How much difference does balanced XLR outputs make?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
What is balanced about an XLR output? Does the theory behind it mean a massive increase in quality....

My first listening of the (old) Cambridge Audio Dacmagic 2 was using the phono outputs... whilst it was certainly impressive it kind of suffered from over-brightness... it was that odd combination of of sounding exhilerating but also also quite wearing on the ears...

Today the XLR to phono lead came and I have plugged it up and it has eliminated that forward brightness and made the sound alot more palitable... can someone tell me what is the differences that this technology employs and perhaps others can tell me of their experiences of switching from phono to XLRs?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
An XLR-to-phono lead shouldn't make much difference at all; the real benefits are heard when you use a fully balanced connection between two balanced components.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:An XLR-to-phono lead shouldn't make much difference at all; the real benefits are heard when you use a fully balanced connection between two balanced components.

Yeah... I just discovered that the reason it sounded smoother is that the right XLR output is blown and was not working (was testing with Massive Attack at high volume so it did take a while to work out why the CD192 was sounding so much fuller and the DAC was magically mellower on the bass
emotion-2.gif
I lift 'Numpti-ism' to whole new level).

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
bloatedgut:
Andrew Everard:An XLR-to-phono lead shouldn't make much difference at all; the real benefits are heard when you use a fully balanced connection between two balanced components.

Yeah... I just discovered that the reason it sounded smoother is that the right XLR output is blown and was not working (was testing with Massive Attack at high volume so it did take a while to work out why the CD192 was sounding so much fuller and the DAC was magically mellower on the bass
emotion-2.gif
I lift 'Numpti-ism' to whole new level).

That'll be the new fad now. Make your system more real sounding by only listening to one channel!

:)

wireman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Yes, how can anyone disagree with Andrew (I wouldn't dare disagree!).

But, for the record, exposure used both phono and XLR (wired as single ended) sockets for connections between their pre and power amplifiers on the basis that XLR plugs and sockets "just sound better". And they do.

Countering that argument though, using a Levinson 390s CD player feeding a Stax 006 valve energiser with Stax 404 electrostatic "signature" 'phones, connected directly using both single ended phono's and true XLR balanced connections, it's very difficult to differentiate between the two (other than, of course, the standard +6db lift in volume through the balanced XLR).

Does this add anything to the debate? Only that XLR connectors can sometimes sound better than phono's when wired as single ended, and that XLR balanced doesn't always sound better than single ended phono. That's added some possible confusion to the myth that XLR balanced always sounds better!

theadmans

Jun 4, 2009
Visit site
I use an old Cambridge Dacmagic 2 MKII as well.

I also
purchased an XLR to phono cable but to me the main benefit was that I
could use this cable to connect to my main stereo amp and then have the
conventional RCA phono output going to my headphone amp.

The
Dacmagic can sound a little bright so for now I have added a Musical
Fidelity x10d Tube Buffer which calms things down. To me this sounds
great even with my very revealing AVI Neutron speakers.

However, I
was in conversation with a chap at Audiocom recently and he said his
company used to do mods for the old Dacmagic in the 90s. Have to say I
am tempted as really like this old Dac for it's standard size and
facilities. The chap at Audiocom said he would be willing to look at
doing these mods again for around £150.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts