How does the W2000 compare with W3000?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just picked up the latest issue and read the supertest. Just wondered how you thought your favourite 40" from 2006 the W2000 stacks up against the new model. It can be picked up for £850 now so is this still worth considering at this price?

Thanks

Macca

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi Macca,

The W2000 remains a great set, but it can't match either the performance or specification (eg 24fps 1080p handling) of the next-generation sets. This year's models - from Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, Samsung and others - have really raised the bar for flatscreen performance: if you can stretch to one of the newer sets, you'd have a more futureproof, flexible and enjoyable TV.

brianmcr

Sep 14, 2007
Visit site
But is it really worth the extra £600 or so premium????

I'm think of going for the W2000, think it's a good price at £839 delivered.

A

Anonymous

Mate you'd be much better off with the Panasonic TH-42PX70 which is avialable on-line for £750 from Dixons including delivery.

I'd go for that over the Sony in an instant.

Get onto www.kelkoo.co.uk and you'll be able to find them all for much much better prices than usual.

A

Anonymous

Damn damn damn & blast!

Was hoping the 3000 was going to fall short of the 2000 model as my budget is going to have to go up!

Can't convince her who must be obeyed to go 42", so am now really in a state of confusion as don't really want to have to spend the extra for the 3000 unless I really have to & the decision makes sense.

Any views???

Matt

A

Anonymous

Go for the Sony W2000 at that price. Had it a few months and its stunning on sd,hd, and out of this world with a ps3. I paid £1050 , they reviewed it at £2000 last year and gave it product of the year! I would be amazed if the new 1080p models from the main men(other than Samsung) weren't around the £2000 bracket. Only last month in their best buys mag did they say they strggled to find a single factor in the against column for this set. As with all media they want to sell copies and get you researching.They've got no interest in the working class guy.

brianmcr

Sep 14, 2007
Visit site
I agree, I'm going to go for the W2000, the W3000 can't be £600 to £700 better, I could buy another
W2000 for the bedroom for a £200 more.

A

Anonymous

Think that is where I got to in my head last night also.

In 4 years time things will have changed dramatically & by not spending the extra on the 3000 I'm in a stronger position to justify to 'her who must be obeyed' about an upgrade ;-)

Will tee it up to her by saying I'm buying the budget model

A

Anonymous

I am having the 40w2000 delivered tomorrow and have been quite interested to read the new reviews for the 40w3000 of which little seems to be made of its 24fps support. This will be my first lcd and HD tv and to be honest when i read reviews i want to know what the bets tv for me is some reviews have gone into too much detail about blacks and picture quality, too be honest in show rooms they don't look that different, but failed to mention bluray judder if no 24fps support. Not sure if this is a problem with HD DVD but as i only have a PS3 not too fused. I have a seven day window to return this tv how much of an issue is 24fps, seems slow as a pc gamer, should i swap for the Toshiba 42x3030 for the same price if i notice the judder too much. The only HD source i have t present is the PS3, not convinced a new sky box plus £10 a month for 12 channels is worth it.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="jambilino"]
Only last month in their best buys mag did they say they strggled to find a single factor in the against column for this set. As with all media they want to sell copies and get you researching.They've got no interest in the working class guy.

[/quote]

Oh please.... Yes, we want to sell magazines, but so you all buy THE BEST THERE IS TO BUY AT THE TIME.

When the last issues went to press, the W2000 remained the best set you can buy at that price. However, an entire new generation of sets has come out that are better. That's not our fault, but incredibly welcome progress in one market.

There are other areas of our Buyer's Guide where the best buys stay the same for years on end, because nothing better has come along in the meantime - again, they'll only get changed when radically better products (for the money) come along.

We're on your side, believe me... That's why we're not afraid to say some products - even from the biggest manufacturers around - aren't up to scratch or worth anyone's money.

A

Anonymous

I have had the W2000 since April and think it is better than mosst similar priced/spec tv's. However, one reason I bought it was it's ability to handle 1080p signals, thinking I was getting some sort of future proofing. The other main reason I bought it was the rave reviews it recieved in the mag, I live in a country where the shops are few and very unhelpful and the chance of going into one and auditioning any electronic item is just not going to happen, so I rely quite heavily on what I read.

I realise that What Hi-Fi is not responsible for new technologies that are around the corner, but I have to admit to being a little annoyed that I have spent 1700 pounds (we also don't get the good prices or offers you get in the UK) on the W2000, and roughly a year after the launch of this product, I find the futre proofing I thought i was getting is'nt really there.

I mean, this 24fps thing, exactly what is it? why is it only now with the realease of various HD formats are we hearing it mentioned? why was this never an issue with SD DVD's, and finally does it make that much difference?

colint

Aug 4, 2007
Visit site
I went with the 40w2000 at £905, I've looked at both and the newer set is definitely better, but not £700 better. I actually disagree with Claires point about future proofing (sort of), the 2000 was a great buy at £1400, it's phenominal at £900. If you buy the new set at £1600, what will it cost in 2 - 3 years ? £1000 ? The best way to future proof is to take advantage of the slightly older, dramatically cheaper set, and be able to upgrade every few years. Yes you'll be a couple of years behind the top end, but you're still getting fantastic kit at a fraction of the cost.

brianmcr

Sep 14, 2007
Visit site
Have ordered the 40W2000 from digital direct for £838 including delivery. Due to receive it Saturday or Sunday, will leave a post on how I get on and what I think of it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts