How good is Arcam CD73t now?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Guys

I have been the happy owner of an Arcam CD73t for a few years now, but the lack of remote standby capabilities is now really annoying me.I'm pretty happy with the sound so you may say that i don't necessarily need a change/upgrade but I was just wondering, how good is the Arcam CD73t compared to budget CD players of today, say anything up to £500. Anybody any comparisons/recommendations bearing in mind my below setup. Budget would be up to £500,so maybe it would not be an upgrade at all without spending a considerable amount more.

I do have a Marantz CD73 Mk2 at home but am guessing that it won't come close to the sound of the Arcam, although i will test it anyway.

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Whenever I broach this subject in HiFi shops they tell me that i'd need to spend considerably more than the £400 it cost new for my CD72t (IIRC) - but then they would say that :)

Still I think the constant "improvement" of HiFi year on year is perhaps overrated.

NAD "1999" era CD to 2005ish CD72T was a marginal jump in SQ (back to back test). My 8000a is 20 years older than the NAD c340 it replaced yet blew it away in terms of openness, clarity and airy treble.

The latest greatest is sometimes overrated, provided the CDP is recent and has a decent DAC I dont see it being outperformed by something brand new for the same price.....though I was tempted by a Rega Apollo :)

You could get an end of line cyrus 8 for £500 not long ago, i'm sure. Or the previous generation CA 840 CDP which can even serve as a good DAC too I think.

A

Anonymous

You could try a DacMagic or MA V-DAC but I'm very tempted to suggest that it'll only be a small improvement, possibly just different.

A

Anonymous

Cheers, i think your right. Might just be worth waiting for funds for Cyrus CD6SE or 2nd Hand CD8X and get over my laziness!

A

Anonymous

Yeah I was wondering how it would compare to the NAD C545.

A

Anonymous

Yeah, i tried the Marantz CD73 for 10 mins and it's now back in the cellar already!

A

Anonymous

Hi

I'm also the owner of an Arcan cd73T and very happy with it. It attached to a Roksan Kandy L111 amp and Mission 780SE speakers. With regards to the standby problem. I bought a Harmony remote and it seemed that when I programmed the cd into it I'm now able to put the CD player into standby, using the Harmony remote. This might be a cheaper solution for you than a new CDP, specially if you are happy with the current sound.

Jay

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
I think the Arcam CD73 is still excellent and not really overshadowed by anything new below c£500-600 (retail prices).

I wonder what the big issue is with remote standby - i dont use standby myself and am keen to understand what is the huge advantage of using it ?

I tend to just turn off when not in use and then turn on about 30 mins or so before i plan to use it. Although my listening times are quite routine as i generally have to wait until the kids are asleep during the week.

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
crusaderlord:I think the Arcam CD73 is still excellent and not really overshadowed by anything new below c£500-600 (retail prices).

I wonder what the big issue is with remote standby - i dont use standby myself and am keen to understand what is the huge advantage of using it ?

I tend to just turn off when not in use and then turn on about 30 mins or so before i plan to use it. Although my listening times are quite routine as i generally have to wait until the kids are asleep during the week.I couldnt agree with you more on this Crusaderlord !

A

Anonymous

Nice one, cheers for that. Does it have to be a particular model no of Harmony remote? Will the 515 support it?

Thanks

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

The Arcam cd73t is good, but I think the creek evo beats it - more open and alive, certaintly the rega apollo beats it. I a/b against the cambridge audio 640c v2 and thought the arcam was better on voices, classical and jazz but on pop and fast music I found the Arcam lacked sparkle and drive compared to the cambridge audio 640c v2. I have been hearing good things about the new NADs 545 too. When I compared it to the consonance cd120 linear, the consonance was way more musical and detailed - the Arcam had a more solid bass though. My 20c worth.

Cheers,

Steve.

chiefbrody:Guys I have been the happy owner of an Arcam CD73t for a few years now, but the lack of remote standby capabilities is now really annoying me.I'm pretty happy with the sound so you may say that i don't necessarily need a change/upgrade but I was just wondering, how good is the Arcam CD73t compared to budget CD players of today, say anything up to £500. Anybody any comparisons/recommendations bearing in mind my below setup. Budget would be up to £500,so maybe it would not be an upgrade at all without spending a considerable amount more. I do have a Marantz CD73 Mk2 at home but am guessing that it won't come close to the sound of the Arcam, although i will test it anyway. Cheers

Hi Chiefy

I certainly love my CD73T. In terms of value for money, and gain a significant upgrade in sound, you need to be looking at Cyrus 6S, or one of the mid-priced Cambridge players like the 740 or 8 series V2.

Personally I love the Exposure 2010s which can be picked up for around 500 squid mark.

Have you considered using the Arcam upgrade? I think it costs around £500 to have the 73 upgraded to a CD 192.

A

Anonymous

Cheers for all the feedback guys. I have decided to just leave it for now. Probably just a case of upgraditis. Been listening a lot over the last few days and am still very happy with the sound. Think it's a very good match with my amp, with it being slightly warm so gonna keep it for a while now.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts