How do you pronounce teac?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"]
"ee fills ee shotgun cartridges wi' ee carraway seed, puts ee cheese on
ee back step and gie's it baith barrels o' ee twel' bore. Not only does
'is gie us ee even distribution o' ee carraway seed through ee cheese,
it also has ee advantage o gettin rid o' all ee magguts"[/quote]

He's right - they all talk like that in Teddington.

A

Anonymous

at the risk of re-railing this thread back on to the topic... Grado: grade-oh or grad-oh? Beyerdynamic: bay-er-dynamic or buyer-dynamic? Sennheiser: senn-hi-sir or senn-hay-sir? Neat - neat (as in tidy) or knee-at? Ruark: rawk or rue-ark? Wharfedale: wharf-dale or wharf-ah-dale?
that might keep you guys busy for a minute or two...

A

Anonymous

I understand it was an abbreviation of Teledyne Acoustics, hence would/should be "tee-ack". Any other views?

John Duncan

[quote user="Jonathan_E"][quote user="Andrew Everard"]
JVC is jay-vee-see, not juvuc.
[/quote]

Unless you're texting, of course. [/quote]

In which case it's LUC, according to my predictive text.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
bayerdynamic, senn-hi-zir. neat as in tidy. rue-ark. wharf-dale. pa-na-so-nic. pie-o'near. soh-knee. and JVC is jay-vee-see, not juvuc.
[/quote]

right so i havent been embarrassing myself too much ;-) that said, i am surprised with how you say panasonic is pronounced - i have always said pan-ah-sonic but again i must digress i am australian... never heard anyone say anything else other than jay-vee-see - have i missed something or where you perhaps being facetious?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"]Hey, that's the one that nearly mowed down my son on the zebra crossing outside Pizza Express on Saturday...[/quote]

I'm sure that Volvo dealer in Teddington only closed down because someone had the dumb idea of trying to sell other models, when any fule kno every yummy mummy for miles around lusts after an XC90. Or possibly a second one for the nanny to use.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="ifitsoundsgoodlistentoit"] never heard anyone say anything else other than jay-vee-see - have i missed something or where you perhaps being facetious?[/quote]

Facetious, moi?

emotion-2.gif

John Duncan

To be replaced by a Honda garage, selling CR-Vs. And the CPZ will be coming in soon on WR, and the residents' parking will cost a fortune for second cars. Lucky we don't have a nanny.......

Did I just say that out loud?

Funnily enough, we have friends round today.................in their XC90.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="ifitsoundsgoodlistentoit"] never heard anyone say anything else other than jay-vee-see - have i missed something or where you perhaps being facetious?[/quote]

Facetious, moi?

emotion-2.gif

[/quote]

now, is that mwahh or moo-i? :-0

peanutfrenzy

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Did I just land on the TopGear forum? (Spot the intercap - thanks Clare)

So, to get back to the point, Rega - ree-gah or rey-gah? Or reggae, even? I understand that anyone over 32 would have been taught the correct pronunciation in school. But I'm 31 so just missed-out.

Oh, and any takers for Klipsch?

A

Anonymous

So does this make her the only singer to be named after the Australian for pick-up truck?
[/quote]

struth mate, i aint 'eard of this sheila before but it does look like it ;-) question is, is that a Ford Ute or a Holden... also, its not the "australian" for pick-up truck - its australians calling them what they are -utilitarian vehicles! how many "pick-up" trucks do you actually see being used as such... :-/

A

Anonymous

[quote user="peanutfrenzy"] Oh, and any takers for Klipsch [/quote]

i'll give it a go: clip-sh?

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="peanutfrenzy"]
Did I just land on the TopGear forum? (Spot the intercap - thanks Clare)

So, to get back to the point, Rega - ree-gah or rey-gah? Or reggae, even? I understand that anyone over 32 would have been taught the correct pronunciation in school. But I'm 31 so just missed-out.

Oh, and any takers for Klipsch?

[/quote]
I asked the fella in the Rega room at last year's Bristol HiFi show, he couldn't give me a definitive answer, I think it's rey-gah, but who knows??
Silly question, Andrew E will know!

TRENDING THREADS