How does the Cyrus 8 SE sound with some hours on it?

A

Anonymous

There's a huge thread a few down from this one about them not working with certain cd's......

A

Anonymous

Octopo:There's a huge thread a few down from this one about them not working with certain cd's......

Doesnt mean the player doesnt sound the business just because of the disc reading issue people are having though Octopo.

Dont think you will be disopointed Mike, everyone i speak to says the 8se is a beautiful sounding machine

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
I dont think I will be disappointed for this reason, this is the first time when all of the major hi fi mags have given this piece 5 stars. I dont know if theres political reviews between some of the major holdings but when all give this one glowing reviews it says something. I have a 8X with psx would love to know how much more detailed it is with the psx etc.

A

Anonymous

Yes, apart from this little niggle that seems to affect some people it sounds great. I can't wait to hear one, as you say the reviews are glowing. I can't believe though all these tests were conducted by mags etc but this issue wasn't raised once?ÿ

A

Anonymous

Eh? Everybody on this thread has said they haven't heard one?

A

Anonymous

Octopo:Yes, apart from this little niggle that seems to affect some people it sounds great. I can't wait to hear one, e?

Wow, Octopo, a classic !!

A

Anonymous

Octopo:Eh? Everybody on this thread has said they haven't heard one?

Reminds me of this if you substitute 'heard the 8 SEs' for 'seen the eyes '

Percy: You know, they do say that the Infanta's eyes are more beautiful
than the famous Stone of Galveston.

Edmund: Mm! ... What?

Percy: The famous Stone of Galveston, My Lord.

Edmund: And what's that, exactly?

Percy: Well, it's a famous blue stone, and it comes ... from Galveston.

Edmund: I see. And what about it?

Percy: Well, My Lord, the Infanta's eyes are bluer than it, for a start.

Edmund: I see. And have you ever seen this stone?

Percy: (nods) No, not as such, My Lord, but I know a couple of
people who have, and they say it's very very blue indeed.

Edmund: And have these people seen the Infanta's eyes?

Percy: No, I shouldn't think so, My Lord.

Edmund: And neither have you, presumably.

Percy: No, My Lord.

Edmund: So, what you're telling me, Percy, is that something you have never
seen is slightly less blue than something else you have never seen.

Percy: (finally begins to grasp) Yes, My Lord.

A

Anonymous

andyb190:
Octopo:Yes, apart from this little niggle that seems to affect some people it sounds great. I can't wait to hear one, e?

Wow, Octopo, a classic !!

What do you mean? I've heard they are great, but I've not heard them.

A

Anonymous

I thought it ironic (as in the Blackadder quote) that a thread that long with that title didn't have a single post from anyone who had heard them.

A

Anonymous

I love mine - terrific sound, bags of energy, as clear as a bell, and reinvigorating my CD collection. At the same time, very smooth when it wants to be, e.g. when the wife puts on Norah Jones - the vocals sound beautiful.

Oh, and I've not had a single disc error, except once when I put in a disc which had a long hair stuck to the playing surface. I'm beginning to wonder whether the people propagating these stories are:

a) employees of a rival;

b) people with some random aversion to the company or its products;

c) people who are only playing counterfeit and copied discs;

d) cack-handed at putting CDs in; or

e) a combination of the above.

That, or the classical CD labels I'm playing produce better quality CDs than the manufacturers played by the complainants.

John Duncan

f) there actually is a 'problem', and you are at the lower end of the normal curve of those experiencing it.

However, Cyrus themselves have stated that the players have been designed to be intolerant of less-than-perfect discs.

A

Anonymous

It has been a very vocal minority who have reported problems.

Cyrus's statement said, iirc, that the system is optimised for discs in better condition, not deliberately intolerant of damaged discs - there is a substantial difference (your spin on it is just the sort of comment that provoked my post above). Having looked at the thread, that was a second hand report in itself by someone who didn't trust his own memory!

John Duncan

ffiish:
It has been a very vocal minority who have reported problems.

Cyrus's statement said, iirc, that the system is optimised for discs in better condition, not deliberately intolerant of damaged discs - there is a substantial difference (your spin on it is just the sort of comment that provoked my post above). Having looked at the thread, that was a second hand report in itself by someone who didn't trust his own memory!

a) I find the difference between "optimised for good discs" and "less tolerant of bad discs" less substantial than you and b) the suggestion that people complaining of disc problems somehow have an anti-Cyrus agenda is to me a little.......disturbing

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Stop press - we've talked to Cyrus at some depth (and even been to see some players being made) and will be posting up a story shortly.

But in brief, it seems far less of an issue than you'd think from the coverage it's got (in terms of the actual number of players potentially affected), and there is/are fixes already being implemented in the new models coming off the production line. And an easy firmware upgrade for the tiny numbers of players likely to be affected. More shortly...

John Duncan

So it *is* a problem then?
emotion-5.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Nope, it's a potential problem with a batch from the first production run (which, incidentally, is the run our three samples and all the other magazine review models came from). More soon - give us a chance to bloomin' write the thing!

John Duncan

Will you retest? I know I'm playing devil's advocate here but I'm slightly disappointed by this - from what has been said so far about these players, it seems that Cyrus got something absolutely right, and personally I'd rather they stuck with it than deal with the odd minority of poorly-made or -treated discs. If I spent a grand on a player that wouldn't play Moving Pictures, I'd sure as hell buy another copy of the disc if the sonic benefits were as good as is being said, rather than have Cyrus dicking about with the software to fix a problem with 5% of my disks. It almost raises the question as to where we would be if manufacturers hadn't been 'deoptimising' their players for the last 20 years.........

Now if only they would build full-width players with great knobs.

A

Anonymous

Maybe I'm unusual, but if I was to encounter a problem with my player, would I mention it? Yes, of course I would. Would I go on and on in derogatory terms? No.

So far on this forum we've had about 5 people who have had problems with the player (most of whom have taken a sensible approach to posting), plus a load of bile from people who haven't even touched the player, let alone played it, or bought it. Cyrus claim to have shipped >1000 units. If the problems were widespread, I would expect forums like this one, which are frequented by dealers as well as consumers, to be swamped. As it is, they are not. Therefore pondering whether the few people who are going on and on have an agenda doesn't seem too disturbing to me.

As for the semantic difference, we'll have to agree to disagree - to me, your version is a prime example of doublespeak; intentionally disparaging when the truth is somewhat different. Gordon Brown could perhaps do with your services at the moment.

Anyway, my player works, and works better than anything else I've heard at the price. If it stops working I'll be sure to let you know.

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:I wasn't aware of having been disparaging about it, as my subsequent post might have made clear - I personally think that whatever they've done is to be encouraged, not pilloried.

I hadn't read that when I posted, and when I did I did rethink the post I'd just made. Apologies if my words sounded strong, I just found the tone to be in the manner of some of the other posts on the subject.

Must do some proper work now...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts