How loud will your go!

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Nicked from another thread but thought it could be a bit fun.

Use the below link to get your SPL reading, tell us your amp/speakers and/or watts and sensitivity.

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

My amp is 360 watts into 4 ohms with speaker being very unfriendly 4ohm 85db.

Comes in at 105.3db at listening position of 12ft away. :grin:

Tell us yours!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Putting in 40 wpc (instead of 50 wpc) because I am never going to use full power and I want to avoid past arguments about the 'true' vs rated power of an M-CR603 ...

102.3 db at 9 feet distance.

(Speakers are 89db)

I remember once cranking up my system quite loud (loud for my taste anyway) and measuring the SPL with the decibel meter on my iPhone (hardly accurate I know) and got peaks of 88 - 90 db from where I was sitting.

It sounded great, but I wouldn't want to listen like that for more than a minute or two. It's just loud for the sake of loud and added nothing in terms of music enjoyment.

I like to be able to hear other people in the room speak. If we have to raise our voices to hear each other then it's too loud. If I am listening on my own I still want to hear the phone or front door. And I don't want to risk hearing damage either. I've managed to avoid any so far and want to keep it that way.

michael hoy

6018022384_f3c50d1343.jpg

My readings

T

the record spot

Mission 752 - 89db

Sansui AU-717 - 85wpc as per Sansui (measured to 100wpc however)

At seven feet from my speakers, the calculator tells me I've around 104db SPL at listening position.

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
SPL CALCULATORSpeaker Sensitivity: dB SPL (1 W/1 M)Amplifier Power: WattsDistance: feetNo. of Speakers: usually 2, more for multi-channelSpeaker Placement (Choose 1): Away from walls (or do not consider placement) Near a wall (within 2 to 4 feet) In a corner (within 18 to 24 inches)RESULTSdB Gain from amplifierdB Loss due to dispersion (distance)dB Gain from sonic reinforcement (multi speakers)db Gain from placement (reinforcement from reflected sound)dB SPL at listening postion
My readings

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Speakers = 86dB

Amp = 75 watts (the amp is higher but the speakers max is rated at 75)

Distance = 5 feet and in a corner

SPL with 2 speakers = 110dB

SPL with 5 speakers = 114dB

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
i'm not sure the figures from that calculator should be relied upon, according to harmon kardon - "Home stereo: 150 W for 85 dB SPL average (with 15 dB peaks), 1,500 W for 95 dB SPL average (with 15 dB peaks)" they are assuming a speaker sensitivity of 85db/w and unclipped peaks.

my speakers have 750 watt per speaker and have peak output of 114db, and, being active they go a lot louder then a passive setup would with the same amp power. i've never gone anywhere near max volume, even when trying to see what max volume sounds like! scared of damaging my hearing. :)

A

Anonymous

117.8 dB SPL with 5 channels at about around 8 ft. Although I don't believe the AVR actually can do that, I've had the dial set to 0dB on occasion, and while loud it wasn't really that loud. Or I'm going deaf :rockout:

A

Anonymous

patrickvanham said:
I've had the dial set to 0dB on occasion, and while loud it wasn't really that loud. Or I'm going deaf :rockout:

0dB is not a sound level, it just means a voltage gain of 1.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Craig M. said:
my speakers have 750 watt per speaker and have peak output of 114db, and, being active they go a lot louder then a passive setup would with the same amp power.
How does that work? Surely a loudspeaker will give the same SPL for 1W @ 1m irrespective of whether the amp driving it is either enclosed in the speaker-box or 10 feet away.

A

Anonymous

Globs said:

The AVR still shows dB as I turn the volume dial. It starts from -80 (inaudible), where 0 is the highest I've set it. That was quite loud, but it should be no loss or gain from the level the source was recorded at. While loud I was afraid to go higher since I do have neigbours. And they complain about hearing a lot at much lower levels. That setting was loud but I still doubt the setup can racht the stated level of 117dB SPL. Although I haven't turned it up beoynd 0, and it may not be possible.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Craig M. said:
my speakers have 750 watt per speaker and have peak output of 114db, and, being active they go a lot louder then a passive setup would with the same amp power.
How does that work? Surely a loudspeaker will give the same SPL for 1W @ 1m irrespective of whether the amp driving it is either enclosed in the speaker-box or 10 feet away.

the crossover in a passive speaker converts much of an amplifiers power into heat. in an active speaker there is no crossover between poweramp and speaker, so the cones get all the amps power.

A

Anonymous

patrickvanham said:
Globs said:

The AVR still shows dB as I turn the volume dial. It starts from -80 (inaudible), where 0 is the highest I've set it. That was quite loud, but it should be no loss or gain from the level the source was recorded at.

Seriously, it really has no relation to anything.

If you changed your speakers to ones 3dB/watt more sensitive it would be twice as loud for the same setting.

If you have an iPhone and a multimeter you could run a sound pressure level app and measure how much volume you actually have, at what power level. Basically even your curtains will affect the actual level you experience - the knob with the markings can't possibly know that, or indeed what speakers you have, how they are positioned and how far away you are from them.

Paul.

I thought when setup with a microphone, a thx avr at 0db was supposed to represent reference level, I.e the volume the films sound engineer intended? That's ment to be 70-80 db ish

Paul.

According to the calculator I get 112.4, but not sure how believable that is. My amp is supposed to kick out 130w per chanel, and I set the calculator at 130w stereo. I dont really believe AVR manufacturers power claims, but my amp is setup passive biamed. I also apreciate the tweeters/mids draw nowhere near as much power as the woofers, and my BR5's would be shredded long before that much power was discharged. Also, I have a 150w sub running off a high level connecter in stereo mode, so I am completely lost.

I think the answer is.... very

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Apparently, 111dB at 7 feet.

For a spectacularly short time, before climaxing with a large bang and then an eerie silence.

My amps 180W per channel, but the speakers only rated at 75. So not going to try and test that one...

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
108dbs at my usual listening distance of 15 feet

If I were to listen at 5 feet I'd be getting 117dbs

That's with my 8 watt amp for listening to vinyl

For watching Blu Rays I use my 40 watt solid state amp which gives me 124dbs at 5 feet

Speakers sit 1" from the corners and are 103db efficient.

The linestage in my record player has an output of 4.4 volts into a 200 ohm load. I've been toying with the idea of connecting my record player directly to my speakers via 12.5 to 1 transformers. This would give me .12 watts and about 99dbs at 5 feet which would be loud enough for most of my listening...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts