How do you compare Naim UnitiQute v Unity 2 v SU v your current set up?

dariushifi

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Just last week I have auditioned Unitiqute v Uniti 2v SU. Liked all three of Naims. Tried them With mp3, Flac CD and Hi-res different files intensively for good three hours. (thanks to retailer).Started with the smallest Unitiqute and went up to SU. In a process I could sense how sound was changing each time and every time adding a bit more clarity, a bit more control over speakers, bass control was getting tighter. Especially by increasing the volume, SU ended sounding simply perfect to my taste. In a way that was one of the reason why I ended up ordering Unitiqute. I explain you why.

I live in a Flat and have only 14sqm living room, therefore loud music is a big No No. SU volume set at 40-45 is simply heaven to my ears, but can not imagine it at my place. I heard so much detail and I felt like an addict wanting for more and more, more volume more detail. Unitiqute sounded different but slightly more engaging at level 30-35, loudness option made bass just right to my taste.

The price was another reason for choosing Unitiqute over SU or Unity. 3 times ....It it is a big difference. Uniti 2 was the same 2.7 times difference only with CD tray which I don’t need. Yes, I agree, both of them sounded a bit more powerful a bit more detailed than Qute. Although that difference was getting more noticeable by increasing volume to the level which I am not going to listen to anyway. Having sad that, if I was going to go full Monty I would of gone for SU.

B&W 685 speakers in demo room sounded at their maximum best and were very satisfying. As I have 685’s at home myself, I was pleased that Naim brought them to next level. Before demo I was always under impression that if I buy one of Naim’s I will need to buy Proac or Neat speakers as well, but demo just proved something quite different. I decided to keep 685’s for some time as they are such a good value for a such detail sound together with Naim. Now, of cause more expensive Spendors, Neats, PMCs would sound different, but not necessarily better. I will try one day once I will be prepared to fork out £1500 or so for new speakers. It would have to be very convincing to justify 5 times price to beat my old 685’s

However, before I started listening to Qute at home, I realised that display appeared smaller than it looked in the shop and much smaller than my previous Onkyo 8050, I have struggled to scroll through file list sitting in my listening chair. I was used to read no problem before so that became very apparent and a bit annoying I should say. Apple owners would get around this with control apps, but not me. Once It started playing, it returned a smile on my face. Yes it sounded even better than at the shop. Gradually I started to forget small display issue and just enjoyed. Stereo image was striking and detail, instrument separation was better and especial hi-res files sounded as never before. I could feel more distinctive improvement between cd and hi-res files, than Onkyo’s. Another small annoying thing I found that it does not play consecutive folders. You have actually go back to library and choose one. Onkyo used to play it all day no problem in order files were in library.

Other than that very happy with Naims sound . 30 watt amp is surprisingly punchy and never past 40 volume mark. Even my wife have noticed that Qute sounded different from Onkyo, more detailed and ‘crisp’ she said. Qute is ideal for my low volume listening in our ordinary small London flat.

How do you compare Naim v your current system?

celsius

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
hi

i used to have the onkyo tx8050 but bought the unitiqute early this year and have been amazed how good it really is especially playing flac files. ok there are some annoying features like not being able to play consective folders but who cares when it sounds this good

dariushifi

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
I do agree with you on that. Once it starts playing, especialy Flac or Hi-res files as you rightly pointed out, small issues become even smaller or non existant. How do you find your CM 1's with Qute? Dealer strongly suggested me them. I like quality cabinet of them.

jjbomber

Enjoyed the post about keeping the speakers. It is your ears that matter and nothing else. Ignore the web and follow your instincts. I have a Supernait/Hi-Cap through Naim Ariva speakers. They absolutely rock, yet there are people on the net claiming that this is Naim's worst speaker, etc. I guess they mean that they can't afford them but, rather than admit that, find another excuse not to buy them. For the TV room, I have an n-VI with the Kef Reference Ones, C200 Centre and rears. I find the Kefs perfect for films, In the bedroom, we have a Uniti with Mission floorstanders. Yes, floorstanders in the bedroom is a bit ostentacious, but they gove me the 'live' feel that I crave.

Like you, I followed my ears, rather than the 'experts'. I like to listen to music, not hi-fis. I'm sure you will have a long and happy relationship with your new purchase.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts