how good is the phono stage on the Onkyo 875?

tommyb

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
buying a turntable soon - a technics SL1210 by the looks of it.

How good is the phono stage on the 875?

how much should I be spending on a seperate to see an improvement over the 875's?

A

Anonymous

Ive no idea how much you'd need to spend to better it! but it doesnt sound too bad to my ears

A

Anonymous

Don't run a deck off the 875 (though have a Thornes 160BC/Hadcock GH228 gathering dust somewhere) so cannot say on the phone stage.

But as to how good the 875 is on music it is excellent once you feed it with a pure power supply. (mains)

I am amazed how Onkyo have built this spec of Amp for £1000. I am talking about the component quality and circuits inside the unit.

The latest AV amps do Hi Fi just as well. You need to go up to systems with seperate PSX units, monoblock to get serious improvements, and you dont get that for a grand!
I do have a soft spot for Cyrus gear, but not for AV.

A

Anonymous

I have an Audiolab 8000a which has a very good phono stage. Was a major selling point back in the early 90's. A couple of years ago a friend lent me his Cambridge 640P phono stage. I couldn't believe the difference. It bettered the Audiolab in every single way. I went out an bought one the next day and have used one since. It is one of the great hi-fi bargains. See if Richer Sounds will let you demo.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts