opinion, everybody's got one, a bit like an arsehole.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts