How cheap are cd's at the moment?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Dom

I once bought a Jazz CD from a small pub show in Ireland, Dublin. It cost me a tenner and it sounded great. I forgotten the band name and I have lost the CD from all thoughs years ago. Just saying that quality can be found in unexpected places, and I bought a Guiness, yuck.

jjbomber

At a recent Eric Gales gig they were asking £20 for his latest CD, which could be had for £9.99 online. Last Saturday night it was £15 for a CD elsewhere at a different gig. I don't mind paying about a tenner for a CD after the show, but above that it's too much for me. Maybe I'm just tight?
It's set by the record company. The artist hasn't any legal control over the prices.

AJM1981

If you are simply after content, then CDs - even SACDs- are the answer, especially at bargain prices.HOWEVER, if you are seeking incomparable warmth of reproduction IMHO there's still no alternative to vinyl.

Vinyl recordings which have been processed into any high quality audio format? There should not be any difference as all frequencies are registered.

record_spot

I've noticed that the prices of new CDs have gone up in price at the merchandise stands at live gigs, well at least the handful I've been to recently. I'm not an arena person myself, I much prefer the small local gig, a tenner on the door type of thing. At a recent Eric Gales gig they were asking £20 for his latest CD, which could be had for £9.99 online. Last Saturday night it was £15 for a CD elsewhere at a different gig. I don't mind paying about a tenner for a CD after the show, but above that it's too much for me. Maybe I'm just tight?

Probably down to what the venue charges the band for their merchandise - can be as high as 25% in some places. By the time you factor in cost to make the thing, selling at the online price you'll get it from Amazon must make for a tight margin by the time the venue's cut comes out the pot.

WayneKerr

Think I've only had half a dozen really bad CDs from Magpie which wouldn't even rip, (they refunded me and didn't want them returned). Many have been in rather poor condition but have ripped successfully.

singularity6

Oct 3, 2022
Visit site
CD costs have been mixed for me, lately. Some are very affordable (less than $20 US.) Others cost me a lot more (the new Tool album was $50 new.)

I've been a CD collector since the mid-90's. I tried getting into vinyl probably around the end of the 90's, but ran into a number of issues... records were harder to come by for the most part, they're a lot larger and harder manage. Also, my belt-driven record player died and I didn't have the money to fix it then.

All that being said, I have a lot more money, my own house and plenty of storage space now. I still prefer CDs. And after reading this article, I kinda felt a bit vindicated:

The One

Aug 31, 2022
Visit site
I'am looking at the new Marantz cd 60. But isn't Vinyl the best especialy with rock and heavy metal which is on cd mostly bad recorded because of the loudness war. On Vinyl this isn't possible.

Gray

I'am looking at the new Marantz cd 60. But isn't Vinyl the best especialy with rock and heavy metal which is on cd mostly bad recorded because of the loudness war. On Vinyl this isn't possible.
It is most certainly possible for loudness to be on vinyl, just more commonly on CD.
Buy your CD player with confidence - you will probably discover that the best CDs sound better than the best vinyl.

Reactions: WayneKerr

MrSinghsStereo

Feb 22, 2022
Visit site
It is most certainly possible for loudness to be on vinyl, just more commonly on CD.
Buy your CD player with confidence - you will probably discover that the best CDs sound better than the best vinyl.
If the vinyl is a reissue if a digital master than it will be hamstrung by the compression of dynamic range just as CDs were .
for a long time I preferred the sound of LP > cd > server > streamer but recently sold my rp10 as part of a downsize .Well recorded CDs continue to sound better than anything I stream . The resurgence of cd and high quality CD players is a good thing and a lot of manufacturers are paying particular attention to the quality of the cd transport mechanism .

Wilts Hobbit

Sep 24, 2021
Visit site
Me too. Some of the best sounding discs have come from charity shops.

Prices will fluctuate depending on popularity of the format.
Myself also, probably should of added the word "used" to the title of this post 😄, there are a few charity shops near me I go to where I can buy 10 discs for £3 or 20 for a fiver, currently buying around 10 to 15 discs a week 😉

Reactions: aversaurus

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts