How do you rate this configuration

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm in the process of buying an average priced hi-fi system. I'm going mad with all the products of so many brands.

After some reading I've decided to go for an audition for a system composed of CambrigeAudio 740A + 740C and Monitor Audio Silver RS6 speakers. They 're all in the budget.

What do you think? Do I will appreciate improvements in audio (2-channel) compared to my actual system (Yamaha AVR650 and Kef KHT5005 speaker set) .

I love my system as a home theater system, but not 100% happy with stereo playback.

I could make the effort to reach to the CA 840A, but would be the MonitorAudio RS6 worth this amp?

Are the RS8 worth the extra money?

Which rating gave WHF to the CambridgeAudio components?

Thanks in advance.

Tesler

Oct 2, 2007
Visit site
if I may be so bold I'd like to make a comment about the 740a. I've not heard the 740c CD player or the MA speakers but I can vouch for the amp, being as though I have one in another room in the House.

The 740a is very detailed and has a crisp open top end and lovely warm bass which are 2 of it's good points. There does however seem to be a little restraint in the upper mid frequencies, this is where it struggles a bit. Also, you seem to have to turn it up a fair bit to get a lot of volume out of it, the volume control is heavily weighted.

The 740a works well with my Marantz CD63se CD player but is too laid back when playing sound from my Cambridge Audio DVD55 DVD player or sound from my Humax F2-FOX T freeview box

If you just want to play CD's through it that's fine, but audition it carefully and take your time, you will either love it or hate it. I sometimes love it and sometimes I hate it. You decide when you audition it!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="smo"]
Hi all,

I'm in the process of buying an average priced hi-fi system. I'm going mad with all the products of so many brands.

After some reading I've decided to go for an audition for a system composed of CambrigeAudio 740A + 740C and Monitor Audio Silver RS6 speakers. They 're all in the budget.

What do you think? Do I will appreciate improvements in audio (2-channel) compared to my actual system (Yamaha AVR650 and Kef KHT5005 speaker set) .

I love my system as a home theater system, but not 100% happy with stereo playback.

I could make the effort to reach to the CA 840A, but would be the MonitorAudio RS6 worth this amp?

Are the RS8 worth the extra money?

Which rating gave WHF to the CambridgeAudio components?

Thanks in advance.

[/quote]

It depends on what kind of a sound you like and dont buy just on the back of reviews. There's great Hifi out there other than the normal mainstream options as good as they may be. Go to a few dealers if you spend that much or at least insist on a home trial with RS if you choose the stuff mentioned.

A

Anonymous

Go and audition to several setup and ask dealers advice. For that budget there are loads of really different sounding stuff available.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I have the 840a with RS6s. These speakers are definitely good enough for the amp (which is great by the way and definitely worth the extra). From what I've heard, the RS8s are only worth paying the extra if you have a large room - although the 6s will fill most rooms.

A

Anonymous

Thanks.

All your answers are much appreciated.

I'm going for an audition today, and the dealer wants me to try the Primare i21 with its sibling CD player. I'll also try the Cambridge Audio 6x series (amp and CD). And for speakers I'll audition the MA-RS6 and B&W 684 speakers.

I'll give a chance to the Primare because the dealer told me that for the price of the CA-840A the Primare was a better option.

What do you think about that?

There are very few hi-fi stores here where I live.... and it hasn't all the stuff I'll like to try.

Just one more question: Has anybody given a listen to KEF XQ30. If they are worth the money they cost I'd even buy them without a try just because they look georgeous!

Thanks.

John Duncan

With the sort of budget you're talking about, you have lots of options here - I have found the Primare amp to be substantially better than the Cambridge (with a 640c source), but haven't heard the 840c CD player so can't say.

You should, however, consider trying the 640c (v2) player with the upmarket amplification - I think you would be surprised just how good it is, and you may find no need to spend the extra, saving you a lot of money for some high end speakers, and there are plenty of those around the price of the XQ30 - I'd look at PMC and AVI from experience and Totem, Spendor and Wilson Benesch from lustful speculation............

A

Anonymous

[quote user="smo"]

I'll give a chance to the Primare because the dealer told me that for the price of the CA-840A the Primare was a better option.

Just one more question: Has anybody given a listen to KEF XQ30. If they are worth the money they cost I'd even buy them without a try just because they look georgeous!

[/quote]

I've heard the CA 840A and wasn't impressed...there's much better out there for the price. Definitely check out the Primare combo.

As for the KEF XQ30...I was VERY impressed with what I heard when I auditioned them a few months ago. There's a lot of competition in that price range, but the KEFs are very, very good speakers.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="smo"]
Thanks.

All your answers are much appreciated.

I'm going for an audition today, and the dealer wants me to try the Primare i21 with its sibling CD player. I'll also try the Cambridge Audio 6x series (amp and CD). And for speakers I'll audition the MA-RS6 and B&W 684 speakers.

What do you think about that?

There are very few hi-fi stores here where I live.... and it hasn't all the stuff I'll like to try.

Thanks.

[/quote]
Hi smo,
My experience is probably relevent here - I had a couple of CA840A's and loved the sound they made. Had a couple of 740A's too and they too sounded good, but the 840A def beats it, but whether by £250 only you can decide.
Anyway - after the 840A I needed a replacement. A local dealer suggested Primare I21 and I went in for a demo. Listened to Arcam, Primare and Rotel. Like you the dealer said the Primare would be much better than the 840. Not. The dealer encouraged me to try the I21 at home because the demo room wasn't great. It was better at home, but no 840a beater in my honest opinion.
I ended up getting a 2nd hand MF A3.5 which I am totally chuffed with. I know this 'cos the temptation to move speakers about and generally twiddle things has stopped since getting the A3.5!
The 840A sounds cracking though - different kettle of fish to the 640a etc. I had a few problems though which meant it had to go.The Primare had a lovely top end but woolly and vague bottom end which puts the dampers on jazz and stuff as the double bass disappears into nothingness.

A

Anonymous

Thanks again.

Well, as I said later, I've had the audition of the hardware mentioned above.

I've started listening to an Atoll (french brand) amp+CD combo. The dealer said it had better quality than the CA640 combo. Those pieces are arround 600?. I've auditioned with B&W 684. It was a bad start. Didn't like the sound at all. After a few tracks, we've changed to the Primare i21 and its sibling CD player. Quite a big step forward!

Then we've changed to the RS6 speakers. I liked their sound more than the one produced by the B&W684.

But the best result I've obtained has been when we've connected the Primare combo to a pair of B&W683. Bigger sound, nicer sound for me.

But as the B&W683 has a bigger than desired footprint, I've almost decided that I'll get the MA-RS8. I've liked the definition in the highs and mids of the RS6 but I'm searching a bigger sound which I think it can be rendered by the RS8, and still being a tiny speaker.

Does anybody knows how many stars did RS8 got in the mag?

And for making it much more complicated, I'll think about the Primare i30 combined with the Primare CD21.

I'd like to apologise for my poor English.
emotion-19.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="fr0g"][quote user="smo"]

Does anybody knows how many stars did RS8 got in the mag?

[/quote]

Forget stars. Listen. Only you can decide. Sometimes magazine ratings are just confusing...For many bad WHF reviews you can find good reviews elsewhere (and vice-versa)... Its all subjective, and the only one who can subjectively give you an opinion you can rely on, is yourself.[/quote]

I totally agree what you say. It's just curiosity.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I think the RS8s got 4 stars but not quite sure. I agree though with the previous poster, some of the ratings I have not agreed on. I love my 840A (the first one) and it got three stars. My old Creek Evo was very nice too (840a is better) and it got four stars (albeit graded in the under £500 category and the 840 £750 ). I don't think you wil go wrong with the RS8s and Primare combo (or the CA combo).

A

Anonymous

Thanks again.

I'm almost decided with the speakers. They will be RS6 or RS8. I haven't listened to the RS8 but liked a lot the resolution of the RS6. I would like to find a little more bass and presence in the RS8 version.

I think the different ratings 4 and 5 stars between the two models are because of the quality/price relation, as 1000? for the sound the sound the RS6 produce with its nice finish is a very good price for a pair of speakers. Maybe the analyst don't think the extra bass of the RS8 is worth the extra 300?, or maybe they just enter in another price league.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts