how does the arcam movie 5.1 compare to seperates - any owners comments

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I’m really interested in people’s thoughts on both the home cinema properties and stereo properties of this machine, obviously dedicated separates would sound better but how much would you have to spend on a separates to better its quality. For example is the processing power of the home cinema system as good as a £400, £500, £600 separates amp etc? How much are you sacrificing in terms of quality for convenience? I would be keen to hear from any owners of the above.

A

Anonymous

just thought would bump this back to the top - i'd be very keen to hear from anyone that has done a comparison between this and seprates and how big the compromise is - i know this is kind of a subjective opinion but hoped someone could help.

A

Anonymous

Well I think there is considerably more to it than pounds-pounds equivelance, I'm guessing what your asking is a 600 note surround amp would sound as good in stereo as, say, a 400 note dedicated stereo amp.

For one thing, amplifiers such as the audiolab 8000x7 (7 channel power amp) allow you to bridge some of outputs together and get more power to the two front channels. Others are internally monoblocked, like a tag maclaren bit of kit I was looking at who's model I forget.

I guess what it comes down to, is how much the penalty of having so much extra gumph in your box is dealt with. If you're comparing an all in one arrangement, player, decoder and an integrated 5.1 channel amp to separates... well there is any kind of depth you can go to, right up to Bluray drive and decoder, multichannel DAC and pre-amp to 10 monoblocks and a sub. Hell even 15 monoblocks if your speakers are tri-wirable;) Just too many variables.

I don't have any experience with the particular amp you mention, or really know exactly what it is for that matter though.

A

Anonymous

I think thats going to the extreme with the examples of what a separate system could offer (which would be better than the Solo), and not really answering anything?!I've not heard the Solo Movie, but i think wht hifi said the Solo music lots very little when compared to a similar priced separates system. I'd guess the Movie would be a similar case. Not sure if there's been a dedicated review in what hifi (and i'm not into reading every single magazine under the sun) which would tell you. [quote user="Mr_Poletski"]Well I think there is considerably more to it than pounds-pounds equivelance, I'm guessing what your asking is a 600 note surround amp would sound as good in stereo as, say, a 400 note dedicated stereo amp.

For one thing, amplifiers such as the audiolab 8000x7 (7 channel power amp) allow you to bridge some of outputs together and get more power to the two front channels. Others are internally monoblocked, like a tag maclaren bit of kit I was looking at who's model I forget.

I guess what it comes down to, is how much the penalty of having so much extra gumph in your box is dealt with. If you're comparing an all in one arrangement, player, decoder and an integrated 5.1 channel amp to separates... well there is any kind of depth you can go to, right up to Bluray drive and decoder, multichannel DAC and pre-amp to 10 monoblocks and a sub. Hell even 15 monoblocks if your speakers are tri-wirable;) Just too many variables.

I don't have any experience with the particular amp you mention, or really know exactly what it is for that matter though.[/quote]

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
WHF did a review of the Solo Movie 5.1 back in December 2007 - it won the group test it was in, but then this was based around one box solutions. I don't think there is really an answer to this other than, if you spent the equivalent money on a separates system, you could definitely get better sound. However, deciding which products give a better sound is obviously going to be a very subjective matter.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts