How do i connect a NAS to Denon 3310?

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

Sorry for being thick but I have no clue.

I want to connect a Nas to my Denon 3310 AVR. Do i plug it into the Netgear router that is hard wired into the 3310?

Will my laptop running windows xp find it? How do I put my photos and i tunes on it ? will the Denon recognise it?

Some one please help me as I really want all my pictures, music etc accessable through the Denon.

I am considering the Iomega 1TB. Any other recommendations.

Many thanks all I really appreciate it and need your help

ric

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes, you plug it into the router, and yes your computer and receiver should find it no problem assuming the NAS has DLNA/UPnP media server software installed.

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Many thanks Andrew,

Do I also need to connect the NAS via Hdmi to the Net/USB input on the 3310?

I will coming to WHF on Wed to take part in the "Big question" so maybe I can get some first hand advice from the guru's over this whole NAS subject?

Thanks once again

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
ric71:
Many thanks Andrew,

They're completely different connectors, so no. Both should be connected to your router (the amp and the NAS).

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
the_lhc:ric71:
Many thanks Andrew,

They're completely different connectors, so no. Both should be connected to your router (the amp and the NAS).

So all media, I know im slow sorry, will be passed via ethernet and if so do I need high quality ethernet cables as plan to listen to music?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Yes all will be passed from the NAS via the router to your 3310 and then the tv/speakers. No you dont need high quality ethernet cable.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
ric71:the_lhc:ric71:
Many thanks Andrew,

So all media, I know im slow sorry, will be passed via ethernet and if so do I need high quality ethernet cables as plan to listen to music?

There isn't really any such thing as "high quality ethernet cables", so don't go to PC World and pay stupid amounts of money for a Belkin cable, find a friendly, independent PC shop and they should be able to run you off however much you need. Ask for Cat 6 cable.

The network cable will not affect the audio quality incidentally, as it doesn't carry audio.

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Many thanks and I presume when you say it doesnt carry audio the denon will decode the incoming signal into audio and or picture?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
ric71:Many thanks and I presume when you say it doesnt carry audio the denon will decode the incoming signal into audio and or picture?

Zigackly, ethernet carries data, it doesn't become audio (or video) until the receiver processes it.

A

Anonymous

ric71:Many thanks and I presume when you say it doesnt carry audio the denon will decode the incoming signal into audio and or picture?

You are aware the Denon supports these formats only over network?

WMA (WindowsMedia Audio) 32/44.1/48kHz 48 ~ 192kbps .wma
MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer-3) 32/44.1/48kHz 32 ~ 320kbps .mp3
WAV 32/44.1/48kHz - .wav
MPEG-4 AAC 32/44.1/48kHz 16 ~ 320kbps .aac/.m4a/.mp4
FLAC (FreeLossless Audio Codec) 32/44.1/48kHz - .flac

JPEG

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Will I be able to store apple lossless and play it through the 3310 this way,( NAS) and poss may want to store full 1080p and master audio movies in the future.

If not what is the best and easiest method

Thanks

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
No, the Denon will play neither Apple Lossless nor movies over a network. To do this you'll need to add on a device such as the Apple TV, but AFAIK while this will stream 1080p it will only output it in 720p

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts