How important are equal lengths of speaker wire?

Vortex160

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
ive heard quite a few times that equal speaker wire length is important for stereo imaging, ensuring that left and right recieve the same signal, has do with resistance/ impendence.

im using 3 feet on the left and 11 feet on the right, recently i have noticed that i get more detail and clear sound from the left speaker, the right in comparison has dull and rather lifeless highs.

im assuming the left is getting a stronger signal because of the shorter wire length, thats why the highs are more clear compared to the right speaker.

What do you peeps think?

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
It doesn't make any difference over short distances. It's more likely that your equipment has developed a fault or it's a bad recording, if it is very noticeable.

mikeparker59

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
In my experience none whatsoever, especially over that short a distance, though I must admit my cables are the same length , mainly in case I ever re-arrange my set up at least I have a chance of the cables still being usable :roll: Just think how quickly an electrical signal actually travels using the example of an old fashioned incadescent light bulb you flick the switch, the light comes on instantaneously get my drift?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Sounds more like a suspect tweeter. Switch the speakers around. Does the dull and lifeless high frequency problem now come from the other side?

(Try something mono.)

Listening to an FM broadcast from a tuner is good for this. (Especially as most tuners have a mono button.) If you listen to each tweeter in turn (with your ear very close) do you hear faint hiss from each tweeter - during quiet bits - or only from one?

Check the polarity of your speaker connections at both ends. If one channel has accidently had +ve and -ve swapped then it can skew the sound as well.

Differing lengths of cable are very unlikely to have the effect you described. An electrical signal along a copper cable propagates at between 65 to 95 percent of the speed of light (depending on whether it's shielded or not) so the difference in length between your cables is insignificant with respect to imaging. The differences in resistance and capacitance are going to be insignificant too.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Vortex160 said:
Thanks for the input!

ill try switching the speakers.

the difference isnt that noticeable, i guess im being to analytical.

Don't discount the possibility of expectation bias here, I know they are rather 'dirty' words on here at the moment but it is relatively easy to find yourself hearing exactly what you expect to hear, ie in this case, the shorter cable shounding sharper and more focused.

Don't be put off by this, it happens to every one in different ways and it can be extremely difficult to amend your reactions.

I would follow the advice above and switch speakers around to confirm that they sound the same, place them side by side and listen to each in turn, even using the same speaker wire, if that is what it takes.

If you confirm that they sound the same but still fret that they sound different in their normal positions, then just buy new speaker cables of equal length.

The effect might be entirely psycological, but it is 'real' none the less.

Vortex160

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
davedotco said:
Vortex160 said:
Thanks for the input!

Don't discount the possibility of expectation bias here, I know they are rather 'dirty' words on here at the moment but it is relatively easy to find yourself hearing exactly what you expect to hear, ie in this case, the shorter cable shounding sharper and more focused.

Don't be put off by this, it happens to every one in different ways and it can be extremely difficult to amend your reactions.

I would follow the advice above and switch speakers around to confirm that they sound the same, place them side by side and listen to each in turn, even using the same speaker wire, if that is what it takes.

If you confirm that they sound the same but still fret that they sound different in their normal positions, then just buy new speaker cables of equal length.

ok i just switched the speaker now the dullness has shifted to the left, so its the speaker. The difference is sutble but it is there.It feels like one speaker sounds crisp like a brand new one and the other has aged.

could the dullness be due to ferrofluid in the tweeter drying up?

From outside the tweeters look perfect and identical, no signs of damage.

i about the pmc gb1is recently demo stock with full warranty.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Vortex160 said:
davedotco said:
Vortex160 said:
Thanks for the input!

ok i just switched the speaker now the dullness has shifted to the left, so its the speaker. The difference is sutble but it is there.It feels like one speaker sounds crisp like a brand new one and the other has aged.

If the speakers are under warrantee then speak to your dealer and get them sorted.

Where are you based and is he reliable? Check out what he is prepared to do for you first.

You can fix this yourself with a little help from PMC, but it is your dealers responsibility first up, see what happens.

Vortex160

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
davedotco said:
Vortex160 said:
davedotco said:
Vortex160 said:
Thanks for the input!

If the speakers are under warrantee then speak to your dealer and get them sorted.

Where are you based and is he reliable? Check out what he is prepared to do for you first.

You can fix this yourself with a little help from PMC, but it is your dealers responsibility first up, see what happens.

yes the speakers have a full warranty.

i must admit though the balance has improved after switching the speakers, at least it seems so from my listening position, the left and right are blending in better.

might be related to the amount of speaker toe in.

just to make sure im going to take them to my pmc dealer and have them inspect it.

thanks for the advice.

cheers!

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I think it is only important for your cablesupplier who tells you to buy more wire ;-).

Indeed, there must be something wrong with your system. Toe in could do it, as well as acoustics!

Good luck!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts