How does the Cyrus 8 SE sound with some hours on it?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Oh, and I agree with you about the knobs. Not about the width though
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

I'v had mine for 5 days now, started listning to it proper yesterday after leaving it playing for 3 days. Its simply brilliant, miles ahead of my old MF A3.5. Plugged in a my dads MF CD5.5 which I love(d), and I just cant enjoy it now I'v heard the 8 SEs presentation of music. Vocals especially, I am impressed with - so smooth and real sounding like I have never heard in this price range.

Although, I must admit that I have also been having a few problems with CDs being read. I have tried about 20 discs over the past few days, 8 of which I have to wait for them to be ejected with 'Disc Error' then re-insert them before they will play. It wont play 1 disc full stop and its absolutley mint. I have tried a few CD-Rs and had no problems with those. I have spoke to Cyrus and they seemed supprised to hear that I had these issues as mine was one of the 'new batch' and shouldnt have the probs that the early ones had. Im giving it another few days to see if anything changes.

Overall though, sonically its brilliant, cant fault it at all, feels like exceptional value for money (especially gettin 10% off!)

A

Anonymous

ffiish:I'm beginning to wonder whether the people propagating these stories are:a) employees of a rival;b) people with some random aversion to the company or its products;c) people who are only playing counterfeit and copied discs;d) cack-handed at putting CDs in; or
e) a combination of the above.

Nonsense. I can only speak for myself but NONE of your list above applies.

To refresh; I bought a CD8se 17 July and soon found it to be faulty, it having disc load failures due to disc diameter, even though the discs conformed to Red-Book standard. The details of which you will probably already have read here. 4 August I returned to my dealer to exchange the faulty unit for a new replacement, (in the box I included a couple of my discs for Cyrus to experiment with when they got the unit back - Incidentally, I haven't yet had those discs returned, so I need to chase them up). It didn't take long for Cyrus to CONFIRM my diagnosis of the problems with the first unit.

I got the replacement unit home to find that it too was faulty! Not only did it have the precise same disc load issue as the first unit due to disc diameter, it also had another issue whereby the unit would not accept a disc, displaying "Disk error" and ejecting every single one without exception!

Cyrus agreed to exchange the unit back for the original unit which had now been repaired. A new transport mechanism had been fitted, the unit tested, and was claimed to be WORKING PERFECTLY. The exchange was done via courier at their expense 7 August. Don't forget I'd already made TWO round trips of 140 miles to my dealer, and with fuel prices the way they are, it's cost me a lot of money to deal with this, not to mention my time, effort and inconvenience!

Can you imagine my dismay upon trying the "repaired" and "working perfectly" unit, to find that it couldn't play CD-R's? I had Cyrus collect the unit and took a refund from the dealer! Yes, Cyrus were apologetic, I should think so too, don't you?

Now, it's VERY clear to me that Cyrus has operational issues at the factory that would allow such a run of events. If these units are passing through the test procedures and finding their way to end-users, then there HAS to be something seriously wrong with their test procedures? However, Clare Newsome has posted this Stop press at the bottom of page 5. If there ARE fixes being implemented, then clearly there WERE issues that required fixing! Of course Cyrus will have prepared for a visit by What Hi*Fi staff. I hope it means that Cyrus have tightened up their operation.

This CD player is £1100, that's a LOT of money. For that kind of money I expect the CD player to load and play virtually every disc, and I don't believe I'm expecting too much. I also expect a VERY high quality of service from the manufacturer, again when you're spending this kind of money that is not asking too much in my opinion.

Believe me, I really DO have great admiration for Cyrus. They've spent a lot of time, effort and money to design their own high quality transport mechanism for audio CD replay. It's OBVIOUS when listening to the 8se that this effort has been repaid with a wonderful sounding product. Now if they can just iron out the operational issues at the factory, all will be well
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

extralongmatches:I have tried about 20 discs over the past few days, 8 of which I have to wait for them to be ejected with 'Disc Error' then re-insert them before they will play. It wont play 1 disc full stop and its absolutley mint. I have spoke to Cyrus and they seemed supprised to hear that I had these issues as mine was one of the 'new batch' and shouldnt have the probs that the early ones had.
Oh dear, the same old issues continue (sigh).

Im giving it another few days to see if anything changes.
£1100 on a CD player that won't load and play 30% of your discs first time. Nothing is going to change by itself. Don't wait, get back to Cyrus and demand it be dealt with immediately.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts