How good is the DAC in the Cambridge Audio CXN V2?

n4d5

Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

How good is the DAC in the Cambridge Audio CXN V2 Streamer? compared to DAC at that price point?

I'm thinking of running my DAB radio and CD player through a DAC as they have optical and coaxial outputs.

Thanks

N

Gray

How good is the DAC in the Cambridge Audio CXN V2 Streamer?
It's got a DAC per channel and uses upsampling - which CA say improves the sound.
However, there's one CXN owner on this forum who suspects the upsampling has a negative effect (and said he wished he could turn it off).

The real value of a CXN to you would surely be as much about its streaming abilities?, since you could buy a decent standalone DAC for considerably less money (not least their own new Dacmagic 200....which, at £449 is more than enough to pay for a DAC).

rainsoothe

Indeed. The CXN is great, imo, but don't get it JUST for the DAC capabilities. Of course, most radio stations also do internet streaming nowadays, so you could just use the internet radio on the CXN. But still a waste if you're not gonna use streaming (either online or from locally stored files). Just imo.

Reactions: Gray

insider9

To add counter balance to this thread. I'm yet to hear a Wolfson DAC that I like. All personal taste of course and I've not heard the unit in question but other Wolfson "powered" devices.

So question is not really how good is it, but will OP like it. Which is impossible to tell.

D

Deleted member 116933

To add counter balance to this thread. I'm yet to hear a Wolfson DAC that I like. All personal taste of course and I've not heard the unit in question but other Wolfson "powered" devices.

So question is not really how good is it, but will OP like it. Which is impossible to tell.

The question i have is how you've heard just the chip? aren't you listening to the output stage of any given device? so how can you possibly know that it's just down to the chip? The waveform passes through a lot of things in a DAC unit before its spat out the RCA's. It doesn't go from just the chip to the RCA's.

In all honesty, it really matters not a jot what chip is in there it's about how it implemented. That same Chip is in a great number of products and many would sound absolute poo to us. There are more important things in a DAC than just the Dac chip.

Naim DAC v1, for instance, has what's on paper, not a very good chip but it's one of the best DAC's I've heard.
There just a lot more to it.

insider9

The question i have is how you've heard just the chip? aren't you listening to the output stage of any given device? so how can you possibly know that it's just down to the chip? The waveform passes through a lot of things in a DAC unit before its spat out the RCA's. It doesn't go from just the chip to the RCA's.

In all honesty, it really matters not a jot what chip is in there it's about how it implemented. That same Chip is in a great number of products and many would sound absolute poo to us. There are more important things in a DAC than just the Dac chip.

Naim DAC v1, for instance, has what's on paper, not a very good chip but it's one of the best DAC's I've heard.
There just a lot more to it.
I haven't listened to just the chip. And I appreciate that implementation matters a lot. I have my experiences and I know what I like and what I don't and what sounds natural to me and what doesn't. I beg to differ that DAC chips don't matter but not really looking to change your opinion on the subject.

Also, if most people opinion is that Naim DAC v1 doesn't have a good chip then I don't know how people come to these conclusions. I use my ears to determine what sounds good. PCM based DACs (that included Naim) as a general rule sound better than most.

D

Deleted member 116933

All well good and thats fine, i'm just trying to understand how you can tell a chip from another, I certainly can't in a blind test.

Its like trying to say that a picture was taken with a nikon full frame camera @2.8 with nikkor 50mm on April 25th 2018. It's borderline impossible.

Dac chips don't really matter and they do. They matter in how well they can do the job and they all do the job really well these days. Do they carry a sound signature of the own outside of the main unit? I hope not if they do then they're adding to the signal and they certainly shouldn't be doing that. House sound/differences will be coming from their implementation ie the circuitry around them. If you're talking ladder DAC's then yeah i get where you're coming from, they do have a flavour of their own. Tubes of the DAC world.

I was paraphrasing Naim's own words in an interview with their lead designer in 2013 when it was first released. Google Dac v1 review/interviews and you'll find it.

Ill leave it there. As its outside the remit of this discussion.

Reactions: insider9

Markmaguire

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
I have a CXN V2 running into an Audiolab 6000A amp. I prefer the DAC in the CXN to that in the Audiolab, so use the CXN in preamp mode and 6000A in power amp mode. To be honest there was not too much difference, but with my setup it just sounded a little clearer.

dcsprior

Aug 18, 2021
Visit site
The real value of a CXN to you would surely be as much about its streaming abilities?, since you could buy a decent standalone DAC for considerably less money (not least their own new Dacmagic 200....which, at £449 is more than enough to pay for a DAC).

I'm looking for a DAC with volume control, remote-control and XLR outputs. At a price up to that of the CXN I can only see one option with these three features - the Audiolab M-DAC+

One of the things I'd be plugging into it would be a Chomecast Audio, I don't think I have any need for any streaming options that that can't deliver. So if the CXN was as good a DAC (for both other sources and Chromecast) as the M-DAC+ I'd consider it, if not I wouldn't

manicm

I'm looking for a DAC with volume control, remote-control and XLR outputs. At a price up to that of the CXN I can only see one option with these three features - the Audiolab M-DAC+

One of the things I'd be plugging into it would be a Chomecast Audio, I don't think I have any need for any streaming options that that can't deliver. So if the CXN was as good a DAC (for both other sources and Chromecast) as the M-DAC+ I'd consider it, if not I wouldn't

I would still get a one box streamer instead. Getting an expensive DAC for a Chromecast dongle seems like taking a road hammer to nail.

Reactions: Tinman1952

When you say ‘remote control’ do you mean a traditional wand, or would you use an app with a phone or tablet? That’s how many streamers are used these days.

Perhaps you’re after a preamp, in effect. Maybe it would help if we knew the rest of the system? Are you wanting new, or would you consider used?

Welcome to the forum!

Reactions: Al ears

Tinman1952

SMSL M400 ?
SMSL SU-9 ?

dcsprior

Aug 18, 2021
Visit site
Apart from remote, the CA Dacmagic 200 fits your DAC requirements.

(Also, maybe you're aware, but as far as I know the V2 CXN has Chromecast built-in).

Yeah, the remote (doesn't need to come with one, but needs to be able to respond to one) is a must-have

I would still get a one box streamer instead. Getting an expensive DAC for a Chromecast dongle seems like taking a road hammer to nail.

As well as the chromecast audio, it also needs to take digital audio from a TV and from a CD/DVD player and provide volume adjustment (as there'll not be any further preamp between it and a pair of active speakers)

When you say ‘remote control’ do you mean a traditional wand, or would you use an app with a phone or tablet? That’s how many streamers are used these days.

I would want something that could be controlled by my Logitech Harmony Elite. Though this may not limit it to a traditional IR remote (it can control my Fire Stick and PS3 by bluetooth) or not.

Perhaps you’re after a preamp, in effect. Maybe it would help if we knew the rest of the system?

My current system is:
  • Yamaha CD-N500 CD Player (with some streaming capabilities)
  • Denon DAP-2500 Digital Preamp
  • Chromecast Audio
  • Behringer B3031A active monitors
  • A ~10 year old Toshiba 42" TV which will be replaced at some point in the not too distant future
  • Chromecast [video]
  • Amazon Fire TV Stick 4k
  • Sony PS3 which these days only gets used for DVD/Blu Ray playback
My plan is to split this into two, in my home office (where I'm spending a lot more time since Covid) would go:
  • the CD player (which rarely gets used in the living room)
  • the digital pre-amp
  • another Chromecast Audio that I have waiting for this purpose
  • a turntable (for now my existing Technics SL-J1 that I've not been able to find a home for in the living room since moving house 3 years ago)
  • whatever power amp I can pick up on eBay. Possibly a Linn LK280 as there's plenty of them about and it has balanced inputs.
  • speakers that can work acceptably despite being wall-mounted. Probably the JBL Control One Pro
Then down in the living room I'd need:
  • A DAC to serve on pre-amp duties (won't need analogue inputs like I did before when I had the turntable)
  • The existing active speakers, Chromecast Audio, TV, Chromecast {video] & Fire TV
  • Something to play CDs / DVDs / Blu Rays. I can put off deciding what as I have the PS3 for now (indeed it may be the answer I settle on for the longer-term is a newer generation Playstation)
Are you wanting new, or would you consider used?

I'd consider used if there was enough of a saving to justify the slight risk that brings in terms of lack of warranty, etc. In my existing kit my digital preamp and turntable were both bought used.

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks!

SMSL M400 ?
SMSL SU-9 ?

Do they have volume control? SMSL's product page for them doesn't include the word "volume" or "variable"

dcsprior

Aug 18, 2021
Visit site
They do….that’s why I suggested them…..🙄
As well as the supplied remote my SMSL M400 works fine with my Logitech Harmony remote (recognised automatically by MyHarmony software ) 👍

Thanks.

The SMSL SU-9 would be ruled out by only having 2 non-USB inputs and I need 3: TV, Chromecast Audio, blu-ray player (would be taking audio for DVD / Blu-Ray via the TV, but would want it to be able to go direct so could play CDs with TV off)

The SMSL M400 may suit with some digital interface conversion. I'll do some researching and thinking

EDIT: in fact, if whatever my next TV is has 4 HDMI connections so I can spare one for output duties AND whatever I buy for BD/DVD/CD playback has a coaxial digital output, I wouldn't need any conversion.

Last edited:

Tinman1952

Understood. The SMSL M400 does also have an I2S input (on HDMI) which I currently use to play just SACDs from my Sony bluray player. But I had to buy an HDMI audio splitter box which as well as HDMI, toslink and coaxial outputs had an I2S output…and it cost £52 😕 Just another option for you to consider…..

• the digital pre-amp
  • another Chromecast Audio that I have waiting for this purpose
  • a turntable (for now my existing Technics SL-J1 that I've not been able to find a home for in the living room since moving house 3 years ago)
  • whatever power amp I can pick up on eBay. Possibly a Linn LK280 as there's plenty of them about and it has balanced inputs.
As you mention the Linn power amp, you might consider an early Linn Akurate DSM which is streamer, DAC, preamp, with balanced outputs and has a phono board to handle your Technics. Just a thought, for around a grand to £1500 secondhand.

dcsprior

Aug 18, 2021
Visit site
As you mention the Linn power amp, you might consider an early Linn Akurate DSM which is streamer, DAC, preamp, with balanced outputs and has a phono board to handle your Technics. Just a thought, for around a grand to £1500 secondhand.

Thanks, it looks like a nice bit of kit.

But LK280 + DAP-2500 + Chromecast Audio would be about £250 + £0 + £0 ('cos I already have the last two), which is a lot less than £1500 :)

Admittedly that'd mean the Denon could stay downstairs, saving myself ~£800 for a new DAC or DAC/Streamer there, but that's still £450 more.

Also, whatever I decide on, I'll need to justify the expenditure domestically. I'm hoping that by tying it up with us re-doing our living room I'll be able to use an argument that I'll be replacing the Denon with something smaller and easier to accommodate in whatever we do... leaving the Denon in place would destroy that argument :D

dcsprior

Aug 18, 2021
Visit site
Basically before I became aware of the CXN I thought I knew what I wanted to do, and it involved the M-DAC+

Then the CXN made me wonder if I should instead consider that. So does anyone know how the CXN compares in terms of it's performance as a DAC to standalone DACs (in particular the M-DAC+ and possibly the SMSL M400 that'sentioned above)? When I googled, this was about the only promising-looking result

Tinman1952

Basically before I became aware of the CXN I thought I knew what I wanted to do, and it involved the M-DAC+

Then the CXN made me wonder if I should instead consider that. So does anyone know how the CXN compares in terms of it's performance as a DAC to standalone DACs (in particular the M-DAC+ and possibly the SMSL M400 that'sentioned above)? When I googled, this was about the only promising-looking result
You have to remember that all products are made to a maximum cost. The CXN is a full-size component which is a network streamer with a large colour display…..and a built in DAC. Think how the money has been spent on the various parts. Then compare it to a stand alone DAC in a smaller case where the money has just gone on the DAC and quality internal components. Where do you think the best value is..? 🙂

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
Njc audio's reference dac is the best bang for buck dac I've had the pleasure to hear and own ....seriously good...it's made up my mind to ditch my naim superuniti and move away from the "all in one" system, also last week i took a trip down to Liverpool to pick up a used Exposure 3010s2d...the seller had it paired up with a pair of ATC scm19 speakers and the front end was a Cambridge audio cxn v1 steamer....I know that the speakers and amp were quality items but his system just didn't sound very together at all....I'm putting it down to that Cambridge streamer..I took a punt on the amp and took up the road, plugged in my dac and pmc twenty 21's and it sounds sublime...I'm thinking you need a pretty decent front end with the exposure amp and those atc scm19 's.....which to me seems like the Cambridge cxn streamers are built towards the budget end of the market and maybe they don't have the headroom that a good stand alone dac could offer.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 160668

I've only skimmed this thread so here goes.

CXN dac stage is great imo. But its built to be an streamer, so seems silly to buy it only for the dac element.

Note a CXN v1 and V2 are extremely similar and contain the same dual Wolfson arrangement. Therefore same DACs and same sound.

Depending if you were considering buying a new CXN v2 the for a little more you can buy a "refurb" 851N, the big bro which stomps all over the CXN in every aspect. The DAC stage in this is absolutely excellent - there is little to separate the 851N from my highly modified Joilda Glass valve DAC.

NB: I've had CXN and now have 851N.

Edit to my post: Having just saw the comment above properly I totally disagree that CXNs are built for the budget market. They sound great for the cash. But as stated the big bro is a huge leap up from that - it is in fact spec'd with the same DAC arrangement as the 851D which they've essentially added a streamer stage to. Go figure.

Last edited by a moderator:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts